Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:13:44 PM EDT
I remember a few years back the Olympic guys/gals were all over the board.
They had a fire and there were some words.  (I don't remember the particulars)
Then, they went away.
Anyone want to fill in any blank spots?

I don't want to pick at any wounds so, feel free to hit the old lock/delete button if it
seems needed.

I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Had to do with Olympic's fire and the resulting loss of orders, inventory, and related issues, IIRC.

My buddy Garandman likes Olympic products. I don't.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Cliff-notes version from someone who wasn't around then, either....

Oly figured out there was a niche for non-tactical AR sales, and as the explored it, their products gained a bad rep here, as they were no longer uber-tactical.

That + some real QC issues a few years back made 'em take their ball and go home.

You gotta admit, though, they aren't very afraid to bring a new product to market.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
They were ran off by the members here.  I can remember him crying that Goatboy allowed us to talk bad about their company.  That idiot Tom couldn't understand why everyone didn't like his "Tighter Tollerance" shit guns!

I wouldn't bag on OLY so hard if it weren't for that moron from OLY having the gall to claim that OLY had tighter tollerance guns than the other manufacturers.  As if everyone else was doing it wrong, and only OLY had the formula right!  

Edit to add:  I read here that those cock roaches at OLY charged their customers for the Tour of their Junk Factory!  What a real Class Act!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They were ran off by the members here.  I can remember him crying that Goatboy allowed us to talk bad about their company.  That idiot Tom couldn't understand why everyone didn't like his "Tighter Tollerance" shit guns!

I wouldn't bag on OLY so hard if it weren't for that moron from OLY having the gall to claim that OLY had tighter tollerance guns than the other manufacturers.  As if everyone else was doing it wrong, and only OLY had the formula right!  

Edit to add:  I read here that those cock roaches at OLY charged their customers for the Tour of their Junk Factory!  What a real Class Act!

Ah, the ole Tom S....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cliff-notes version from someone who wasn't around then, either....

I was around back then but was working 100+ hours a week and couldn't keep up with all
the drama.  I am merely trying to fill in the blanks in what I remember without starting a
shit storm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]

You gotta admit, though, they aren't very afraid to bring a new product to market.

I also like that and respect them for that, but I will never forgive their rude support over the phone.  I have an Oly lower with a mag catch that's too high.  The bolt hits the feedlips on the mag and won't close.  I paid way too much for a single-shot 223 rifle.z
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
wow...never heard this one
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to their facility outside of Olympia WA (called ahead to make sure a visit was cool w/ them, and was told it was), and was COMPLETELY stunned at the parade of assholes I encountered there. Maybe it's different now, maybe not.

I was respectful, and interested in their company, at the time. I have since chosen to focus my hard earned dollars in the direction of those I feel are MUCH more professional, value their customers, and place a large emphasis on QUALITY firearms. Bushmaster & DSArms leap to mind. Olympic could learn many valuable lessons from both of those companies.

Some may have a different impression of the company, and that's great....buy your Oly Arms AR's and enjoy them. Their facility, seriously, looked like a second rate large scale body shop. That didn't put me off NEARLY as much as the handful of moronic company reps I talked to. In their defense, one guy in their front office, wasn't rude, and was actually a little bit informative and welcoming.

Other than that, assholes and a dump of a facility. Personally, I'll buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
OA2.org is not associated with Olympic Arms.
It says so right at the bottom of the web page.

Hey markm, what other AR15 manufacturer is offering a tour of the manufacturing facility, a BBQ and range time with their firearms?

Clot?
Bushhampster?
Fake-a-lite?

Yea, I thought so.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
???
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OA2.org is not associated with Olympic Arms.
It says so right at the bottom of the web page.

Hey markm, what other AR15 manufacturer is offering a tour of the manufacturing facility, a BBQ and range time with their firearms?

Clot?
Bushhampster?
Fake-a-lite?

Yea, I thought so.

Um..... Cavalry Arms and Ameetec..... yesterday....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No worries on asking about this. Like I said, when the OA2 site first went up Tom took the time to personally bash, insult and lie about us, so you may get a few upset people who recall those days in their reply.

I remember those days, and between that and my first hand experience at their facility, I don't need to see/read/hear anything further.

I do agree that supporting American arms makers is in EVERYONES best interest on a macro level. On a professional micro level, my opinion of them is not good....at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yea, I thought so.

Just went to CavArms yesterday.  Food and All.  Don't be mad at me because you bought a POS <Removed following demand to do so by KA3B>.

And it's spelled "Yeah"!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
<Removed--not cool, accounts are locked for this.>
I don't own an Oly.
I have before. Never had any problems with them.
Never had any problems with any AR15's I have owned.

Quoted:
Just went to CavArms yesterday.  Food and All.  Don't be mad at me because you bought a POS, Pee Pee head.
And it's spelled "Yeah"!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
POPCORN!!! j\k
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Beekeep, that's why the smile is there.
You know that Tom S runs the Oly web site.

Quoted:
I've dealt with all the companies you mention.  If you believe the web site is in no way associated with Olympic Arms, then you are terribly naive.  
Whoever runs their website can kiss my ass.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Tom felt that he should not have to support the site since they had been here for years without having been asked to pay a dime. (To this day I am confused by that logic.) He was also upset that we maintained a COLT forum when they were not directly supporting the site. We explained the reasons for the COLT forum were in honor of the use of the "AR-15" name, but he didn't seem to care. Finally, things got a bit ugly when we removed their forum from the Industry board and Tom started public arguments. Eventually he started an Olympic Arms Owners Association board and opened it with some wonderful posts bashing us and the site. To this day he, nor anyone at Olympic Arms, has apologized or made an effort to contact us.

Man, I was just about to mention this.

Tom gave Oly a very bad name with some of his nasty public comments about "why should Oly pay when Colt wasn't". The fact that Colt could have made things difficult because of the use of AR15 in the name of the site, and that the courtesy of letting them have a free forum was appropriate, were points that could not be drilled through his apparently very thick skull.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
IMHO Tom is the main problem at Olympic Arms and the company shouldn't be given a black eye for his actions. Personally, I will never purchase or recommend an Oly product while he's involved with the company.

That is all anyone really needs to know about Olympic...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow.....I feel a group hug coming on....lemme go get my kevlar vest, first, though.

Hey, did I mention I have an oly?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

DIE, ASSHOLE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DIE, ASSHOLE!!!!

If he keeps his head close to that thing while he's firing it, he probably will.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Interesting info........
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]
wow, I was around then (I think) and don't remember anything like that!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wow.....I feel a group hug coming on....lemme go get my kevlar vest, first, though.

Hey, I might believe you have an Oly, but I won't believe something isn't screwed up on it...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You only have three thousand posts!

Of course you missed it!  You need to LIVE ON THE SITE!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
IMHO Tom is the main problem at Olympic Arms and the company shouldn't be given a black eye for his actions.

He is no more charming in person at the gunshow.

First class maroon.

Surely we can find one person who doesnt think he's a first class asshole. His Mom perhaps?

Nah...I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#39]
What ever happened to "olyhater"? I think that was his name. Didn't they also protest his username and how it was unfair and stuff? That wasn't you was it Mark?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
He is no more charming in person at the gunshow.

First class maroon.

+1 on that. I have met him as well, and C.V's sentiment is VERY generous IMO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Now I know why CavVet was so interested in trading me a pre-ban Oly lower!

OT: Hiram...I'll have those photo's emailed to you by the weekend if you're still interested. Feel free to contact me if there's anything in particular you would like to discuss.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
In their defense one of my Oly's was near the top of my list. It performed above my expectations and I never had a problem with it jamming or anything! (And I put some good and some CRAP ammo through it!) It was one of my first ARs and built before the fire and changes.

I believe their assembled rifles in many cases were in a different world than some lowers they sold...I had huge problems with the cast lowers, and subsequent customer service problems with Tom S...that is what turned me off of Oly. I had a pre-ban stop sign lower gun that performed great, although the lower and upper fit was super, super tight...lol
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You only have three thousand posts!

Of course you missed it!  You need to LIVE ON THE SITE!

I'm a fuckin' slacker!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#45]
My experience with Oly has been nothing but positive... Good service, great rifle (very tight fit between the reciever halves, and a 'full circle' bolt carrier (M16 carrier with only a slot to prevent sear engagement)), and no problems whatsoever...

However, from what I read, they basically decided that they didn't want to pay to keep a forum here, and were of the opinion that the folks here wern't their target market...

Personally, I could care less what heppend before I came here. I love the gun, the price was great, and it's very accurate & 100% reliable. Untill I have a problem with an Oly product, I'll probably keep buying from 'em too...

Some folks don't like them because they won't do 'tactical' features like chrome plating... Oly repeats the common statment that chrome degrades accuracy... For me, this doesn't matter. I don't subject my stuff to conditions where chrome would be of use, and don't ever see a need for 'tactical' stuff to shoot bulls-eyes, which is what I use the gun for...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread makes my pee pee hurt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My first ever AR15 was an Oly.

It was also the only AR I ever had so much trouble with, I had to call the manufacturer.

It was the first, and only AR15, I ever sold.

I dont own any Oly's anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Clot?
Bushhampster?
Fake-a-lite?

Yea, I thought so.

you are really gonna say that oly makes a better AR than Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt????
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now I know why CavVet was so interested in trading me a pre-ban Oly lower!

OT: Hiram...I'll have those photo's emailed to you by the weekend if you're still interested. Feel free to contact me if there's anything in particular you would like to discuss.

[email protected]

menage et firearm???  

And HR, It aint like I dont have more of 'em. The only reason this one is leaving is because you are behind the lines and I am free. If we were all free, I would be keeping that one and building more..

All my Oly guns run just fine like TBK1 said, its Spitwad who is the first class asshole. M4 was right. Maroon was an insult to real maroons.

One non mag related failure between all of them over the years. I broke an ejector pin (Factory Colt bolt) after 3k rounds without cleaning. Fire, FTE, clear, fire, FTE, clear....

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Olympic arms guns are made out of recycled beer cans that they've drank while making them!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top