Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 5:58:21 PM EDT
I have a couple teeth that are bothering me. I think they are cavities that are gonna need drilled and filled. How many of you guys get the novacaine and how many suffer through the pain?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nerves are shot here, so I never get a local.  If it does hurt (i.e. deeper caries), then I manage.  You leave feeling fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hundreds of years of advancement in medical science... I take advantage of every one I can.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you actually discussing getting a filling without anesthetic?

HA! Post pics if you do!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
take the pain (but ask for some groovy pain pills for later).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Why suffer, get the  novacaine. Our local Dentist dose such a good job of numbing ya' up that you don't feel a thing, I like going to him, he's a very good Dentist. I had him pull a tooth a year or so ago, just felt the tugging, no pain, it was great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If they're already painful, then you may need to go with the Local, Snaggle tooth.

I've had small ones done years back with out, and the pain was much less than the fucking needle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Novacaine here. Suffering through the pain when you don't have to is stupid IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Take the pain killer.  Anyone who suffers through pain to prove to themselves or others that they're tough obviously hasn't led a challenging enough life!

If there are other, valid reasons for not taking pain killers, disregard the above.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I can deal with a fair amount of pain........ until it comes to my teeth ........

Take the pillz.... or whatever you can get your grubby little hands on...

Why suffer ??  Honestly ??   Take some meds.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a real problem with overly sensitive teeth, so I get it.  I have had as many as 5 full syringes full and could still feel a lot of pain.  Slobber was running out of my mouth and my entire head felt numb, but that drill was killing me.  Finally just sweated through it.  Sucks...

I finally found one dentist who could numb me good.  She said that she used to work on an Indian reservation and their nerves are different and that mine was similar to theirs, so she did good...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ten replies in the first 5 minutes.  I guess people have something to say about this!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I promise you will regret not being anesthetized.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember reading about Herschel Walker getting his wisdom teeth puled with no anesthetic(He was supposedly Mr. natural)...youch!!

Anyhow,when I was about 18,I had my wisdom teeth pulled.Got shot up with the novicain and all,but it wasn't enough...could still feel quite a bit a pain,but being dumbass,I thought back to what I had read about Walker and thought I could just tough it out like him and didn't say nothin...well,that lasted for about a minute when beads of sweat were running down my forehead and I busted out and told the dentist to shoot me up again because he was tearin the ass outta me..

Just take the painkillers dude...like someone else mentioned,all theses medical advancements are here to make you more comfortable...no reason to go caveman,unless you get some sorta kick outta excrutiating pain or somethin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Novacaine here. Suffering through the pain when you don't have to is stupid IMO.

A-freakin'-men. Eye, ear or teeth pain- if there's something worse, I do NOT want to know about them.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I  have small fillings done without novacaine.  The little pain you get from those is less than the needle imho.  For the bigger ones, I want the novacaine.  Pain from drilling is one of the worst kinds, imho.   If they are bothering you, you will probably want novacaine.  Don't try to prove yourself by refusing novacaine if thats what you are thinking of doing.

Hoppy8420
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I personally can't tell the difference in pain either way.  Although, I don't really consider it pain, more of a really weird grinding feeling.

PS: I'm 17 and have had 3 fillings.  Two about five or six years ago, and one refill about two years ago.  The first two were without the shot because I hate needles, and the last one was with the shot, no noticable difference, ecxept of course that the third time my face felt like a marshmallow for a few hours afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never heard anyone say, "man, I wish I hadn't taken that novocain so I could have felt the agony of dental tools grating and grinding on my raw nerves".

My doc pre-medicates me with Vallium before I walk in the door.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Lidocaine is your friend
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Are you actually discussing getting a filling without anesthetic?

HA! Post pics if you do!

Hell, when I was a kid all cavities were filled withouth novacaine!

Only had one cavity filled since then, and that was with novacaine.

I prefer the novacaine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Like Aahhyes68, I can deal with pain until you start fiddling with my teeth. F#*& that noise! Give
me the drugs.

As Pangea said, give me the happy pill before I go in, then shoot me full of painkiller so I
don't have a clue what the dentist is doing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ten replies in the first 5 minutes.  I guess people have something to say about this!

Anyone remember the scene from Marathon Man?

“Is it safe? (drilling sound and screams) Is it safe? (more drilling and shrieks of pain ) IS IT SAFE!!!”
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Pain killers are our friends
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
had one cavity-no novacaine. no big deal.  had 2 cavities, different sides, got novocaine for one.  preferred  no drug.  i am alot older now and i will go with the drugs!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
These are molars. I expect lots of grinding. I think I need the novacaine. My Dad gets it done without. I must be one of the weaker generations
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Lidocaine is your friend

Yeah,  My dentist told me novacaine hasn't been used in years.  Something about 1 in 10,000 would die from the novacaine.    He also rubs the gums with a topical anestheic (sp?) so I only feel a slight tug when he injects the lidocaine.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I prefer the old way of Nitrous Oxide, you may feel the pain but your so farking high who cares.  My dentist from long ago had mountain pictures that I swore that I was flying through.

I can't stand lidocaine, drooling for the next hour or two sucks.  I had two teeth ground into posts for a bridge with no anesthetic, it sucked during the drilling but after just had a dull pain that motrin took care of no problem.  Yes, Lidocaine works intially but my nerves seem to just store up all that pain sensation, when the lidocaine wears off and usually not slowing, I get hit with a lot of pain.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
i got my back teeth done without any its not to bad just dont think about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a feeling a filling a couple years ago and it was shallow so they didn't use a local.  It was no problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
the drilling doesnt actually hurt just hope they dont fuck up and go to deep
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a couple of cavities drilled w/o any novocain, and if I ever go back to a dentist it will be one that can totally knock me out.

Sedation Dentistry!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll take all the novacaine I can get, plus one more.

Then while she(he) is drilling, I go to my "Happy Place", which usually involves some idiotic picture on the wall, or count ceiling tiles, while I ignore the awful sound and the stench of my tooth being burnt away.

Then, when She(he) finally gets down to the nerve that is not yet numb, I try to act like it is all good as I writhe in the chair and choke on the spittle that the little suction tube (God, I hate the sound that thing makes) is not sucking out of the back of my throat. Ten minutes later, the drilling stops, if I am lucky.

I should ask for gas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Ya better get the shot(s).  Nothing worse in the dental chair than breaking into a cold sweat, blacking out from the pain, and then waking up a few minutes later with the aroma of burning tooth (from the grinding) floating through the air.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had 3 fillings, and an absesed tooth (nerves rotted from one of those fillings going bad).  Two of those fillings I had done without the juice since they weren't deep enough to touch any major nerves.  I tell you what though,  having that absessed tooth and the nerves literally rotting was the worst pain i've ever felt.  I had a metal brace in my mouth that was literally cemented to the absessed tooth to move my jaw and the orthodontist had to use a minture drill and can opener to get that off while I was almost blacking out from the pain.  Blood everywhere. Had to go to the ER and get some demerol just to be able to get some sleep after 3 days up straight.  Got a root canal as early as my endodontist would take me Monday morning.  Walking out of his office was the most relief i've ever felt.  Damn it felt good to eat something after 2.5 days without food and some sips of water (anything touching that tooth or changing my mouth temp. sent waves of excrutiating pain).  Back on topic though, if the cavities are giving you any kinding of pain then it's close to a nerve and you need to get the juice.  If you can't feel the cavities it's probably shallow enough to skip the juice and you won't need it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Dont ask me, I cant remember the last time I went to the dentist.  I'm an antidentite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone remember the scene from Marathon Man?

“Is it safe? (drilling sound and screams) Is it safe? (more drilling and shrieks of pain ) IS IT SAFE!!!”

Classic!  Yes, you could almost feel the pain by watching that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Get both!

Oh, er, um, sorry.  I guess that won't work here.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Get novacaine plus the laughing gas. With that weird dentist music they play its a strange experience I grown to like After you have the mask on your nose for awhile, try not breathing for 30 sec, you will feel the gas build up in the mask then breath in hard then youll feel this warm numb tingly feeling all throughout your body. Dont say much to your dentist, I once asked him if he was playing a cd becuase I thought the music was skipping, he turned the gas down after that. Its worth the extra money to get the gas!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I want the happy pill before I ever even get to the office,

Gas AS SOON AS I WALK in the door,

and topical pain killer prior to the novicaine injection(s).

I hate the dentist.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#42]
haha....painkillers never worked on me.

I had a nice motorcycle accident back when I was 18....crashed an R6 and got some nice road rash (jeans dont stop pavement) in my knee. Pretty much 2 quarter/half dollar sized holes in my knee that needed to be cleaned and sewn. The nurse came around, gave me the local anesthetic....and told me to wait a minute and the other nurse would be back to clean the wound soon. 2 hours later, he came back, local anesthetic was worn off. Proceeded to clean the wound with steel wool like stuff, and other "instruments". I felt every single bit of it. I didn't like it, but after being in the hospital 3 hours and hearing the asshole old man in the bed next to me screaming and yelling about how he DIDNT NEED TO BE IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A HERNIA...I was ready to get out of there.

He asked why I kept "cringing" when he went to "mop" the area....I told him I could feel it, and to get it over with. He had the "anesthetic nurse" come back and give me more local painkiller. 2 hours later, doc came back to sew the wound up. I knew what I was in store for, he sewed the damn thing up, every time he hit my knee I would jerk a little bit but just grinned and beared it.

After he was done, he looked at me and went "Can you feel that? Did the nurse come by?"

"Yes, Yes....2 hours ago."

Shock does some amazing things to the mind. I also had a broken collarbone and road rash on my side that didnt need stitches (road rash burns off layers off skin at a time...think sandpaper...) - I never got painkillers for any of it.

If given the choice, I would probably have opted for the painkillers ;)

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't get novacaine, my dentist doesn't use gas or I would take that. I got my fillings and a crown done without. He is pretty fast though so usually there only a few minutes of pain.

I freakin hate biting my lips, drooling all over myself and the feeling of it wearing off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Dont ask me, I cant remember the last time I went to the dentist.  I'm an antidentite.

"Hey- nice tooth!"
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#45]
No way I would get anything done with out antesthetic. I had a Navy Dentist pull my wisdom teeth, and he ripped the first one out before the anesthetic had set in. It hurt so bad I couldn't even scream. I passed out after that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I have a couple teeth that are bothering me. I think they are cavities that are gonna need drilled and filled. How many of you guys get the novacaine and how many suffer through the pain?

..................NOVACAINE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Remember the guy who wanted to pop out his own wisdom teeth (yes plural) a few months ago? That was beautiful.

I think they charge 50 - 100 dollars more for the gas? DO IT. If not, post the video.
-Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top