Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 6:20:52 PM EDT
This is guy is in a heap of trouble.
=========================================================
www.kfwb.com/content.asp?STORY=/stories/E/EXPLOSIVES_ON_BOARD&groupName=AP%20Top%20National%20Headlines&LINEUP=USHEADS&table1tabCount=6&table1tabOn=1&table2tabCount=6&table2tabOn=2&tabParams=%26table1tabCount%3D6%26table1tabOn%3D1%26table2tabCount%3D6%26table2tabOn%3D2

Sep 14, 9:10 PM EDT

Contractor's Bag Full of Explosives at JFK

By MICHAEL WEISSENSTEIN
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A government contractor brought highly explosive Soviet munitions on his trip home from Afghanistan that were not detected until he arrived at John F. Kennedy airport, federal officials said.

Shaun Marshall, a medic for defense contractor DynCorp, arrived at Kennedy Aug. 19 from the United Arab Emirates. He was trying to board a United Airlines flight home to California when he was pulled aside for a routine security check.

A search of his bags by federal screeners found what police bomb technicians described in an FBI complaint as a Soviet "projectile point detonating fuse" and a "surface-to-air and air-to-air cartridge."

Federal officials said they could not comment Tuesday on the risk that the munitions posed to the flight. But the city police bomb squad determined the munitions were "highly explosive," according to the FBI complaint.

Marshall also had five .50-caliber bullets and four small arms cartridges, which he did not declare to United as required by law, according to the complaint made public Tuesday.

The Transportation Security Administration officers who searched Marshall's bags called police for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport.

"The fact that TSA located these explosives indicated the system is working," Assistant U.S. Attorney Lawrence Ferazani said.

Marshall, 26, told officers he was importing the munitions, which he believed to be inert, for use in DynCorp training exercises, and Port Authority police released him, federal officials said.

The FBI sent agents to arrest Marshall at his Riverside, Calif., home after the bomb squad analyzed the munitions and DynCorp officials said Marshall had no involvement in its training operations.

A Port Authority spokesman said he could not comment on why Marshall was released.

Marshall was released on bail in California and was expected to fly to New York City to be arraigned in federal court Friday.

He faces charges of placing explosives on an aircraft and trying to place ammunition on a domestic flight without notifying the carrier. He could face 20 years in prison if convicted.

Marshall's attorney declined to comment Tuesday.

DynCorp employees were warned not to bring dangerous materials back to the United States, company spokesman Mike Dickerson said.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone sees the real problem here right?
He was AT JFK before anyone located them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
what a friggin tool
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]

I bet they were all .50 caliber rounds. Probably trying to get a bunch of ammo home before the ban take affect.

He's lucky some dip wad TSA agent didn't cap him one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.ghg.net/cliffwatts/media/leonard.jpg
[FORMER DynCorp Employee Shaun Marshall]I AM in a world of shit![/FORMER DynCorp Employee Shaun Marshall]

Thanks, I needed that!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy MUST be a moron.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Could be a setup to make the real terrorists think twice...

edited to add:  How could you be that stupid???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes. I feel certain that's what it was. Perhaps you could have a career at DHS with those critical thinking skills.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]

The fact that TSA located these explosives indicated the system is working

I would have suggested Divine Intervention.

It's much easier to believe that than to believe 'the system is working'.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

edited to add:  How could you be that stupid???

Maybe he's the same guy posting about trying to get the cops to shoot him on a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Everyone sees the real problem here right?

He was AT JFK before anyone located them.

very true:
But airport security in UAE is most likely lax cause they don't think Muslim terrorists are gonna blow up a plane full of muslims over the ocean.....

This guy seems to be shit out O' Luck......if he violated company policy then I wouldn't expect  Dynacorp to stick their necks out for this guy

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Dumbass, Now his team is in a lurch since they are short a medic.  Did I say Dumbass?  Let me make sure I said Dumbass just to be sure everyone knows he is a Dumbass.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The fact that TSA located these explosives indicated the system is working

I would have suggested Divine Intervention.

It's much easier to believe that than to believe 'the system is working'.

That's kinda like, a cop shows up at a house on a call about a fight, sees a dog and shoots at it, and a ricorchet kills the neighbor, who turns out to be a wanted murder suspect.  Then, say "See, we got him, obviously the system is working."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top