Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/14/2004 2:18:29 PM EDT

I leave for work very early to beat the traffic, so its usually dark out. Not pitch black but a little dark. Either way, I thought I had my lights on but I guess only the parking ones came on. So a few blocks from my house I get pulled over. I remember having some kung-fu weapons in my work briefcase, so not wanting to be charged with prohibited offensive weapons charge, i did the following:

Locked the combination lock on my briefcase, grabbed my registration and stepped out of the vehicle. I locked the door behind me and placed the keys on the roof and stepped calmly to the front of the vehicle, away from the police car and sat on the hood.

Thats when the yelling started! "SIR STEP BACK IN THE VEHICLE"... My response: no, thats ok I'll stay out here. "SIR GET BACK IN YOUR CAR NOW"....Me: Why? I'm already out here.

Out come the LEO's. Hand on gun...SIR GET BACK IN YOUR VEHICLE NOW.

Me: Not going to happen...why did you stop me.

PD: Lights were off, show me license, registration, insurance now. Keep hands out of your pockets. Are you wanted for any charges.

Me: Hand over paperwork, smile the whole time.

After about 10-minutes, he comes back, another police cruiser shows up. 1st officer: "Do you mind if I look in your vehicle?" ME: Yes I do, you have no permission from me to seach vehicle plus you have no probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

Officer 1: We can tow the vehicle and search it then. Fine but briefcase is locked and you cannot look in there. WOW...were they ever pissed!!!! Officer #2 looked like he could kill me right there. So, they go back to vehicle, shine light into vehicle and look to see what they can find...which is nothing.

A few minutes later I get a ticket for not having lights on and both cars leave. I waited about 5-minutes, opened the car, threw the briefcase in the trunk and drove off.

Analysis: Small ticket for light. No possible charge...even if vehicle was towed, they cannot search the locked briefcase.

I walked away today with a new respect for the constitution.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dumbass comes to mind.  Retard is also fitting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
And if you had pulled over, let him come to your window, you would have gotten a warning...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you hadnt been a prick you probably wouldnt have gotten a ticket and you would not have gotten searched for a stop like that.

Thats ok, I'll take my chances with the small ticket....but I cannot take chances with any charges. I have a clearance to uphold for work. If I get a charge, I MUST report it ASAP. Which means no jobby-job.

So, no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Way to stand up for YOUR rights!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, way to get a ticket.

Seriously, you are lucky they didn't slap you around.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yes, by god, how dare he stand for his rights.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you had stayed in your car like everyone else that gets pulled over for traffic violations they probably wouldn't have asked. When you jumped out of your car, and locked the door you made it look like you had something to hide.

ETA: If you clearence is that important, you may want to consider not riding around with illegal shit in your car.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Good for you for exercising your rights.  

Now why are you playing with Kung Fu type weapons?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
You know, I'm exactly the same kind of asshole you are and may have done exactly the same thing but you might not have gotten a ticket at all if you hadn't irritated the JBTs.  What pissed them off the most was that you were right and rubbed their face in it. Hope you don't cross paths with these fine gentlemen again.  You won't get the benefit of the doubt if you do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
As opposed to just locking the briefcase and waiting in the car? They STILL cant search the case whether your in the car or not
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Good job. Most of the cops I know got beat up in high school and their making you pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
+1

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Now why are you playing with Kung Fu type weapons?

I was actually selling a pair of Tonfas and a Sai to a co-worker...so I just threw them in my case and got in my car.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually if they found a way to arrest you they could search your vehicle and your briefcase.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris

Quoted:

Which one? The right to carry around illegal shit, and then act stupid enough to piss off the cops?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Good you stood up to them. When I worked lated, I get some everyonce in a long while, because the local PD guy was bored.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate to say it, but did your parents have any kids that lived? What exactly was your reason for getting out of the car. Were you trying to direct attention away from your vehicle? Maybe the cop thought that. And then you were a smart ass to boot. I dont  know you and you may be a nice guy, but what you did was DUMB.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]

I locked the door behind me and placed the keys on the roof and stepped calmly to the front of the vehicle, away from the police car and sat on the hood.

Ooooooooooooooooook....and why?

Step out of the car and move to the front out of the officers' sight? Gee, thats not suspicious at all.  

Heres some free advice, my patriot friend...relax in your car and tell the cop "no, you cannot search."  It's not rocket science.    

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I would have played it cool and gotten back in the car when they asked. Actually I wouldn't have gotten out in the first place. Learn some poker playing skills.

Lemme guess, you're in your early to mid 20's? They were probably profiling for drunks. Most small town police depts love making DUI busts for revenue. I used to get stopped by the same B.Fife 6x a year to see if I was drunk going to work at 5 am.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
um... never get out of the car... they are nervous enough as it is pulling people over.

But good job not letting them search your car.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.  Unfortunately its not criminal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I locked the door behind me and placed the keys on the roof and stepped calmly to the front of the vehicle, away from the police car and sat on the hood.

Step out of the car and move to the front out of the officers' sight? Gee, thats not suspicious at all.  

Heres some free advice, my patriot friend...relax in your car and tell the cop "no, you cannot search."  It's not rocket science.    

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Just the LEO's way of feeling big and bad... I know this will piss alot of cops here off.. but more and more Police Officers today are fitting the bill of JBTs... I know not all of them, and if you read this post and feel this does not describe you, then please don't take offense to my remarks...

But I live in a small town and the cops here are getting worse by the day.. They treat every stop like the person is a drunk, mass murdering drug dealer.. And damnit, it's just not funny anymore, getting pulled over for a tail light out, and having to submit to a breath test, and having your vehicle searched...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#27]
none of it was "illegal"( pair of Tonfas and a Sai)  and it was in a locked case in a locked car.

When I got pulled over with my pistol on the dash, I got right out and stepped to the front of the car.  too. got the same BS. Get back in the car. No way was I going to.

His right to not be hassled by the cops, with the ONLY reason being,  because he was in the right.

When you're in the right, you get to piss off the cops.

Again. Good Job Mayday!

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris

Quoted:

Which one? The right to carry around illegal shit, and then act stupid enough to piss off the cops?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a story to me in efforts to reitterate the second Ammendment.  I agree with all others coming from a law enforcement background.  Stay in the car, pulling the gun was a little out of sorts  by the officer but if you would have stayed in the car, you would have gotten a warning.  Especially after knowing why you got pulled over.  Stay in the car and turn your lights on.  Then there would be nothing he would do.  As far as not searching the briefcase after your car gets towed;  That was stupid.  With the implication you gave as to "my briefcase is locked so you can't get in it."  By the time the car got to the impound, they could have a search warrant and seize the briefcase.  So that leaves you with a fine to get the car out, a fine for the weapons, a ticket for the lights, no ride to work, and a trashed car when you get it back.  Plus, I've seen fellow officers act as complete pricks and charge a person with Obstruction of Justice which lands them in jail for a brief time just for the charges to be dropped.
Then they have to explain to their boss why they hired this stupid individual in the first place.  I guess what I am trying to ask is, do you feel lucky???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The only real problem I have with mayday's behavior is what might have happened.

He freaks the cops before they even put their car in park, and then refuses to comply with reasonable requests. They jump out of the cruiser and I would think their adrenaline starts flowing. They put their hands on their holstered guns and continue giving commands, which they would like to see obeyed for their own safety.

If one of them was...shall we say inexperienced, and shoots himself in the foot, ol' mayday would be having a real bad life for some time to come.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I would have thought you must have been 16, but you say you have a job with some sort of "clearence".
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Stupid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I leave for work very early to beat the traffic, so its usually dark out. Not pitch black but a little dark. Either way, I thought I had my lights on but I guess only the parking ones came on. So a few blocks from my house I get pulled over. I remember having some kung-fu weapons in my work briefcase, so not wanting to be charged with prohibited offensive weapons charge, i did the following:

Locked the combination lock on my briefcase, grabbed my registration and stepped out of the vehicle. I locked the door behind me and placed the keys on the roof and stepped calmly to the front of the vehicle, away from the police car and sat on the hood.

Thats when the yelling started! "SIR STEP BACK IN THE VEHICLE"... My response: no, thats ok I'll stay out here. "SIR GET BACK IN YOUR CAR NOW"....Me: Why? I'm already out here.

PD: Lights were off, show me license, registration, insurance now. Keep hands out of your pockets. Are you wanted for any charges.

After about 10-minutes, he comes back, another police cruiser shows up. 1st officer: "Do you mind if I look in your vehicle?" ME: Yes I do, you have no permission from me to seach vehicle plus you have no probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

Officer 1: We can tow the vehicle and search it then. Fine but briefcase is locked and you cannot look in there. WOW...were they ever pissed!!!! Officer #2 looked like he could kill me right there. So, they go back to vehicle, shine light into vehicle and look to see what they can find...which is nothing.

A few minutes later I get a ticket for not having lights on and both cars leave. I waited about 5-minutes, opened the car, threw the briefcase in the trunk and drove off.

Analysis: Small ticket for light. No possible charge...even if vehicle was towed, they cannot search the locked briefcase.

Cool! Just take the citation to court, the judge should just dismiss the charge.

( be NICE to the judge)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND why people think they need to step out of the car when pulled over.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
He does have a clearance.  Wal-Mart Security.  You can;t get in the Loss Prevention Room without a password.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#35]
do not do the following sounds just about right.  what type of clearance do you require for work?  and being that you've already proven your an upstanding citizen by keeping clean enough to get a clearance in the first place assuming you mean "secret" "confidential" or "top secret" then what are you thinking putting your career in jeopardy for a couple of cheesy kung-foo weapons anyway?  I guess you get a mark for standing up to a more than likely bored cop, but no marks for doing wrong in the first place.  <out>
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#36]

You attracted a lot more attention to yourself than you needed to. Locking the briefcase was smart, but if you had stayed in the vehicle, acted like a normal citizen on your way home from work, had your license and registration in your hand, with both hands placed on top of the steering wheel, once the LEO figured out you weren't drinking, it's hard to believe you would have gotten more than a friendly reminder to turn your lights on.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

congrats! you win the dummy of the day award!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't get the reasoning that if the car is locked then it's for sure he can't look in the locked briefcase sort of like a double secret no peeky strategy.  Maybe he though K-9s could sniff out martial arts weapons.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I would have thought you must have been 16, but you say you have a job with some sort of "clearence".

he knows the colonels secret recipe
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he knows the colonels secret recipe

He's not smart enough to be the BUSH'S BEANS Golden Retriever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Dumbass, when you get pulled over take the keys out of the ignition and keep your hands on the dashboard and remember, reach for your license and registration slowly.  I do it and can tell it helps cops feel more relaxed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Way to stand up for YOUR rights!  

That is the way I feel also

They have the right to go fishing

and you have the right -------- to say no, I am using my rights.

That is why this is America.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe Mr.Top-Secret-KungFu-Agent-007 should have shown the officer his Secret Agent ID.
Most cops let Top-Secret-KungFu-Agent-007 Agents go with just a:
"we're all in this together, have a nice day...".
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You did the exact right thing.  Kudos and congratulations for having a backbone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm just a pizza delivery guy but: wouldn't most people with 'clearance' keep that shit to themselves? Just a question...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah make fun of kung fu stuff, but a retard cop could make something out of it-- it has been done in the past and will be done in the future.

You have rights --------- use them or lose them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
none of it was "illegal"( pair of Tonfas and a Sai)  and it was in a locked case in a locked car.

When I got pulled over with my pistol on the dash, I got right out and stepped to the front of the car.  too. got the same BS. Get back in the car. No way was I going to.

His right to not be hassled by the cops, with the ONLY reason being,  because he was in the right.

When you're in the right, you get to piss off the cops.

Again. Good Job Mayday!

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris

Quoted:

If nothing was illegal then why the concern about being charged for having "prohibeted offensive weapons"?

There is nothing stupid about locking the case, or refusing to consent to a search. But to hop out of the car, lock it, and walk around after a cop asks him to get back in the car is just stupid. If he hadn't done that they may have asked why he had his lights off, and let him be on his way. Instead he did something entirely different from what everyone else in America does when they get pulled over. I'm not a cop, nor do I even know any cops, but that would certainly set off some alarm bells in my head.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I have news for you mayday, and everybody else too....... If the cops want to take you, they will find a way, end of story. Charges may not stick, you may walk later or whatever, but it will still cost you in some way. If you enjoy riding the edge of freedom vs. handcuffs (even for a bogus charge) then feel free to aggravate. The bottom line is, unless your a criminal, you should make the stop safe for all involved so that EVERYBODY goes home safe. If you don’t want them to search, tell them no and see what happens, getting out of the car and acting suspicious is a good way for bad shit to happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ....The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."

-Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top