Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 1:51:28 PM EDT
Several confirmed fatalities by tornadoes in Panama City and Panama City Beach area.  No power in alot of the town.  Will update as I can.  Signing off and hunkering down.  Please send prayers for victims and their families.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Duh.....................get out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Jackson, MS and the only worry I have is the rain and tornadoes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn that storm is still a long way out… good luck and god bless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful and keep your head down!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#6]
whoa, this is going to be as bad as my reliable sources told me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Hang in there!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you are W of where the eye comes ashore, the tornado risk goes down. Tornadoes with landfalling tropical systems tend to form in the right quadrant of the storm. But the people E of the eye need to be very cautious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell me you are posting from your armored basement!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I just laid out 100 feet of that rippled black drainage hose. This one gutter likes to drain into a dip in our yard, now it will flood into the street and go wee wee all the way home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't want to mess with tornadoes, at least with a Hurricane you have an idea when it is coming and what it will do...the tornadoes in Hurricane bands are very unpredictable and can come with zero warning (as opposed to the several minutes plus warning we can get from typical supercell tornadoes in the plains and Great Lakes area).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a cold front heading to intercept this hurricane. Where ever it connects there will be tornadoes. Most likley on the north west side.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is a cold front heading to intercept this hurricane. Where ever it connects there will be tornadoes. Most likley on the north west side.

NorthEAST side is the worst...right front quadrant...hunker down!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yea, great idea now.  If I had my way, I would have left days ago.  unfortunately, some of us have jobs to do during/after this thing .  BTW a bunch of people just died, try to show a little respect .
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Be carefull knucklehaid! Don't do any hero stuff.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Kiwi, God Bless and good luck. Keep your head down. You have a saferoom in the house, no?

echo6
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm gettin real worried for you folks down south...

The reports coming from the New Orleans area aren't purdy.   Surge in sea level could flood the whole damn place... news report said 50,000 body bags were ordered.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are W of where the eye comes ashore, the tornado risk goes down. Tornadoes with landfalling tropical systems tend to form in the right quadrant of the storm. But the people E of the eye need to be very cautious.

I am well west of the eye.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah... it's usually a great idea to get out and drive in a hurricane with random tornados spawning.Use your brain before you post...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NorthEAST side is the worst...right front quadrant...hunker down!!!

Tornadoes will form where the cold air meets the warm air. Doesnt matter where. Dont you remember El Nino?
Do your best to stay safe guys. It looks bad for some of y'all.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Well my move got delayed, we are staying here in Atlanta until I know we can make it the whole way. Kiwi any word on getting from Tallahasse to Panama City? Looks like 75 is clear going south just wondring if they closed 10 or if it is still one way out of PC only.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Supposedly, they have also closed 90 as well, so no easy way into PC now from 75 as far as I can tell. Many backroads have trees down across them and it is still raising Hell in Alabama and headed to Atlanta from there.

Kiwi...hope you got through the worst safely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Kiwi, you have my respects and my admirations....Stay safe.

Please.

Edited to add:  Prayers sent .

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

He meant well....He probably does not know what situation or what position Sgtkiwi is in, but...He meant well.

I hope.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#27]
MH, you should be good coming down from ATL... 85 to 185 to Columbus.  then 431 to 231 into PC.  I would wait a few days to let the evacuees get back first tho'...  

Damage assessment as I know it in the panhandle is that the I10 bridge over Escambia Bay (between P'Cola and Milton) is washed out .  HWY 90 bridge in same location is also.  Widespread power outages, structural damage etc.  We had several tornadoes through PC and several fatalities.  Curfew was just lifted 12:30 CST for Bay county.  Okaloosa Island (between Destin and Fort Walton) is now a sanbar (road submerged and washed out).  ALOT of the main roads are submerged or impassable.  It should be interesting seeing the influx of evacuees coming back in.

Kiwi Home faired well considering, minor roof and siding damage and a few trees down.

Affected Members Check in here
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#28]
It just hit ATL and is getting worse by the minute. Prayers out to everyone south of here who (already) caught the brunt of this bad boy. I have a brother and sister-n-law (with kids) who just moved down to PC a couple of months ago. They listened to the locals and decided to stay. Hope they are alright.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It just hit ATL and is getting worse by the minute. Prayers out to everyone south of here who (already) caught the brunt of this bad boy. I have a brother and sister-n-law (with kids) who just moved down to PC a couple of months ago. They listened to the locals and decided to stay. Hope they are alright.

IM me their info and I can check.  I am local LEO.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
just heard the pensacola bridge to santa rosa is gone!

Yup...I saw the video on Fox News...the I-10 bridge is completely smashed in two places...the Rt. 90 bridge is out, too...fuck...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Kiwi Home faired well considering, minor roof and siding damage and a few trees down.

Thank God and..God bless you.

Thank you and stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Got here yesterday Kiwi. I hope you have some time to unwind a little. Looks like Bay County was a tornado factory. Hope you and yours are ok. After everything settles dowm in your world give me a call and we can have a beer. IMing my cell number.

Hunter out....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top