Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 3:33:00 AM EDT
11:41am (UK)
Suspected Iranian Nuclear Site Alarms U.S.

"PA"

The US expressed alarm today about a possible Iranian nuclear weapons related test site and accused the UN nuclear watchdog agency of keeping silent on its own concerns about the issue.

A senior member of the US delegation at the International Atomic Energy Agency’s board of governors said Washington was suspicious that Iran’s Parchin complex, south-east of the capital, Tehran, is being used by the Islamic Republic to test high explosives, possibly with applications to nuclear weapons.

He spoke as US and European negotiators moved closer to agreement to censure Iran for reneging on a freeze on uranium enrichment and setting a deadline for Tehran to dispel suspicions it is trying to make nuclear arms.

“This is a serious omission,” on the part of IAEA director general Mohamed ElBaradei, said the official, alluding to the lack of specific mention on Parchin in a report written for the board by ElBaradei on the status of a probe into Iran’s nuclear activities.

The official said the United States would “go to the other board members” meeting in Vienna and make sure the suspicious site is considered in any Iran resolution submitted to the board meeting.

Iran said the suspicions were false.

“Parchin has nothing to do with nuclear-related activities,” said Hossein Mousavian, Tehran’s chief delegate to the board meeting.

He denied reports the IAEA had asked to visit the site but said agency inspectors could do so if they wanted.

“Iran is fully prepared for cooperation” on Parchin, he said.

news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3505051
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Let the Israelis snuff it out, we'll provide the sat-com
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Iran is next on the list.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
We should hit it with, oh... about 100 cruise missiles.
Then deny it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Can the Israelis borrow some of our Nighthawks? (F-117)

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
US debates military strikes on 'nuclear Iran'

The Bush administration's warnings that it will not "tolerate" a nuclear-armed Iran have opened up a lively policy debate in Washington over the merits of military strikes against the Islamic republic's nuclear programme.

Analysts close to the administration say military options are under consideration, but have not reached a level of seriousness that indicate the US is preparing actual action.

When asked, senior officials repeat that President George W. Bush is removing no option from the table - but that he believes the issue can be solved by diplomatic means.

full article
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if bombing the crap out of iran would help W or hurt him. Americans do love blowing stuff up but will the general public trust him, he lost some trust with the iraq WMD situation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wonder if bombing the crap out of iran would help W or hurt him. Americans do love blowing stuff up but will the general public trust him, he lost some trust with the iraq WMD situation.

IMO we will not outwardly attack Iran.  We may "help" push them towards a leadership change but I don't think we'll hit them with bombs or troops.  Keep in mind that no matter what we do over there we'll be painted in a bad light and no matter what GW does he'll be attacked by the media.  And since the majority of Americans only listen to mainstream media they are only getting the liberal slant...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO we will not outwardly attack Iran.  We may "help" push them towards a leadership change but I don't think we'll hit them with bombs or troops.  Keep in mind that no matter what we do over there we'll be painted in a bad light and no matter what GW does he'll be attacked by the media.  And since the majority of Americans only listen to mainstream media they are only getting the liberal slant...

I think we should bomb em.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't we already know they were going for nukes? Why is this suprising? And further, what does John Kerry think we ought to do about this? He's so smart, tell us how to fix this one Mr. International policy....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a CBS planted story to distract from the memo...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think we should bomb em.

Me too
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is a CBS planted story to distract from the memo...

+1

CBS is looking for anything distraction to take the heat off of Rather...I wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually replaced because the blogs are not going to let this die quietly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Dubya just needs to wait until after the elections...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Thats the next target after W wins.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Help the Israelis to sabotage their first live test.  Nothing like a nuclear "accident" that wipes Tehran from the map that the libs can only blame on Iran's own weapons program.

Same goes for North Korea.  Why use our expensive and politically charged ordinance when theirs will do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
T'would be a shame if they were to have a little "accident" with one of their nuke programs...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top