Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 2:34:54 AM EDT
Police: Country Day hazing not a felony

Kelly Cramer
[email protected]

The Country Day High School senior cheerleaders who taught nine unwilling, blindfolded freshmen how to perform oral sex did not commit a felony, according to police and state laws.

The incident was not legally a sexual assault because the five older girls likely derived no sexual gratification nor did they intend for the freshmen to be gratified from sucking on condom-covered bananas, smearing white mashed banana on the younger girls' mouths while they were on their knees or rubbing the fruit on the younger girls' bodies.

Had the girls intended their actions to be sexual, it would have been a felony.

But, neither they, nor the boys they invited to watch, exposed their genitals or touched those of the freshmen, although the girls were told they were feeling penises.

At least one boy moaned just before the older teens rubbed the banana into the girls' faces.

"It is boorish behavior," said former U.S. Attorney Donnie Dixon. "Just disgusting. "But I'm having trouble bringing it into focus on any criminal statute."

The unwelcome touching is at most misdemeanor simple battery, he said.

Georgia's sexual assault laws require a showing of sexual gratification or some sort of sexual intent on the part of the assailant.

Without consulting the district attorney's office, the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department concluded its investigation into the Aug. 4 incident, which took place on the dock down the street from one of the senior girls' homes. Her parents were inside the house, according the detailed, four-page report. One of the names of the seniors was released but none of the names of the victims, nor any parents were released.

No charges will be filed, police spokesman Bucky Burnsed said. None of the nine victims' parents wanted to pursue criminal action. Officers gave the parents information on how to press charges if they change their minds. If they do, Chief Assistant District Attorney David Lock said the case would be reopened.

In the report, Sex Crimes Investigator Sgt. Harry Trawick said: "I respectfully request that the police department defer to the wishes of the nine sets of parents who do not wish to prosecute and close this case by services."

The report quotes Country Day Headmaster Thomas Bonnell saying the victims' parents plan to pursue a civil lawsuit.

Police also cleared Bonnell of any wrongdoing in failing to report the incident to police.

The school's attorney could not be reached for comment due to a family emergency.

www.savannahnow.com/stories/091504/2444268.shtml
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Aww hell, high school hazing could be much worse

- BG
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]

"Welcome to the cheerleading squad.
Now suck off these guys..."

Wow. I went to the wrong high school.
How things have changed in the last
ten years...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wasn't there a Monty Python skit about something like this....................

First, you take the bananna! Then you eat the bananna! You have now rendered him helpless!

Knowing the possibilities now, I will be re-watching that skit to teach myself how to defend myself against someone who attacks me with fresh fruit....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Am I to understand that the basic law is that if nobody sexually "Gets Off" on the act, it is not considered a sexual act?

If that is the case, what of this could be applied to Abu Graihb(sp)?

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, you take the bananna! Then you eat the bananna! You have now rendered him helpless!

Knowing the possibilities now, I will be re-watching that skit to teach myself how to defend myself against someone who attacks me with fresh fruit....

What if someone attacks you with a pointed stick?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Ithink a pointed stick would hurt, even with a condom.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pointed sticks? Ho, ho, ho. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me! Now, the passion fruit. When your assailant lunges at you with a passion fruit, thus...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The above article was the hottest thing I have ever read.

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The sad thing is that it seems to be writtten like that intentionally.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Reason # 9457568 why arowneragian's kids will probably get home-schooled.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pointed sticks? Ho, ho, ho. We want to learn how to defend ourselves against pointed sticks, do we? Getting all high and mighty, eh? Fresh fruit not good enough for you eh? Well I'll tell you something my lad. When you're walking home tonight and some great homicidal maniac comes after you with a bunch of loganberries, don't come crying to me! Now, the passion fruit. When your assailant lunges at you with a passion fruit, thus...

Monty Python RULES!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
i am sorry but to me it doesnt look like they where unwilling i dont  know to many people who will put on a blind fold if they are unwilling to do something sory to me it just sounds like the parents found out and got mad an the kids changed their story or the school found out and pressured them into saying they where unwilling i cant see someone putting on a blind fold without being willing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
This kind of stuff never happened to me in high school
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you try out for the chearleading squad?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Here you go!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]
LMAO!! Thanks I needed that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not surprised about the legal opinion. These are kids of some very influential people and the parents don't want their names dragged through the mud any worse than they have been already.  Savannah Country Day is the prep school where all the bluebloods go around here and the tuition is something like $14,000 a year. The 5 senior cheerleaders were expelled. I think 2 of them got into "lower class" private schools and the other 3 ended up in public schools. That hit them where it hurts because their reputations and social staus ended up getting trashed worse than the Escambia Bay bridge. BTW, The juvenile justice system would have just slapped them on the wrist because they were first offenders. At first the school tried to keep it quiet, but the press got wind of it and the story leaked out. The press really poured on the coal because they smelled a coverup in the making.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a pointed stick, a crate of raspberries, AND a whole bunch of banannas.

I am deadly.

Monty Python rules all.

That is all....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought this was going to lead to the "banana in the tailpipe" story.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Am I to understand that the basic law is that if nobody sexually "Gets Off" on the act, it is not considered a sexual act?

If that is the case, what of this could be applied to Abu Graihb(sp)?

ktm500

Absoutely nothing considering that Abu Ghraib took place in Iraq, not Georgia.
We bought you something, Billy. It's an anti-banana disguise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I thought this was going to lead to the "banana in the tailpipe" story.

If it did, maybe someone would have been charged.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top