Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 1:17:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
EXCELLENT!

I wore a red ArmaLite T-shirt last time I got called.  Didn't make it onto a panel unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully you will get some juicy case with a couple of hot co-jurors that you have to be sequestered with for a month.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish i liked it. It`s worse than dealing with those suspicious folks at the DMV lol. It has always been an ALL day game playing event full of BS for me. They could really unclog the system if they would let common sense lead and start  knocking these cases out quick. Oh, and looking around at my fellow jurors has givin me the creeps thinking that my fate could be in these ppl`s hands.
Hope it is a good experience for you though, it has sadly become one of my pet peeves. Not the idea, just the silly circus it has been.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish it was me.  I'd love the chance to participate in one of the processes that make this such a great country. I have never been called, dangit!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wish it was me.  I'd love the chance to participate in one of the processes that make this such a great country. I have never been called, dangit!

+1 I would love to do it
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, i wonder how they respond to political affiliaton...

I bet they prefer the "Uhh... I don't really watch the news... whats this I hear bout an election comin up?" type folks.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Be sure to look up the Fully Informed Jury Association at  FIJA.com. Trust me, they will help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If necessary remember

JURY NULLIFICATION
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But you won't.  You have common sense, and read and can form an opinion on your own that makes it almost impossible to serve.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
i had it this spring.  i wore my hooded sweatshirt with "9mm, one size fits all" all the back of it.  
they asked hobbies while they selected us (i said target shooting) but not political affiliation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish i liked it. It`s worse than dealing with those suspicious folks at the DMV lol. It has always been an ALL day game playing event full of BS for me. They could really unclog the system if they would let common sense lead and start  knocking these cases out quick. Oh, and looking around at my fellow jurors has givin me the creeps thinking that my fate could be in these ppl`s hands.
Hope it is a good experience for you though, it has sadly become one of my pet peeves. Not the idea, just the silly circus it has been.

my personal feeling is that there should be NO jury selection. random names drawn for cases. those 12 showup do the duty and on to the next case. Seems like they always weed out rational people.

mike

Yes, lawyers (on both sides)  have been known to SYSTEMATICALLY weed out the logical thinkers and the edumacated folks.  I mean, who's either to sway and blind with demagoguery?  A physicist or a welfare collector?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my personal feeling is that there should be NO jury selection. random names drawn for cases. those 12 showup do the duty and on to the next case. Seems like they always weed out rational people.

mike

I feel the same. They could get many of cases bagged in an hour. For me it has always taken all day just having the lawyers picking and choosing who they think will better benifit their side. The random idea would be great and then you could just get right to it. I wouldn`t mind it at all if everyone didn`t make it so much more difficult than it has to be. It would be great if they just got to the facts without the shakespearian drama you have to weed through ontop of trying to stay with the facts. Okay i`m turning the soap box over to someone else now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been excused from jury duty so many times, it's amazing.....

Each and every time I get excused.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

There is no excuse for this!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If necessary remember

JURY NULLIFICATION

IMHO, that’s what happened in the O.J. Simpson case.

We all know how well justice was served by that jury!!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I got picked the last time I had to go and ended up being the jury foreman.  We went into the court room and they picked the first 6 people they called out.  Ended up being a drug paraphernalia case.  The dude charged was defending himself and had already missed one court date.  He didn't have any pot in the truck but did have "residue" (ashes) in the ash try and that's what they popped him on.  It turned into a he said/he did/he said arguing match between him and the state trooper who busted him.

We found him guilty and fined him $100 bucks plus court cost.

I had second thoughts about it for a week afterward.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mike

Sometimes its hard to find 12 rational people in one place
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I sat on a 1st degree murder trial a month ago. I didn't try to get out of it. I seen it as part of my civic responsibility, just as I see voting is.

would have been funny to wear my KILL ALL LAWYERS t-shirt, though.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: it also came with a questionair that asked about hobbies and political affiliation

'None' and 'none' because it's none of their business!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

mike

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want to be on jury duty like I did. Just dress down and look bored/tired. PAs love to have morons on the jury. No independent thought!

I wore jeans, a flannel shirt and work boots. And I got picked to be jury foreman as well by the other jury members once they realised I was the only one of us taking notes on the case! They couldn't remember the peoples names let alone the "facts" of the case.

Needless to say we found the defendant not guilty of simple assault. ( 2 on 1 and he was the aggressor? )
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a summons for a trial today.

The trial was canceled.

After a 5 yr lapse I was kinda' looking forward to it.

Gawd you guys are killn' me! Never been called even!!

I get a summons about two - three times a year. I have no idea what makes me so spechul.

I went the past 5 yrs without a summons because I was finally picked and we found the guy guilty of theft.

But I'm back on the list. Two summons' in two months. Both trials were cancelled. And the second summons was received less than a week after the first trial was cancelled. Can't wait for next week to see if it's going to be 3 for 3.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is no excuse for this!

I have never asked to be excused.  I just always am.  Every time.  Five or six times now.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#25]
My last jury experience ended in a mistrial when 2/3'rds of the second group of jurors picked (my group) affirmed to the Commonwealth's attorney that they didn't feel that they could convict someone for marijuana possession and distribution because they didn't feel that it was wrong. The first group was excused because nearly 1/4 of the panel knew the defendant.
This was a rather varied group of people from about 25-60 years of age, and multiple races.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My last jury experience ended in a mistrial when 2/3'rds of the second group of jurors picked (my group) affirmed to the Commonwealth's attorney that they didn't feel that they could convict someone for marijuana possession and distribution because they didn't feel that it was wrong. The first group was excused because nearly 1/4 of the panel knew the defendant.
This was a rather varied group of people from about 25-60 years of age, and multiple races.

Sounds like he sold to everybody in town.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
By law, we as a society want an impartial jury.  Yet to hear some attorneys/mediafolk/CNN-talking-head, they appear to equate impartiality with ignorance of the issue.  Does a juror have to know nothing about a case to be impartial?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been called twice, both times didn't have to show up because I was 200+ miles away from 'home' going to school.

I was willing to blow off classes for a week, but they didn't like the idea of paying me mileage to drive back and forth every day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
just got a summons. I am thinking this would be a good time to wear my TEAM AR15.com shirt

it also came with a questionair that asked about hobbies and political affiliation

Hmmmmmm I think shooting assault weapons and Constitutional conservative might not go over very well.

mike

depends...
let us know if you get put on a civil or criminal jury

eta: I am not, of course, referring to the character of the jury but the nature of the case
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top