Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 9:02:20 AM EDT
I am about to buy a new laptop and wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best built brand.  I mean construction that is the best and strongest, not the fastest machine for the money.  

I am leaning strongly towards IBM but does everyone at least agree that they are one of the better makers along with maybe Sony or Apple?  I had a Compaq and it sucked and when I look at HP's and other brands they seem to be built pretty cheap.  I realized when most people go computer shopping they get the fast processor most memory blah blah blah I just want the one made with the best parts.

Thanks

Does this smell like a poll?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
HP, and yes do a poll
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
IBM has been consistantly reliable for me. I like a laptop that doesn't feel like a toy when you pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got a Toshiba Satellite A75 and I love it ,definitely a great desktop replacement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do dont get a DELL or that Avertec or whatever that other brand is
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an HP laptop. It was a POS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
IBM is a great machine, but overpriced IMO.

One option you might want to check is Sager www.sagernotebook.com/index.html.

Their laptops are very nice and they have the best customer service and best prices around.

Although, if it is physical reliability you are talking about I think IBM is tops in this category.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBM has been consistantly reliable for me. I like a laptop that doesn't feel like a toy when you pick it up.

Or look like a toy.  IBM looks really professional.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've owned many laptops. IBM, Toshiba, Winbook, Sony, NEC and now a HP 7000 ZD series with the 17" screen.

The HP 7000 ZD weighs a ton but is great for presentations and its wireless G is bulletproof. HP is okay, they all have their respective strenghts and weaknesses.

To me, a laptop/notebook is obsolete when I take it out of the box so I don't get too wound about speed, memory and such. I buy the fastest at the time only to have it dusted in less than a month with a new model. After 2.8 in processor speed, there's little, in my opinion worth shelling out for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I drop my HP last week and it landed right on the front right corner (Doh!!!)

After I snapped the case back together again I tentatively turned it on hoping for the best and...

It worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#10]
IBM, Toshiba and Dell are the top PC brands.

What ever you choose to buy (especially if it's not one of the above 3) get a full 3 year warranty that covers accidental damage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I use an older Sony GR series. Nice graphics, modest speed. It is not something you'd want to drop. Panasonic makes a Toughbook series that is built to take some rough handing but not necessarily harsh environments. Thery're also expensive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a Toshiba A75 as well and have been very happy with it, and more than happy with support.  Zero hold time and people that speak English.  Refreshing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top