Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:37:25 AM EDT
I've read that the main complaint about the AR-10 (from the military at the time), was the rifle was too lightweight to be shooting a round of that size.  To the people that own both an AR10 and an AR15, do you feel that the AR10 is in fact too 'light' for such a round?  ...and how long have you owned / had experience with both of these rifles?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
My AR-10(T) is definitely not "too light".  

Armalite makes a good solid product.

I've never heard the 'too lightweight' arguement before.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've never heard the 'too lightweight' arguement before.  Got a link?

+1      That's the first time I've heard that.

I have a 10 and 15 as well.  The 10 is a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The original AR10A was around 8lbs IIRC......I don't have my books here at work to verify.  They used the bakelite handguards and such...

Pretty light for a full auto 7.62NATO.....

Okay,... this makes more sense.  They may have had issues trying to control the beast.  Too bad they didn't have a JP recoil eliminator back then.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea... now that you mention it, full-auto is probably what their talking about when they say 'too-light'.
   The information I got is from a thick book on Veitnam. It'll give you anything and everything you ever wanted to know about that war, from the beggining, to the end.   It's actually pretty good 'thrown' reading.  I just love these stories these guys have about that place. I got a laught the other day when they were talking about c-rations. This guy said, "If you didn't like Lima beans, your life was hell, becuase that's all they had. Ham and lima beans. They called them 'Ham and Motherfuckers'...  ".
   It's also cool becuase a budy of mine was in NAM and I'll talk to him about these stories and he'll add on to them, giving me a better picture.  
   oh,,.... were talking about ar10's....  sorry.  

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
AR10s aren't light.  After deer hunting with mine last season I can attest to that fact.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
have both, and the 10 is a better weapon system in my opinion,  if you pick up a 20 inch A4, in both 5.56 and 7.62 you will feel the diffrence.  almost everything in the 10 was redone to take into account the 7.62 round when it was reinterduced in the mid 90's.

at least one marine reserve units from area area who deployed recently have pick up a 10T as a substitute for the resevist not being able to attain an east or west cost SAM with ACOG setup,  have herd anyhting from a friend who is deployed with them as the if the weapon is having any issues.  coudnt tell you anything about the optics though

S/F
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have an AR-10, but my FALs are heavy assed bitches compared to my ARs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top