Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 7:54:34 AM EDT
What say you, oh brain of the hive?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Those who say get rid of it...did you know that with no worker's comp, injured employees would be able to sue the employer DIRECTLY forcing them to hire counsel, defend, etc.?  That's where we got WC in the first place - employers defending lawsuits was becoming counterproductive to commerce.  With workers' comp the way it is, employers have special WC insurance that provides for defense.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think any one will be getting rich off 60% of their original salary...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Bring out the gimp
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#4]
But...................there is wide spread  Wokers Comp abuse by those who don't want to work but still want to draw money, even if it's 60%.   Some even work "under the table" while drawing WC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Workers Comp is like welfare. Those who use the system properly need it, unfortunately theres some who abuse the system. Its like that anytime theres the opportunity to get ahead, you will have those who abuse the system.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But...................there is wide spread  Wokers Comp abuse by those who don't want to work but still want to draw money, even if it's 60%.   Some even work "under the table" while drawing WC.

That is an enforcement problem and has nothing to do with weather WC is needed or not.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is an enforcement problem and has nothing to do with weather WC is needed or not.

+1
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey when you get injured at work Its Nice to Have but Let Me Tell You They Really Jerk You around and send you to crappie doctors and try to screw you out of money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well in April of this year I became alot more educated in Ky WC law. Basicly if you make around 24-25K per year you will come out pretty good, no taxes ect..  But.....  If you make anywhere from what I make to infinity you get the same as the guy makeing 25k.  In Ky. even if you get a lawyer he can only get a maximum of 12,000.00 if he gets you 40,000.00.  How hard do you think he's gona work to get you one cent more?  You got that right.  If you think 40,000.00 is rich then one can guess your party affiliation.

Before anyone can make a judgment they need to look at my kids,wife ,dog, mother, mortage, and walk a mile in my Rocky boots because I sure as hell cant anymore.

You wont get rich, you will get it in the butt from your company, your governer and  lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well in April of this year I became alot more educated in Ky WC law. Basicly if you make around 24-25K per year you will come out pretty good, no taxes ect..  But.....  If you make anywhere from what I make to infinity you get the same as the guy makeing 25k.  In Ky. even if you get a lawyer he can only get a maximum of 12,000.00 if he gets you 40,000.00.  How hard do you think he's gona work to get you one cent more?  You got that right.  If you think 40,000.00 is rich then one can guess your party affiliation.

Before anyone can make a judgment they need to look at my kids,wife ,dog, mother, mortage, and walk a mile in my Rocky boots because I sure as hell cant anymore.

You wont get rich, you will get it in the butt from your company, your governer and  lawyer.

Yep - THANK YOU GOV. PAUL PATTON!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Worker's Comp is another insurance company moneymaker.  Thje ins carrier does not care if the claim is legit or  not, they only care about getting out of their contractual obligations.  I am still battling with the WC carrier and their lying quack doctors.  Its been 6 years of hell, we darn near lost our house, still have five figures of med bills the W/C carrier refuses to pay, etc.   Ops
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep - THANK YOU GOV. PAUL PATTON!!!!

Yep, that what I hear.  The only one in Ky. that got the lube was the old gal polishing his wrinkled ole apple in the nursing home scandal.

In the end he got what he deserved, but the damage to us is done.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Its basicly like this in the commonwealth of Ky.  The people who eaned the least, in the so called poverty level can make more because its 2/3rds of their pay rate without taxes.  People that earn the most and pay the most in taxes and support those in the so called poverty level with welfare, get less.  The people who make the most run into a cap that is 2/3 of the states average wage.  I guess in Kys standards they would say I was rollin in the dough.   Even those in the lower bracket get it in the rear from the insurance company sooner or later.  Oh and by the way, its not like gettin hit from behind in an automobile, no pain and suffering, they dont care if your scars for life, in a wheelchair, or if your manhood falls off.  If Im lucky,very lucky I may not have to give up my familiy's home.  But I looks like if The Lord dosnt intervien, we will.  But I have faith and am tough as hell(not as tough as I thought I was).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I chose the 1st answer
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I don't know why nobody likes you, Pangea, I find myself agreeing with you often.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those who say get rid of it...did you know that with no worker's comp, injured employees would be able to sue the employer DIRECTLY forcing them to hire counsel, defend, etc.?  That's where we got WC in the first place - employers defending lawsuits was becoming counterproductive to commerce.  With workers' comp the way it is, employers have special WC insurance that provides for defense.

Don't forget that the employer can't the the "usual" defenses including assumption of the risk, negligence and the like against a W/C claimant, at least in the states I work in.  There are always bad cases, like some  above, but in my states the court makes us pay out on LOTS of dubious claims.

The system is FINE.  If we screw with it the result can only be worse for the whole.  SOme will get really rich at the expense of others who get screwed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#17]
In my experience, the number of fraudulent or exagerated claims is double the number of legitimate claims.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
huh huh huh workers' constipation huh huh huh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top