Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 8:43:11 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure this is all Bush's fault somehow.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Jeanne Strengthens Into Hurricane

Email this Story

Sep 16, 10:45 AM (ET)

By PETER PRENGAMAN

(AP) Two men try to ride their bikes on a flooded street in the Catano municipality of San Juan, Puerto...
Full Image

Google sponsored links
Hurricane Jeanne Updates - Free Live Streaming Weather, Forecasts & More For Any US City.
www.WeatherBug.com

Emergency Preparedness - Be Prepared For Any Situation. Survival Gear & Safety Supplies
www.HomeLandProducts.com

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) - Jeanne strengthened from a tropical storm into the sixth hurricane of the season and struck the evacuated eastern tip of the Dominican Republic on Thursday, a day after lashing Puerto Rico with damaging winds and rain that knocked out power, flooded roads and killed two people.

A hurricane warning was posted for the eastern and northern coasts of the Dominican Republic, as forecasters told the storm-weary Caribbean to monitor the progress of Jeanne, which had 80 mph winds with higher gusts.

The storm could potentially reach Florida, Georgia and South Carolina by the beginning of next week, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

"It is over land as we speak ... right on Cabo Engano," said meteorologist Mike Tichacek of the hurricane center.

The small fishing and farming village was evacuated Wednesday by Dominican authorities who said hundreds of people fled homes on the north coast and outlying island of Saona.

At 8 a.m. EDT, Jeanne was hugging the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, moving west near 9 mph, with a gradual turn toward the west-northwest expected in the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm becomes a hurricane when its winds reach 74 mph.

But even as a tropical storm, Jeanne was powerful enough to cause havoc in Puerto Rico, buffeting the island of 4 million with wind gusts near 80 mph.

About 3,600 Puerto Ricans were evacuated to shelters, 38 roads were blocked, most residents were without electricity and some 600,000 were without running water, Gov. Sila Calderon said.

"A sudden storm hit us in an unexpected way and with a strength much greater than we had expected," she said at a news conference Thursday. "It left a wake of destruction that we now have to face."

Government offices would remain closed a second day, she said, urging people who did not need to go to work to stay home to aid clean-up efforts on debris-strewn roads.

Police rescued one couple from a car stuck in rising floodwaters on a main highway in north-coast Rio Grande before the vehicle was swept away, authorities said.

"They got out through the window," emergency official Hector Rosa said.

Others were not so fortunate.

Lashing winds tore the roof from Margarita Rivera's house, flung her from a hammock and smashed her into the wall of a neighbor's house, said Mayor Angel Garcia of Yabucoa, the southeastern town where the storm's eye hit land. Rivera, who died, was 49.

In north-coast Vega Baja, 78-year-old Arturo Roman Crespo died instantly after falling from a roof where he was putting up storm shutters, police said. They also reported a man injured in the central town of Lares when a downed tree hit his car.

Agriculture officials said plantain, banana and coffee crops probably sustained major damage.

The storm plowed northwest across the middle of the island and exited near Vega Baja, said meteorologist Scott Stripling of the U.S. National Weather Service.

Jeanne dumped up to 16 inches of rain on Puerto Rico that could continue through Friday because the storm's tail extended far past St. Croix, in the U.S. Virgin Islands, said Rafael Mojica, a hurricane center meteorologist.

About 50,000 people lost power in St. Croix, but half were back by evening, officials said. Airports in the U.S. Virgin Islands remained closed.

Jeanne was expected to skirt the northeast coast of the Hispaniola island, where floods in May killed more than 3,000 in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

Jeanne was then forecast to pass the 700-island Bahamas chain, recently battered by Hurricane Frances, the Hurricane Center said.

In Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, airports were closed and businesses shuttered. Wednesday night, people mobbed a Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor that was giving away ice cream that otherwise would spoil in the blacked-out Puerto Rican capital.

Jeanne became the 10th named storm of a busy Atlantic season Tuesday. Three major hurricanes have been through in two weeks - Charley, Frances and the deadliest of them all, Ivan, which killed 68 people in the Caribbean.

---

Associated Press reporters Frank Griffiths, Ian James, Paisley Dodds and Manuel Ernesto Rivera in Puerto Rico and Mat Probasco in the U.S. Virgin Islands contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Does board code work in thread titles?

Bold seems to work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#5]
IBJH
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Geez...again?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sure this is all Bush's fault somehow.

My wife's Aunt Winnie called on the phone the day before yesterday. I answered and began a brief conversation with her. She lives in PRK. Anyway she says that these storms are brought on by GWB being president. I told her "Nah! These storms are a warning not to elect Kerry!" There was stunned silence on the end of the line for about 15 seconds. Then she asked to speak with my wife.

How about a nice cup of STFU!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Jeanne, eh???  Bring it, bitch!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
kerry// George Bush is wrong, wrong on hurricanes, wrong on storm surge, wrong on tornados.  He should have seen this coming.  He should have prevented this.  I would not have let this happen.//kerry
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]
How is Jeanne named Jeanne when there is Javier threatening Arizona?

I thought it was only one letter per storm.

And what happened to G and H?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pacific hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There are separate names for Atlantic and Pacific storms.

Gaston hit the Carolinas and Hermine died in the No Atlantic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I think somebody has a grudge against Fla.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
For me, the bad part about this is that the remanants of Ivan and Jeanne could combine right over our heads, and dump some serious water on us...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I am back in the cone of death.  Fuck it.  I'm taking my plywood down this weekend and stocking up on beer.

Most Florida residents just have no more adrenaline to give towards stress over these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top