Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 5:24:09 AM EDT
I know the speed limit on these roads are 55 MPH. I can't even imagine what the speed differential would have to be for this to happen. Very sad for the motorcycle rider.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5998464/

Two killed in late night crash
By Chanda Brown
KSNW-TV

WICHITAKansasUSA - Two people are dead and one is in critical condition after a motorcycle was struck by a car Monday night. The wreck happened around 10:00 p.m. near 63rd Street South and Greenwich Road.

On Tuesday morning, Gerald Parker's son Steven, hammered a cross into the ground near where his father died.

Parker, 53, of Rose Hill was riding his motorcycle home from his girlfriend's house when a car driven by 27-year-old Larry Maxton of Wichita hit him from behind.

"The impact was so great it caused the rider of the motorcycle to come backwards through the windshield of the car. The rider of the motorcycle hits the driver of the car which causes both of them to exit through the back glass," said Lt. Tommie Cribbs, Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department.

"The crash site was two houses beyond that and this is where the car ended up, so you tell me something about speed," said Frosty Sheridan, an area resident.

"We believe the car was driving at an excess rate of speed and never saw the motorcycle because there's no skid marks," said Cribbs.

After the driver of the motorcycle and car were thrown out, a passenger still inside the car, sped nearly 800 yards down the road with no one driving.

Now two families are left mourning and nearby residents are pleading with drivers to slow down.

"This is the 'Greenwhich speedway,'" commented Sheridan.

The passenger of the car, 36-year-old John Phillips is in serious condition.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll buff right out!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
How fast would a car need to be going for someone standing still suspended above the ground to go through BOTH windsheilds?  I'd say probably 40-50mph.... so the car must have been going at least that much faster than the motorcycle...  

That's just my SWAG....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How fast would a car need to be going for someone standing still suspended above the ground to go through BOTH windsheilds?  I'd say probably 40-50mph.... so the car must have been going at least that much faster than the motorcycle...  

That's just my SWAG....

Not just going through both windshields, but also ripping another person from the cars driver seat and taking them as well. If the motorcycle was going 55, I'm thinking the car was going at least  130 MPH.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Mach 4.....

That is a SERIOUSLY nasty crash. Never heard of anything like it....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Too damn fast I'll tell you that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top