Posted: 9/15/2004 11:19:56 AM EDT
This makes me sad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully it wont last long
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, they still play hockey???

After the Rangers won the cup in '94 I lost interest...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#3]
damn shame. there's going to be a lot of suicides in canada this winter.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Although I hate to see it happen it might focus more attention on the AHL, maybe even some TV game exposure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Its going to suck because now all the European superstars are going to go back home and when the NHL gets back up they ain't going to be there.  Hockey is in a slump right now and it may be for awhile.

I'm just glad Lemieux won the World Cup.  

EDIT:  Forgot to add...

GO PENGUINS!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Although I hate to see it happen it might focus more attention on the AHL, maybe even some TV game exposure.

doubtful, but that would be cool. canada won't let this shit fly, there will be hockey this season.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Whoop-de-fucking-do.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This makes me sad.

Just drive down to check out the Toledo Storm...or go watch a U of M game...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#10]
This is likely to start an intercontinental league, with a European division and a North American division. Teams will play mostly in their division, with specific road (plane?) trips to the other division. It's the only way they'll get enough revenue generation to keep the players and owners happy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I actually watched last season playoffs when Tampabay won the Stanley cup, otherwise who cares. lol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This makes me sad.

Just drive down to check out the Toledo Storm...or go watch a U of M game...

Yeah, there's actually no shortage of great hockey to watch - Locally we have a new UHL team starting up very close to me (the Motor City Mechanics), the always entertaining Plymouth Whalers (I try to get to 4 or 5 games a season even though they're almost an hour from me)... and then there's always other teams, CCHA teams and OHL teams within an hour.

But there's no NHL games to be on in the background while I read or whatever. Saturday nights won't be the same without Grapes and Ron Maclean going at it on Coach's Corner...

Almost forgot. There's also supposed to be WHA hockey at the Pontiac Silverdome this year. We'll see about that! (doubtful)

The whole labor dispute makes me mad. I was squarely on the side of the players 10 years ago. Now it's all just greed. And the owners haven't done themselves any favors, either, they're the ones doling out the huge salaries as well. But I'm 51% on the owners' side, and 49% on the players. The whole thing makes me angry. They're getting their Nielsen-rating-butts handed to them by competitive darts for all I know (kidding, but the WNBA and Poker consistenly beat the NHL in their telecasts) and they need to fix that. Hockey's such a great sport, it deserves better than this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#14]
It will all be ok... It will be just like in 95 including the Devils winning the Stanley Cup!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I heard that last night during the last game of the World Cup. They're saying that maybe they'll have something worked out by Dec. and start the season in Jan. of next year, that really sucks.  Just when the Predators are starting to kick some butt they've got to pull this shit.  Guess I'll be seeing a lot of Knoxville Ice Bears and UT Ice Vols games until the NHL gets it's house in order.  And yes, this IS a big stinkin' deal to me and it looks like to a few others here on the board as well.

Go Predators!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#17]
GOOD!

Maybe now, instead of building yet more sports complexes for crybaby millionaire athletes and their slimebag owners, Governor Rendell will be able to put some of the gambling revenue into property tax reduction LIKE HE PROMISED. instead of pulling a bait & switch to get his pet legislation through for his questionable cronies.

I hope the lockout is permanent.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck 'em. I like college hockey more, anyway.

Go Gophers!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not expecting to see any NHL this year so has anyone heard about the WHL that Bobby Hall is President of?  Are they going to begin this fall?

GO PENGUINS!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm not expecting to see any NHL this year so has anyone heard about the WHL that Bobby Hall is President of?  Are they going to begin this fall?

GO PENGUINS!!!

WTF?  The Penguins are one of the greatest teams ever...one of the best teams of the 90's.

Someone in the league needs to fold or compromise and get the league back up.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Who is Bobby Hall?

And the Pens **were** the best team of the EARLY 90s. Starting in '94 my boys took over and haven't looked back  

However, until this little squabble is hashed out,

Let's golf Red Wings, let's golf!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry I mispelled Bobby "Hull"...please forgive me

I'm a Penguins fan but I striked that because it looks like I'll won't be going to any games this year
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Go Gophers!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The players are being greedy.

In any case, GO AVS!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Hockey went downhill years ago.

The only thing exciting about hockey was the fights, but they cut those down years ago.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer to watch my local minor team anyway.
Go Wilkes-Barre Penguins.
For some reason it's more fun than NHL.

And I hope Bobby Hull's idea gets off the ground. He seems like one of the few guys in modern hockey that really wants to make the game, well, cool again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Who is Bobby Hall?

Starting in '94 my boys took over and haven't looked back

Thats because everyone is in front of them
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Go Bulldogs!!!

fixed it for ya.

world cup was great.  too bad those rich asses can't figure out how lucky they are to play games for a living.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Now all we need to do is await the demise of the NFL with their version of "football" and the NBA with their version of "basketball".

An idiot a long time ago said "Religion is the opiate of the masses."  He was wrong then.

However, today, the statement "Professional sports is the opiate of the masses."  Bears a great deal of truth.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who is Bobby Hall?

Starting in '94 my boys took over and haven't looked back

Thats because everyone is in front of them Kinda like Tamp Bay

BWAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.    Three Cups in six seasons will make you do that from time to time.

Ahem. Mind you, I was rooting for your Bolts in the Finals because I have always been a fan of Dave Andreychuk, and a lot of the TB players are good guys who have toiled for a lot of years. I've also been rooting for Martin St. Louis because he's a little guy-- and as a bigger guy who has played hockey, I can tell you that the little guys can make you look silly sometimes with their low center of gravity. Hopefully he'll set a precedent in the NHL and the GMs won't pass up smaller guys with skill just because some teams only draft "Power forwards".
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#32]
DAMNIT!

Go Bluejackets.  Beat the Redwings!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry guys, the whole lock-out is my fault!

I finally sucked it up and bought season tickets to the Thrashers this year. It would take my lousy luck to buy them before a lockout.

We probably will not get to see an All-Star game in Atlanta this year.

GO THRASHERS!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]

I have no sympathy for the owners, and I doubt that most hockey fans will either.

Jay

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
The NHL needs to cut back on the number of teams. So does the NBA. MLB, for that matter, too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

GO PENGUINS!!!

Actually, yes,  One of my bosses is very good friends with Brett and Modano.

The new league will only allow 2 or 3 stars per team.  To keep the payroll low.  (which would be folks from the NHL)

Dallas will have a team.

I will chat with him (my boss) again to get some more info.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah this is bad news.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#38]
No  This year.  =  (
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GO PENGUINS!!!

Actually, yes,  One of my bosses is very good friends with Brett and Modano.

The new league will only allow 2 or 3 stars per team.  To keep the payroll low.  (which would be folks from the NHL)

Dallas will have a team.

I will chat with him (my boss) again to get some more info.

TXL

Good news!  Keep us posted.  I saw Mr. Hull doing an interview and he said that things were moving along but since then I haven't heard a peep.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Go GophersFighting Sioux!!!

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hockey went downhill years ago.

The only thing exciting about hockey was the fights, but they cut those down years ago.

Thats cause you don't understand the game....

Did you not see all the fights this year? Philly/sens? etc. et.c?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ahem. Mind you, I was rooting for your Bolts in the Finals because I have always been a fan of Dave Andreychuk, and a lot of the TB players are good guys who have toiled for a lot of years. I've also been rooting for Martin St. Louis because he's a little guy-- and as a bigger guy who has played hockey, I can tell you that the little guys can make you look silly sometimes with their low center of gravity. Hopefully he'll set a precedent in the NHL and the GMs won't pass up smaller guys with skill just because some teams only draft "Power forwards".

They are very squirmy too... You think you got the little dwarf lined up and all you do is eat the dashers.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

GO PENGUINS!

+1...HELL YEAH!

I bleed Penguin colors...and I am praying for at least one or two more seasons out of MARIO...Seasons where he can finally play HEALTHY, so some of the newbie hockey fans down here in Florida can see him in his glory.

I grew up mezmerized by Lemieux...and he is the #1 reason I started playing ice hockey, and his career makes a great story as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GO PENGUINS!

+1...HELL YEAH!

I bleed Penguin colors...and I am praying for at least one or two more seasons out of MARIO...Seasons where he can finally play HEALTHY, so some of the newbie hockey fans down here in Florida can see him in his glory.

I grew up mezmerized by Lemieux...and he is the #1 reason I started playing ice hockey, and his career makes a great story as well.

Two seasons from now...if they get Morozov back from Russia, Mario stays healthy, Recci stays, and they play like they did at the end of last season...they could do really well.  they still need a good strong goalie.

+1  I bleed their colors as well!  I started playing with intentions of being just like him, lol.  Some of his moves...dear god...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GO PENGUINS!

+1...HELL YEAH!

I bleed Penguin colors...

+1  I bleed their colors as well!

You guys should have that looked at... Last I checked, everyone bleeds Red Wing Red!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I found this on Yahoo:

Some players held informal workouts, while others were busy looking for work -- either overseas, or in the revived World Hockey Association that plans to open Oct. 29 or in a six-team circuit called the Original Stars Hockey League that will feature four-on-four play.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top