Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 10:13:35 AM EDT
That the 1903 and 1903A3 rifles are covered in GREASE, OIL, DIRT AND COSMO......

Here is what I got today, it even came in a silver baggy,

Now the FUN STARTS, this is going to be messy....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Tooth brush and cans of WD 40

good luck...............
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Worship the cosmoline...

It's why so many old rifles that were carelessly stored are like new...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#3]
WD-40, brake cleaner, Simple Green.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My Ishapore Enfield was so gooped up that I broke it down, and just took the barelled action and
bolt over to the 'pay & go' carwash, and blasted it with their 'engine degreaser' mix, then washed it
down with the hot-water rinse. Came out looking great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nix the Simple Green, it's corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy some non-chloranatd brake clean .. it melts the stuff right off. i used it to clean my dads SKS and it looked beautifull under the greasy mess..
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got two 1903s and one M1 sitting like that in my living room - still in the bag.  I bought them over a year ago!  It was such a hassle prepping the first that the others will have to wait until I get motivated again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Take the stock off and dip the metal in gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep on the gas...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nix the Simple Green, it's corrosive.

What?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Remove the wood and drop it into a tank of  Tri-sodium Phosphate in hot water in 5-10 minutes.  All the cosmoline will float up to the surface.  Acetone for the wood; brake cleaner and WD40 work pretty well too.

I do this 2-3 days a week at work on old Enfields.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#13]
WHATEVER you do to remove cosmoline, eventually you will have to do it again - and again. Cosmoline is the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I got mine also from the CMP and it was the GREASIEST gun I've EVER cleaned up...

Here's some of what you can look forwards to in the barrel:

Lots of fun!!

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got mine also from the CMP and it was the GREASIEST gun I've EVER cleaned up...

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/52701903-Nasty-barrel.jpg

Lots of fun!!

Shawn

Eeeewww.....but remember- all that gun-poop's what kept that gun so nice and shiny all these years- and will still, even after you think you've cleaned it all off....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/52701903-Nasty-barrel.jpg

Lots of fun!!

Shawn

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Please advise why/how Simple Green is corrosive?

Acetone doesn't hurt wood?

Thanks!  Alan
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#18]
kerosene is cheap and relatively safe.   Oven cleaner (Easy Off) will work for the wood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I almost want to get one just to have the experiance of cleaning one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Simple Green has citric acid in it, that's why he said it was corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I used simple green in boiling hot water as per reccomendations online, and it worked AWESOME.  I didn't spend a whole lot of time scrubbing.  Just a little time brushing the corners as a touch up after the soak.  The hot water melts/softens the cosmo, and the soap action of the simple green does the rest.  No need for harsh chemicals.

Corrosiveness?  I Didn't notice any problems.  Paranoia I say!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Oven cleaner will break down wood fibers.  Thus, it is a no-no.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Simple Green has citric acid in it, that's why he said it was corrosive.

Most of the citrus-based cleaners are advertised as being non-corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi, when I received my Springfield 1903 from the CMP it was covered in grease, not as bad as the one pictured though. I disassembled the weapon completely and poured boiling water on the metal parts, grease/cosmoline melted right off. I cleaned the wood with mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum.

Extremely. I also don't think getting it in the barrel/receiver threads on a rifle would be a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_faqs.php

It's just not possible to rinse well enough in skin laps or things like the barrel/receiver junction. I personally know of an AT-6 (WWII trainer) that required reskinning of the wings after being cleaned with Simple Green for years. I believe the Army has also forbid it's use.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]
We can agree on the use on airplanes that are not going to be power washed afterward. But on a rilfle that I am going to wash in the sink, I do not think that I have a problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Here a few more pic, check out the Armory section for alot more.....

All cleaned up and ready to go.......

Sign of repair at a Arsenal.......

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I got an Enfield at a show a few years that was coated so thick in cosmoline that I wasn't sure there was a rifle under there.
I wiped the heavy grease off with old rags. Degreased as best as I could with a gallon of acetone, then detail stripped it and leaned the stock and barreled action against my garage door in the hot afternoon sun. Left it that way all day. The heat had somewhat liquified the grease and it all finally ran off. Wiped it down again and did the same thing the next day.

Had to do that for a few days in a row till it stopped bleeding out. It is now one of the best looking original finish rifles I have next to my Swiss k31.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#32]
If you use a huge pot of boiling water you don't need any solvent or cleaner at all.

Just thought you might want to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top