Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 4:57:14 PM EDT
I bought a new stock for my RRA AR. It has a A2 stock on it now, and I would like to put my new Collapsible stock on it. I bought the stock removal tool (prolly not needed). I don't know how to do it though. Does anyone have a tutorial, one with pics prefered as I am a slow learner.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Give this a try... bottom of the page...

www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Give this a try... bottom of the page...

www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower

Thanks, but that dosn't help me take the old stock off :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Unscrew the screw at the top of the buttplate, that will let you take the stock off. That enough to get started?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
God, are you sure you want to work on that thing???

What if you can't get it back togeather or have parts left over?

Get a friend to help you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys so far. I got the old stock off. I put on the new one but it was real loose it seemed. I tried tighneing it down more and the buffer sprung out. Now it seems like the el 'cheapo aluminum threads on the stock are getting crushed. It shouldn't be loose right? real nice and tight eh?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks guys so far. I got the old stock off. I put on the new one but it was real loose it seemed. I tried tighneing it down more and the buffer sprung out. Now it seems like the el 'cheapo aluminum threads on the stock are getting crushed. It shouldn't be loose right? real nice and tight eh?

Thread the collapsible stock tube in until the lower lip Just covers and therefore retains the buffer retainer pin AND the stock is lined up straight. THEN: push the rear plate that holds the takedown pin detent spring  in, being careful not to bend the spring, and once flush, hold it there and screw the Castle nut down. Once you get it snug, tighten the castle nut with your Collapsible stock spanner wrench and 'voila. Should be nice and tight, and your buffer should stay put behind the retainer pin.

Piece of cake.

SG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Do i need that long tube thing that came out of the A2 stock?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hmmmm... sounds like maybe you sheered off the top of the buffer retainer.

You're supposed to screw the stock on until it covers the bottom part of the buffer retainer and is in its correct rotational orientation.  Then you tighten down the locking nut (I guess that's what it's called) on the stock with your special wrench, which holds the stock tight.

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Its not rocket surgery.

Sorry, this is too funny!
It has to be someones troll account.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It should be obvious that you don't.

I hope

SG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
well that fucking spring where the spring and buffer goes is lost. second time I lost it. What a PITA this shit is. I think I bought a bogus stock and thats why all the troubles. I don't know. I got the one from Sportsman Guide for 65$ anyone else installed this one? How much is it gonna cost me for that cock sucking spring?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I fucking found the spring. I think I am gonna calm down and get ass raped and pay the 25$ to get it installed. I'm starting to yell at the kid and the cats which is no good.

It's not a troll acount either, I'm banned another a diffrent name so I am using this. I missed you guys to much during my ban not to come back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#13]
[rain man]About a hundred dollars.[/rain man]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you can replace that spring with one from a ball point pen untill you get one ordered. There are some dealers who wont charge an arm and a leg to ship one spring, ask around.
Relax, slow down, and ask questions first and its a lot easier.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think you can replace that spring with one from a ball point pen untill you get one ordered. There are some dealers who wont charge an arm and a leg to ship one spring, ask around.
Relax, slow down, and ask questions first and its a lot easier.hr

Would have been nicer if they included an instruction manual for hot tempered assholes like me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Go here to see how it is done correctly

http://www.rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips_.htm
(you'll have to cut and paste)

go down about half way and you'll see it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the wrong but here is a step by step:

If you have the old stock off and the buffer tube removed its easy.
Make sure you have that spring and detent and make sure you have lost the rear takedown spring and detent. Thats the first spring that should have poked out after you removed the stock.
Get your new buffer tube and thread it into the lower, just a bit and slowly. Make sure the nut on it is all the way back.
Now, put the buffer detent in the whole with its spring. Slowly screw the buffer tube in untill it reaches the detent and then push the detent down and turn the tube in till it holds the detent. Now look at the tube, there's a slot in the threads that has to be on the bottom. Turn it in till that slot lines up. It will still be loose, thats ok.
Put the other spring and detent in and slide the lock plate and tighten the castle nut by hand being careful not to squish the spring.
Then, tighten the castle nut with the tool. Just a bit more.
Insert the spring in the tube, the the buffer while holding down the detent.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally got it installed. I had it right the first time and went through so much frustration cuz im a tard. Anyway here is a pic of it before I accidently dropped it down the big drink fishing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/metaphaze/DSCF0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/metaphaze/DSCF0003.jpg

I purposely made sure my fingernails wern't in these pictures. I don't want Tactical Jew having another heart attack!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Isnt it nice to have a stock the length you want and not the length someone said you have to have?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
lol it is nice. I don't like the stock that short though cuz its to hard to aim the weapon. But its nice having it knowing when a liberal sees those pics they will have a heart attack. Maybe my daughter can shoot the rifle now with the short stock though!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont know how big/tall you are but I like the stock one notch out from your pic. Thats perfect for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Thats some Bad-ass apple juice!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Thats some Bad-ass apple juice!!!

Ya like that Apple Juice? Its alright, I prefer Apple Cider. The Old Milwaukee is my kinda thing anyway. The Apple juice is for my daughter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top