Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 4:25:25 PM EDT
Story on Yahoo!

Film on Cat Torture Draws Protesters in Toronto

By Ka Yan Ng

TORONTO (Reuters) - Protesters urged ticket-holders outside a Toronto cinema on Tuesday to boycott a documentary about a vicious animal cruelty case in which three friends filmed the skinning of a live cat as an alleged art project.

Freedom for Animals, a Toronto group, has organized daily protests at the Toronto International Film Festival. Nearly 100 animal lovers went to Tuesday's demonstration when "Casuistry: The Art of Killing a Cat" made its world premiere.

The 91-minute documentary contains interviews with the three cat killers -- Jesse Power, Anthony Wennekers and Matt Kaczorowski -- as well as animal activists, artists, police and journalists. It does not show the cat's mutilation and death.

Power enlisted Wennekers and Kaczorowski in May 2001 to make a video that Power, an ex-vegetarian, said was an artistic statement about the suffering of animals used for meat.

They filmed a cat as they tempted it with a mouse, then skinned and decapitated and disemboweled it, and left its body dangling from the ceiling. Power intended to eat the cat, but never got the chance. The skinned cat was found in the beer fridge of the house where he lived.

"I never got to eat this cat, but a lot of other people are feasting off it," Power said in "Casuistry" -- which means misleadingly subtle reasoning.

The three eventually pleaded guilty to animal cruelty and mischief charges. Animal rights activists were incensed when they received minimal jail time.

Leading up to the film festival, animal rights activists had demanded that "Casuistry" be pulled from the program.

"This so-called 'documentary', is again shocking people because it is giving a platform to Mr. Power," said Suzanne Lahaie, Freedom for Animals co-founder.

But festival co-director Noah Cowan rejected the calls. "Film festivals exist, in part, to generate intelligent, reasoned discussion, not to stifle it," he said in a statement before the festival began.

Organizers said the two scheduled screenings will go ahead despite a phone threat to a staff member to "skin him alive" and "shove knives in his eyes."

Passersby looked on with curiosity at Tuesday's protest, while that very curiosity convinced some to buy tickets.

Michelle Dent, a psychology student, said she wanted to see the story behind the "anti-social and violent act" even if none of the graphic footage from Power's 17-minute video is shown.

Director Zev Asher chose to show the transcript of the court text of the videotape in sections throughout the film.

He told Reuters this way would be "more effective in evoking the stark horror that these guys were involved in."

Asher said he didn't believe his documentary glorified the so-called art project, but he made the film because he was fascinated by the international media attention it caused.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
wow. nobody bit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell kind of twisted, sick bastard tortures animals like that?

I'd hang 'em high if I had my way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
have knives, will travel
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You primative fuckers just don't understand art.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You primative fuckers just don't understand art.

Everyone here is so uncouth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
One question, why in hell do Cats seem to be the animal of choice for every sick bastard when it comes to hurting an animal?  Cats are one of the coolest animals on the planet if you take the time to get to know a little bit about them but is seems that when someone wants to hurt an animal they tend to pick on cats. Can someone please explain this to me and NO, I don't want to hear some bullshit answer, I want some facts, is there some part of a warped human brain that draws them toward cats for torture, is it because cats value their freedom and will fight back when some fuck tries to mess with them, is it because they're smaller then most dogs, WHY?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
they have teeny tiny peepee,  isnt that what motivates most freaks to kill things for no reason?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One question, why in hell do Cats seem to be the animal of choice for every sick bastard when it comes to hurting an animal?  Cats are one of the coolest animals on the planet if you take the time to get to know a little bit about them but is seems that when someone wants to hurt an animal they tend to pick on cats. Can someone please explain this to me and NO, I don't want to hear some bullshit answer, I want some facts, is there some part of a warped human brain that draws them toward cats for torture, is it because cats value their freedom and will fight back when some fuck tries to mess with them, is it because they're smaller then most dogs, WHY?

But you've got to admit it. That cat could ACT!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
maybe they are angry because mommy made them wear a dress until they were 12?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#10]
You just can't leave a dead cat lie can you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Pangea,

I think maybe it's just a TN thing, Frank wouldn't understand....oh, wait, nevermind.

Just messin' with ya, Frank!

I think cats are easy to 'abuse' because there are so many IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS WHO DON'T TAKE CARE OF THEIR ANIMALS AND ULTIMATELY ALLOW STRAY CATS TO RUN RAMPANT BEHIND EVERY BUSH, TREE, AND BIRD-FEEDER!

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

And for what it's worth, yeah, I think the story was pretty sick...but when I saw it, I had to post it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What the hell kind of twisted, sick bastard tortures animals like that?

He did.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Cat.  The other white meat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate cats, but I don't kill them.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I  just "adopted" another cat. We had two show up here, one calico(no,not the gun with the 100rnd. mag.)and a black n' white one. The calico ran off but the black n' white one stuck around and I'm going to keep it even though I've already got two cats. I'm going to take it to the vet and have it checked out, get it's shots and get it fixed and if we can't find it a good home we'll just keep it. This was a stray that I think someone dropped off at our place, I'm not going to kill it or skin it or feed it anti-freeze because it's to damn cute to hurt and I don't see how anyone else could hurt it, it just doesn't make sence how someone can hurt something that's so darn cute.  I guess some people are just mean and heartless. Karma will catch up with them someday, just you wait and see.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I  just "adopted" another cat. We had two show up here, one calico(no,not the gun with the 100rnd. mag.)and a black n' white one. The calico ran off but the black n' white one stuck around and I'm going to keep it even though I've already got two cats. I'm going to take it to the vet and have it checked out, get it's shots and get it fixed and if we can't find it a good home we'll just keep it. This was a stray that I think someone dropped off at our place, I'm not going to kill it or skin it or feed it anti-freeze because it's to damn cute to hurt and I don't see how anyone else could hurt it, it just doesn't make sence how someone can hurt something that's so darn cute.  I guess some people are just mean and heartless. Karma will catch up with them someday, just you wait and see.

Hey, I have no problem with that. I admit, they're cute. One of these days, I'd like to have a pet cat....maybe.....

In the meantime, I hope the world's next stray cat shows up at your door, not mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
TN frank. Hello fellow sucker.

got 4 cats here. 3 of which just hung around til we adopted them.

Chris

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#19]

One question, why in hell do Cats seem to be the animal of choice for every sick bastard when it comes to hurting an animal? Cats are one of the coolest animals on the planet if you take the time to get to know a little bit about them but is seems that when someone wants to hurt an animal they tend to pick on cats. Can someone please explain this to me and NO, I don't want to hear some bullshit answer, I want some facts, is there some part of a warped human brain that draws them toward cats for torture, is it because cats value their freedom and will fight back when some fuck tries to mess with them, is it because they're smaller then most dogs, WHY?

+1

Couldn't have put it better myself...

Edited to add-  I have 3 cats we adopted, all brothers, and I wouldn't trade them for the world
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Just an opinion of course, But a cat is more apt to come over to say hello for a scratch. they're easy prey for these freaks.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Power enlisted Wennekers and Kaczorowski in May 2001 to make a video that Power, an ex-vegetarian, said was an artistic statement about the suffering of animals used for meat.

Seems to me artistry is become a do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-to license.

But festival co-director Noah Cowan rejected the calls. "Film festivals exist, in part, to generate intelligent, reasoned discussion, not to stifle it," he said in a statement before the festival began.

Which proves this asshat wouldn't recognize unintelligent, unreasoned anything, even it where to slither up to him & bit him on the ass.

Asher said he didn't believe his documentary glorified the so-called art project, but he made the film because he was fascinated by the international media attention it caused.

Here is the real truth about the modern artiste': morbid fascination. No regard for anything except the spectacle of it. Liberal application of a cricket bat to their bare-asses, up to the point that even just the thought of entertaining themselves w/ such a spectacle would have them vomit, would be an appropriate (& fascinating) response. Unfortunately, the bunny-huggin' world we live in won't do that.

I'll never understand why animal cruelty is taken so lightly. Portends to potential psychopathology. We had a similar case in WA State: 2 Idiots shot a dog repeatedly w/ arrows until it died. They didn't seem to be too ashamed w/ themselves; one looked quite pleased, in fact, & should have had his ass kicked just for the attitude he displayed in the courtroom, irrespective of his crime. They got the max sentence, which was not nearly enough, but all the judge could legally impose. I think stuff like this should result in forced hard labor, at the very least (though I still prefer the bare-ass whuppin' method).

Guess I'll never understand the need to be cruel to weaker animals. Must be a lack of personal controlling ability or power-trip problem. In any case, it indicates a lack of character.

Hope these guys run into some justice down the road.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I have no problem with that. I admit, they're cute. One of these days, I'd like to have a pet cat....maybe.....

In the meantime, I hope the world's next stray cat shows up at your door, not mine.

Admit it. You just want to keep a few fresh ones around to patch your catskin sofa every now and then.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm allergic to cats.  

Cats are allergic to me too.  They seem to build up a lethal dose of lead within minutes of entering visual range of me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Here arowneragain, I thought you were going to dig yourself a hole you couldn't get out,
but I see you dodged  that bullet.

I am still dealing with feral bats though

GM
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Admit it. You just want to keep a few fresh ones around to patch your catskin sofa every now and then.

Truth is I'm working on a coat for my wife.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I despise cats, but that is flocked up!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here arowneragain, I thought you were going to dig yourself a hole you couldn't get out,
but I see you dodged  that bullet.

I am still dealing with feral bats though

GM

They're a bear to hit with a shotgun, eh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Hard to hit bats with a shotgun my ass! Just shoot twice in rapid succession near the bat and in the exact same place. The bat goes after the shotcup and the followup shot gets the bat. I thought everyone knew this if they were over 10 years old.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hard to hit bats with a shotgun my ass! Just shoot twice in rapid succession near the bat and in the exact same place. The bat goes after the shotcup and the followup shot gets the bat. I thought everyone knew this if they were over 10 years old.

No...comment....

<---thinking of shiftless summer evenings on the pond bank, with a shotgun and a handful of shells.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#30]
We used to shoot the bats at my grandfathers place with his old 410. if you shot while they were coming at you, they were fast enough to veer off, BUT flying away from you, they didn't stand a chance.

PULL!

Chris

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Of course after you kill off all the bats be ready to get eaten alive by all the Mosquitoes that they would have eaten.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#32]
if i ever see some one doing shit like that i will make a film on how to skin a human. everyday we prove that humans are the worst animals on earth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Of course after you kill off all the bats be ready to get eaten alive by all the Mosquitoes that they would have eaten.

Nahh...we have many, many bats.

I figure if I can have the decency to preserve a chunk of forest for them to roost in, and provide them a pond to forage over, they can sacrifice the 2 bats/year that I USED to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Where are the complaining protestors and why aren't they lining up when cops get shot, when the ice cream man molests the 6 year old customer, or when crackwhore mothers toss their babies into canals?

The people have some backwards ass priorities, things are really fucked up in this world.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
if God did not intend for us to shoot feral cats....

then why do they do such a cool flip when you hit them?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#36]

The coyotes get em first around here.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh, as I am sitting here I see the perfect example (not to hijack the thread or anything).

Man in police chase tosses baby out of car

EDIT:  Nevermind, I should have read the whole story first, the guy is dead.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a special place in the hottest level of hell for these fuckers and I hope they get there soon.

Fuckers should be shot in the  head and left for the fucking birds to eat. Burying's to good for 'em.

Evil Bastards, as is anyone who supports or condones. PERIOD.

SG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There is a special place in the hottest level of hell for these fuckers and I hope they get there soon.

Fuckers should be shot in the  head and left for the fucking birds to eat. Burying's to good for 'em.

Evil Bastards, as is anyone who supports or condones. PERIOD.

SG

Theology isn't your strong point, huh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I say give them thier skinning knives, toss them in a pit with a couple of 600 lb bengals, and let them make some art.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I paid someone to cut our cat's balls off today.  For some reason, we opted to leave the skin intact, though.  Never thought about getting it on video.
Oooh!  When this cat grows up and has kittens, we'll try again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top