BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:42:57 AM EDT
need info for a letter to editor.
thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK- the rifle must be over 26" when fully extended.

IIRC the underfolding AKs are 25" +/- with the stock folded.

Open to correction as I'm not overly familiar.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
"The term ''short-barreled rifle'' means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches."

28 USC 921(a)(8).

A Chinese AK underfolder is 25 3/4 inches long when the stock is folded.  A California state court held that the measurement is made with the stock folded, and that that such a firearm was a short barreled rifle under state law (which was virtually identical to the federal statute).  I believe that there is a Michigan Attorney General opinion reaching the same conclusion.  Nevertheless, that does not appear to be the case under federal law.  

It appears (and several non-authorative sources state) that the measurement is made with the stock extended under Federal law (otherwise underfolding AKs would not have been importable except as NFA items).  But I searched the U.S. Code, the Code of Federal Regulations, the Federal Register, and federal case law, and I didn't find anything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Michigan = under 30 inches is a "pistol" (purchase permit required) and under 26" is an illegal SBR
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
thank you guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top