Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 7:50:42 AM EDT
Even in my local rag, the prices have dropped, when they were once wanting over 1500 now are asking 900. Funny thing is that people are still trying to sell the klinton rifles for close to the same price.

What do you guys think a klinton era rifle is worth now, given that you can get a brand new with all the evil features, and why would someone want to buy one unless they came across a really good deal on it? I would think it would be pretty hard to sell a klinton era AR15 right now unless you gave it away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking more like 1/3.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say the neutered rifles are worth whatever a used rifle is worth minus the cost to "de-neuter" it, which would be threading the barrel and adding a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd say the neutered rifles are worth whatever a used rifle is worth minus the cost to "de-neuter" it, which would be threading the barrel and adding a flash hider.

So about $100-150 less depending on where you get it done.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As much as any used AR.

That's the way I see it.  It's just ANOTHER USED RIFLE.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Just a while before the 94 ban I was having a hard time getting $695. for a dpms AR.  Most people who looked at them for that price were sure the ban wouldn't pass. Some even sneered at that price saying they would come down after the ban failed.

That price was fifty dollars over what I was paying. I was only carrying them to get more rifles out in public hands.  And as a courtesy to my regular customers.  And also cause I love black rifles.  (they smell like freedom)  

I think at present time anything over eight hundred is a bit much for a good AR.  

Prices will lower over time due to competition.  

The same will happen with mags. Someone will always be willing to sell more items for less money. Thank Odin for free enterprize.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Believe it or not, there are some people who really don't care about flash hiders and bayonet lugs.   Meaning, the market for "neutered" uppers will still exist.  However, that being said, the prices on these uppers will still go down, but not by a lot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a note, prices in general have gone up since '94... Cost of living and all that.

Frankly I think you could expect a new rifle with the so-called "Preban" features to cost the SAME as what the "Postban" rifles were going for last week.

Standard-capacity mag prices should (hopefully) drop though. I needs me some Para and Sig mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
One has to ask, "How much is a pre-ban worth to a person in a state that still has an AWB?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Believe it or not, there are some people who really don't care about flash hiders and bayonet lugs.   Meaning, the market for "neutered" uppers will still exist.  However, that being said, the prices on these uppers will still go down, but not by a lot.

I have never seen an AR with flash hider, but I have seen plenty with flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Zen

are you a dealer located in the SE part of Mich?   I am outside of Flint
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Zen

are you a dealer located in the SE part of Mich?   I am outside of Flint

Nope.  

I am no longer a dealer of any kind. When the govt decieded to fold spindle and mutalate my right to privacy I threw in the towel.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Frankly I think you could expect a new rifle with the so-called "Preban" features to cost the SAME as what the "Postban" rifles were going for last week.

Who was selling full -featured Bushmaster M4 carbines for $760 last week?

AIM Surplus has them for that price today

aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I went by my local haunt today and noticed that they only have one Colt preban on consighnment for $1450 !!!!!!!!!

I then went to another fine establishment and purchased a C3 surefire centurion.

Its very bright.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One has to ask, "How much is a pre-ban worth to a person in a state that still has an AWB?"

Whatever the market will bear. The prices in these states will probably not change at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As much as any used AR.

After the added cost of the evil features.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever the market will bear. The prices in these states will probably not change at all.

This is true as the people in the 8 or so states will not be able to go down and buy a new one.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who was selling full -featured Bushmaster M4 carbines for $760 last week?

AIM Surplus has them for that price today

aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Bushmaster_Sunset_Rifles___Preban_features_.html

Semi-Auto 5.56mm-.223 Rem. Caliber. 30rd Magazine, "16 Chrome Lined M4 Profile Bbl. Includes A3 Carry Handle (on A3 Models), Bayonet Lug, Birdcage Flash Suppressor, and Telestock.
32.5" Length (Retracted stock), Weight w/o magazine- 6.7lbs.

Item#Bush-BCWA2F16M4  A2 Type: $759.95ea
Item#Bush-BCWA3F16M4  A3 Type: $809.95ea

Of course all these prices are dealer prices and after you add mark-up, transfer fees and tax it will be higher.

Then add the $50.00 for M4 double heat shield handguards.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
In some cases the prices have seemed to go up and the demand increases!

Colt LE6920's were $889.95 a week ago and now they are $1250.00. An increase of 28% but you would have to subtract the FET which isn't added in to the $889.95 price.

I don't beleive it is $350.00 FET though!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Not to argue, but why do we really want a bayonet lug. I think mainly it's because we were told we couldn't have them.
I have never carried my AR or shot it in competition with a bayonet affixed.
Also, the flashhiders don't improve accuracy, and the competition shooters I know will still keep building slick barreled guns to compete with.

I didn't like the ban, and am glad it's gone. But the pre and post ban configurations will still shoot well with or without lugs and flash suppressors, and will still have good intrinsic values.

It's just the artificially inflated values on the pre ban guns and magazines that are gone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
They all still go boom, a bullet comes out and then it hits stuff.  Brake or no brake, collapsible stock or not.  Don't get wrapped around the axle on this, the lack of an AWB just simplifies things for business.  I don't expect the prices to be drastically different, as the majority of the parts have the same manufacturing costs.  We'll see what the market will bear, but you won't get a rifle for $200 just because it doesn't have a flash supressor.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1

I think that the main selling point of a flash hider is cool factor.  I have 3 FH on 5 rifles, and I have no plans to put flash hiders on the other two.  Plain-end barrels have their place and look fine to a lot of people.

One thing you've missed is that non-threaded barrels cost less to fabricate than a threaded barrel.  I don't know if it's much, but that may make them a few bucks less in price.

By the way, can we use the terms threaded and non-threaded, please?  Why keep talking about a ban that doesn't exist?

C_M
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, hopefully the states that still have a ban won't eventually. The DC protection act is going to happen in the congress soon. So hopefully they will find it unconstitutional and restore the rights to bear arms in that district. This could pave the way for finding gun restrictions unconstitutional in those other states.

Thanks for all the replys by the way, I should have said dropped by 1/3 instead of 1/2. I suck at math.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I could care less about a bayo lug..... Its the CHOICE i care about.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I think that the main selling point of a flash hider is cool factor.  I have 3 FH on 5 rifles, and I have no plans to put flash hiders on the other two.  Plain-end barrels have their place and look fine to a lot of people.

One thing you've missed is that non-threaded barrels cost less to fabricate than a threaded barrel.  I don't know if it's much, but that may make them a few bucks less in price.

By the way, can we use the terms threaded and non-threaded, please?  Why keep talking about a ban that doesn't exist?

C_M

You have made several good points but there is still a ban in several states.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to argue, but why do we really want a bayonet lug. I think mainly it's because we were told we couldn't have them.
Also, the flashhiders don't improve accuracy, and the competition shooters I know will still keep building slick barreled guns to compete with.

I didn't like the ban, and am glad it's gone. But the pre and post ban configurations will still shoot well with or without lugs and flash suppressors, and will still have good intrinsic values.

It's just the artificially inflated values on the pre ban guns and magazines that are gone.

Well, ... I care a whole hell of a lot if I can have a flash hider on my rifle. Because I don't own these weapons for hunting or competition.  I own them to defend myself from criminals in my own government. That is what the second amendment is about, not HUNTING or SHOOTING SPORTS.

I sure as hell don't want to have to use my weapon in anger and have my flash reporting my position to an enemy.  

It MATTERS.

Zen

"this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#27]
The value of "post ban" lowers should not decrease since they are all "pre ban" now.  The bolt, bolt carrier and upper receiver are still worth the same.  The only thing that really changes is the cost of a barrel.  Some people actually like a muzzel brake instead of a flash hider.  The lug is functionaly worthless except for the coolness factor.  I guess it really boils down to how much you want the flash hider and lug. I personally would not pay more than a few dollars to have it on an otherwise functional weapon.  I would not sell a perfectly good shooting post ban AR for much less than about $50 less than what a pre ban would cost.  I would change out a barrel before I took a bit hit on a loss.

Of course I don't have to worry because I never really adhered to the ban anyhow.  All of my uppers were pre ban.  The only post ban upper I have is a cool looking Busy Dissapator with an AK Brake.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Of course I don't have to worry because I never really adhered to the ban anyhow.  All of my uppers were pre ban.  The only post ban upper I have is a cool looking Busy Dissapator with an AK Brake.

Don't ask, don't post!

{By the way... me too!}
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, ... I care a whole hell of a lot if I can have a flash hider on my rifle. Because I don't own these weapons for hunting or competition.  I own them to defend myself from criminals in my own government. That is what the second amendment is about, not HUNTING or SHOOTING SPORTS.

I sure as hell don't want to have to use my weapon in anger and have my flash reporting my position to an enemy.

It MATTERS.

Zen

"this is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

So these 'flash suppressors' really suppress your flash enough that the enemy can not see it/you?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Since all you are talking about changing in most cases is the barrel, I would say maybe $100 less. Fixed stock isn't enough to make the value drop significantly; there were/are people who prefer fixed stock weapons, just as there are folks who like the collapsible stock. Not to mention that there are still states that limit the sale of post ban weapons, so there will always be a market for those weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top