Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 8:18:38 PM EDT
I've always wanted one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the barbed wire cutter on the tripod.  Cool feature.  They would try to ban it here.  you know to protect the cattle...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Make mine a Micro.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
No. They're banned under '89...

IMI might end up setting up US production, as Barrett won't be making the Tavor and they may be required to produce it here themselves under the terms of foriegn aid agreements...

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMI might end up setting up US production, as Barrett won't be making the Tavor and they may be required to produce it here themselves under the terms of foriegn aid agreements...

Its very unlikely IMI would go through the expense of setting up production in the US.

Is your Galil a pre '89 IMI?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Does a Galil have a 'sporting' purpose?  I believe that is the requirement these days.

'Sporting' being defined by those who have no idea what a sport is, and who simultaneously fear any firearm that looks 'naughty'.   Just to be clear... if a firearm holds anything except 1 deer or pheasant seeking bullet, it's not for sport.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its very unlikely IMI would go through the expense of setting up production in the US.

Lumpy: The only reason they would is if their aid agreement requires it...

IIRC, they have to spend a certain percentage of US foreign aid on US-made products...

So if they want to pay for Tavors with US aid money, they may have to build them here...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont some Isreali products qualify as "made in the USA" status ? I know Tadiran had made in the USA stickers on thier produts a few years ago, I asked a Tadiran corporate rep about it at a conference and He told me that products made in Isreal came under a trade agreement that allowed them to be considered US made goods as part of our financial aid to Isreal. Be great if it was still in effect !!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]
What happened to them manufacturing it up to a certain point then some enterprisng entity here in the U.S. manufacture the remaining parts to meet the 'made in U.S.' requirement after importing the not quite complete rifles? There's got to be enough money in it for someone to see an opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Aw crap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What happened to them manufacturing it up to a certain point then some enterprisng entity here in the U.S. manufacture the remaining parts to meet the 'made in U.S.' requirement after importing the not quite complete rifles? There's got to be enough money in it for someone to see an opportunity.

yeah like on the romanian AK's
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah like on the romanian AK's

The problem is the Galil is nearing obsolete status with the Israeli army.   They are not even producting them for their own, so its HIGHLY unlikely they make semis for  the US market.

Trust me guys, I LOVE Galils, but I simpley do not believe this is going to happen.

Find a nice parts kit and get a reciever and have one built.

I think galils are bitchin but whats so good about them, heavy, shoots the same round as a AR?? Probably more reliable??
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Does a Galil have a 'sporting' purpose?  I believe that is the requirement these days.

'Sporting' being defined by those who have no idea what a sport is, and who simultaneously fear any firearm that looks 'naughty'.   Just to be clear... if a firearm holds anything except 1 deer or pheasant seeking bullet, it's not for sport.

That sporting purpose bullshit only applies to imported rifles.

If someone made Galils here, it would make one bit of difference whether it had any "sporting purpose" or not.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I give you the OHIO RAPID FIRE GALIL.

Made by some of the finest AK builders out there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think galils are bitchin but whats so good about them, heavy, shoots the same round as a AR?? Probably more reliable??

AK reliability with AR15/M16 accuracy and a hell of a lot more ergonomic than your typical AK with better sights to boot.

Don't forget about the bottle opener !
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy a receiver, parts kit and compliance parts from Federal Arms Corp. AZEX Arms does the builds. Besides, AZEX and Derek are (in)famous. They were on the newz!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, I'd settle for a receiver cover mounted peep site for my Romanian SAR then.  Isn't Williams supposed to be making one?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AK reliability with AR15/M16 accuracy and a hell of a lot more ergonomic than your typical AK with better sights to boot.

hmmm I might have to check one out, Ak's are great but being more accurate would be nice...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sporting purpose bullshit only applies to imported rifles.

If someone made Galils here, it would make one bit of difference whether it had any "sporting purpose" or not.

Correct.  I was speaking to the topic of importing the Galil.  I agree that the sporting purpose definition is truely bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
The Galil is cool, and can be built up with kits and a receiver. I think I speak for a lot of us though that are more excited about the idea of a Sig 550 built here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top