Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 8:21:37 PM EDT
OK, first I'm middle-aged. (Yeah, I'm gonna live to be 106.) Never been into hot-rods, monster trucks, or some of the "crap" sports shown on the boob-toobe.

But you should check out BattleBots

[url]www.battlebots.com[/url]

These are radio control (RC) combat vehicles whose sole design is to destroy the other battle bot.

Unlimited class  weight limit is some 360 lbs. These things have huge battle axes, tungsten carbide saw blades. (No flame thowers, nets, snares, or "untethered" projectiles), spears, claws . . .

The go at it in a 48 foot sq. "pit" for 3 min. The pit has a tungsten carbide spike rail, a huge hammer, "kill saws" (20 in. tungsten carbide blades) that pop up out of the floor.

Lots of innovative engineering going on here. Some of these bots run $6 - 10 K. My nephew turned me on to this. He has an engineer friend who found a sponsor. (It's sponsored competition like drag racing.)

The competition airs on Comedy Channel at about 10:30 PM one week night, and 11:30 Sat. night.

If you're into high tech destruction, this is for you!

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the first event back in '94 when it was called Robot Wars. It was much more crudely organized and slow moving then. But if you want to se REAL battling robots of mass destruction, then check out Survival Research Labs

[url]http://www.srl.org[/url]
"Producing the most dangerous shows on earth"

They once were planning to do a show coinciding with Knob Creek but i guess it never happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top