Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2004 6:54:09 AM EDT
Love him or hate him is not the point....

Imagine how many homeruns he had if he did not draw so many Intentional Walks...imagine if he just had is free passes cut in half --- while I am not saying he'd hit a dinger evertime...but he'd connect on many.

I think he'd surpass Babe and Hank easily. I think MLB is losing out on an oppty to build a bigger fan base because of cowardly(smart) managers

Me thinks Haliburton is behind this.

Didn't mean to distract from the building of evil assault weapons.....Carry on
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hate him.  Almost as much as Keyshawn Johnson.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
not the point you chowder head....do you think he'd have broken those records by now?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
D'oh....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
He is a chemical created freak, he is basically an asshole, he does nothing for fans or the public in general.  He lives in an age of "juiced" ball, corked bats and soft pitching.  

Babe Ruth did what he did, drunk, overweight and tired from fucking hoochies.  Babe Ruth was a better player and a great pitcher as well.

Hank Aaron started in the negro leagues, played for years and was a nice guy and still is to this day.  He overcame a lot to do what he did and he did it well.

Breaking a record with the help of a quart of steriods, 15 doctors and trainers and in a league that bases its hitting and pitching on "popular demand" is nothing to be proud of in my mind.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
He probably is hung like a gerbil now.  (not that I'd want to find out  hock.gif)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
more importantly, how many would he hit if he wasn't roided up?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Usually, unless there's a FIB* team playing, Miller Park is a ghost town.  

Tonight, everybody and their sister is lining up to watch him.  Good for the Brewers either way.
*Fucking Illinois Bastard
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Or he would strike out a lot more!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree 100% with lonegunman.

I couldn't think of a WORSE person than jackass Bonds to hold the homerun record. The thing is, he's been that way all his life. I worked with a guy that went to Sierra High School with Bonds and he said Bonds was a fucking jerk then, and FWIU when he played for ASU the coach had to talk MOST OF THE TEAM out of quitting because of Bonds.

I lived in the bay area for a while and got to "experience" Bonds.

If/when he breaks Aarons home run record he'll get about as much respect from me as if Skerry (God frobid) gets elected.

Yeah, the guy has tons of talent. Too bad he has ZERO personality.

When I was young and playing baseball my friends and I would frequently sit and talk about who we'd have on a team if we could pick from anyone. I'm from St. Louis and I really didn't care for Pete Rose-who was in his prime at that time and playing for the Reds.
BUT......because of the way he played and because of his personality & team ethic he would have been the first player I picked.

If I had to make that type of decision now I wouldn't pick Bonds to be Senior Latrine Orderly.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
He wouldn't have 699 right now if it wasn't for the sauce.

Hank will always be the home run king, regardless of where Barry ends up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Imagine how many homeruns he had if he did not draw so many Intentional Walks...imagine if he just had is free passes cut in half --- while I am not saying he'd hit a dinger evertime...but he'd connect on many.

I think he'd surpass Babe and Hank easily.

Ruth had over 2000 career walks himself.  I personally, will always consider any records by Bonds tarnished because of his steroid use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He is a chemical created freak, he is basically an asshole, he does nothing for fans or the public in general.  He lives in an age of "juiced" ball, corked bats and soft pitching.  

Babe Ruth did what he did, drunk, overweight and tired from fucking hoochies.  Babe Ruth was a better player and a great pitcher as well.

Hank Aaron started in the negro leagues, played for years and was a nice guy and still is to this day.  He overcame a lot to do what he did and he did it well.

Breaking a record with the help of a quart of steriods, 15 doctors and trainers and in a league that bases its hitting and pitching on "popular demand" is nothing to be proud of in my mind.

+1 Bonds is juiced up trash
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Notice that since the Balco thing has come to the forefront that Bonds isn't hitting as many home runs?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I'm the only one who likes Barry Bonds here
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think you're the only one who likes him ANYWHERE!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Notice that since the Balco thing has come to the forefront that Bonds isn't hitting as many home runs?

wrong. he's being walked more. notice since the balco thing bb is the only player still putting up the numbers he did before. over 200 walks this year but still manages to hit over 40 homeruns?  bonds, at this point, is the most dangerous hitter the game has ever seen. and he's 40.

eta: i like barry bonds, he's my favorite player.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

Has Barry Bonds been CONVICTED of using steroids???  NOPE!!!

I guess it's guilty until proven innocent, huh???  Hell, Ruth was a sodden old fuck who supposedly once killed someone...he was a right bastard...but he could hit that fucking ball deep...just like Bonds...haters can step off...I hope Bonds smashes Aaron's record...no fucking asterisks, either!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
ALLEGED steriod use.

You are all haters....and be advised I am no BB fan

Do you agree that Baseball needs a boost (albeit a steriod induced one?)

Where were you on Mark Mac?  White men don't get that huge w/o juice
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Exactly.  When a ball player can break Ruth's record without steroids and while smoking cigars, chasing women and swilling whiskey, then he will have done something.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know him, I don't hate him and I don't loath him.  His records are tainted for all time though.  Dope use makes all of his homers during his period of use suspect.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Remember folks...steroids can make you big, but they don't improve your swing mechanics and your ability to see the pitch...that comes from natural ability and practice, practice, practice...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#26]
All the steroids in the world can't help Bonds HIT the ball, OR catch it...he's got 5 Gold Gloves, 6 League MVP awards.  Look at his stats for OBP, Slugging Percentage, and every other measure of a hitter's value.  Bonds is up there with the best of them in every category, and look at the guys who bat before and after him in the lineup over the last few years....not exactly household names.  Bonds would have 800 taters by now if they'd actually pitch to him... with over 500 WALKS in the last 3 seasons, he's lost a few for sure.  

I've been a Giants fan for over 30 years.  If WILLIE MAYS like Barry, that's good enough for me lol.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I watched him dodge a Duracell hucked from the field seats at Pacbell Park.  He's pretty quick for a biggol' f@kker.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
All the steroids in the world can't help Bonds HIT the ball, OR catch it...he's got 5 Gold Gloves, 6 League MVP awards.  Look at his stats for OBP, Slugging Percentage, and every other measure of a hitter's value.  Bonds is up there with the best of them in every category, and look at the guys who bat before and after him in the lineup over the last few years....not exactly household names.  Bonds would have 800 taters by now if they'd actually pitch to him... with over 500 WALKS in the last 3 seasons, he's lost a few for sure.  

I've been a Giants fan for over 30 years.  If WILLIE MAYS like Barry, that's good enough for me lol.    

Roger that
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#30]
He was always a excellent hitter, roids = faster bat speed which equals farther distance the ball travels.

The year he "broke" the homerun record, his farking head grew  TWO farking hat sizes.   He was also 40 lbs heavier than he was as rookie.

ETA: Also since Balco has came out Bonds, Giambi, and Sheffield have noticably shrunk in size, I wonder why?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]
quote]
Here you go, Mike!  Have you hailed your "Skins today?  
Criminal Element of the Cowboys...

ETA: Rafael Septien takes the cake.

Holy Lock em Up Batman! Is there nothing you can't find on the net?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#32]
As long as we are talking Mays, don't forget playing in Candlestick for 10+ seasons cost him at least
100 HR's. Ditto that for McCovey too. Mays would had 750+ without roids and against WAY better pitching with bigger strike zones. Barry's good but short porch parks, lame pitching and roids.
Piss on em'.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#33]
He won't travel with the team, let's the coach know when he will play/not play, is universally disliked in his own industry (except memorabillia hounds), and is a juiced freak.

I frankly don't give a shit if he hits a thousand homers - He is a total asshole.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#34]
You think the pitchers of old were more talented than today's crop?

I don't think Sandy K threw +100mph...or had a 95mph cutter.

Hell they called the SplitFinger a forkball

Then again, they didn't have speed guns
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
He won't travel with the team, let's the coach know when he will play/not play, is universally disliked in his own industry (except memorabillia hounds), and is a juiced freak.

I frankly don't give a shit if he hits a thousand homers - He is a total asshole.

true dat'!    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#37]
As far as all his walks go.
I have seen alot of pitches that would have been called strikes against
other batters...but...If Barry doesn't swing, it's a ball.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Uh huh...and you had a better vantage point than the umpires...I see...whatever...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Who's the asshole who broke a woman's nose the other night throwing two CHAIRS into the stands??  He should be banned for life, arrested (as he has been), and probably jailed.  For sure, he should be DONE with baseball.  I don't follow sports of any kind, but I recall the guy a few years ago who spit in an umpire's face.  He was a big-timer--read people pay to come watch *him* play--and it was the play-offs, so he got a game or three suspension--but served it AFTER the play-offs.  What a crock.  It's their bullshit little game, but allowing such unsportsmanlike behavior harms society at large, IMO, by teaching kids it's "no big deal" to conduct oneself in that manner.  As an old fart, I remember clearly the days when sports heroes were AUTOMATICALLY assumed to be the very best of upstanding citizens and Americans.  It's sad the hoodlums and thugs are allowed to operate in professional sports these days.  Do the Dallas Cowboys have any star players without a criminal record?  

Roberto Alomar. Can't stand him to this day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Mark McGwire was a .27x career hitter.....he hit "pop-ups" out of the parks....that's the juice{though I don't believe it was anabolic steriods, it was an enhancer and LEGAL in every sport except the Olympics -- it's now illegal}.

Big Mac also hit 49 home runs his rookie year. That was the year before Cecil Fielder broke a long 50 home run drought. He took several games off at the end of the year to await the birth of his son. Big Mac was fully capable of going yard long before he started andro. In fact, he took andro to strengthen his back.

Big Mac and others are helped by expansion baseball and smaller ball parks a helluva lot more than they are by the juice. Hell if the juice was the key then Ozzie Canseco would be a household name.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Rookie year:  

guys bulk up like that in their 30's just by exercise & a good diet... riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

One of the myriad reasons to BOYCOTT MLB

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Mac is 6'6" and quite a big guy even before andro and creatine.  He was swinging so hard and fast that his "pop-ups" went out......that was the help of the juice.  I don't see many parks that would hold the lasers that Bonds hits.  They usually aren't cheap and they come more from a good swing and good eye than any amount of 'roids.

You may have seen him at USC, but I saw him in STL the year he hit 70. You know the time in question. Busch Stadium has never been known as a hitter's ballpark; although, bringing in the fences 10ft helped. However, it is still bigger than most AL parks. Big Mac didn't hit too many cheap homers. Seems like anytime they got out the tape it was a measurement over 350ft with the exception of #62.

BB is hitting in a field where if he doesn't pull the ball it should die in the outfield. I say should because he is strong enough where I don't think that matters.

Again weak pitching and closer fences mean more homeruns than any supplement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Hank Aaron has already stated that he would not attend any ceremony naming Bonds the all-time home run leader.  He's not interested he says.  

WOW!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

And I agree there too.  

Raw strength doesn't get it all done.  

Bonds is one of the all-time greats.  

He's ruined it by beine an asshole who is likely on the juice.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
 If WILLIE MAYS like Barry, that's good enough for me lol.    

lol, I would hope Willie likes him seeing as he is Barry's Godfather
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Barry Bonds is...  a jerk?

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=111188

-snip-
A Giant in the Community:
In association with The United Way of the Bay Area, has formed Bonds Family Foundation with the goal to encourage, promote and fund programs designed to improve educational achievements, standard of living and quality of life conditions for African-American youth within Bay Area community, with an emphasis on programs that use interactive technology-based solutions...continued his quest to help children as Family Foundation began "Link 'n Learn" program to connect parents, children, schools and neighborhoods with tutoring services and interactive educational technology...Link 'n Learn program benefits over 1,500 children from grades 1-4 in selected low-income communities in San Francisco Bay Area by using interactive educational technology and high quality tutoring programs to enhance school-parent involvement and increase the learning experience of an at-risk child...in conjunction with the Junior Giants program, helped build "Barry Bonds Junior Giants Field" located across McCovey Cove from SBC Park...was honored by Cedars-Sinai Hospital Sports Spectacular and helped raise money for Medical Genetics Birth-Defects Center at hospital...taped public service announcement for RADD (Recording Artists, Actors and Athletes Against Drunk Driving) for their 2002 campaign...participated in Kyle Petty Charity Ride, which raises money for outdoor camps for children with life-threatening or chronic illnesses...donated $100,000 to United Way for families of victims from Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, giving $10,000 per HR following tragedy...along with Cal Ripken, Jr. and Alex Rodriguez, is national spokesperson for Baseball Tomorrow Fund...appeared in public service announcements designed to promote and enhance growth of youth baseball...under auspices of Bonds Family Foundation, he spearheaded bone marrow campaign, 6-year drive to register African Americans and raise funds for families whose loved ones have leukemia or related blood disorders...as board member of San Francisco United Way, has done public service announcement about campaign, featuring his special teenage friend, Anthony "Lee" Franklin, a near straight-A student and star shortstop/pitcher on Oakland's 1996 Babe Ruth League national championship team, who was diagnosed with leukemia...in 1999 established scholarship fund at alma mater Serra (San Mateo, CA) High School for an African American student based on academic and athletic achievement as well as community service...participated in 1998 Christmas in April which renovated home for autistic children, providing security system and digitial satellite system...beginning in 1997, Family Foundation started "Bridge to the Future" campaign which equipped 350 after-school centers and 7,000 family homes with Sony CD ROM Play Stations featuring Lightspan Learning Software...has appeared on billboard for California Police Activities League's "Stop Youth Violence" campaign...was honored at special tribute dinner in November 1996 by the Adopt-A-Special Kid organization after having donated $100,000 to AASK since 1993...San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown also proclaimed that day as "Barry Bonds Day" in San Francisco...during seasons at Candlestick, purchased 50 bleacher seats per game for 42 dates during summer vacation months of June, July and August establishing "The Bonds Squad," section for "Make-a-Family" program...in addition, has pledged $10,000 each year to AASK and $100 for each home run, stolen base and RBI each season...was honored in 1995 by Cardiac Arrhythmias Research and Education Foundation for his work with young athletes and his interest in combating sudden cardiac deaths...also in 1994, helped raise another $12,500 for AASK by co-hosting celebrity baseball game ("Field of Dreams") with singer Michael Bolton...in 1993, also co-hosted Thanksgiving special on Prime Network to help raise funds for fire victims of Southern California...autographed baseballs and bats which were donated to United Way to further help fire victims.
-snip-

Yes, it's my second post.  h.gif

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

so was ty cobb, roger hornsby, ted williams...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You think the pitchers of old were more talented than today's crop?

I don't think Sandy K threw +100mph...or had a 95mph cutter.

no, but he had one of the most devastating curveballs of all time, not to mention he had the control of maddux in his prime.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh huh...and you had a better vantage point than the umpires...I see...whatever...

You do on TV.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top