Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:12:08 AM EDT
So yesterday after my shift i stopped by to see a friend who is an 02 manufacturer , class 3 dealer etc etc. I stopped in to see about having a AR SBR'd. While i was there the local newspaper called and wanted to talk to him about the AWB as well as the local news station. The newspaper reporter actually spent about 35 minutes or with us as we explained the pure cosmetic features that were banned and the wide avalibilty of the "banned" items. She honestly understood what a waste the law was. When i show the her the big 3' my stocked gained her jaw dropped and she said " that's it, that's all it does , but how does that make that gun worse?" It was pretty funny actually.  The article actually turned out pretty decent.   She asked what i did , i just said i was an instructor  b/c i didn't feel i would be quoted correctly if she knew i was a LEO and  I don't speak for my entire department which  i figured she would word it. I did have on a ARFCOM shirt in the photo but, the damn rifle is covering the logo. I was hoping to get it in there   b/c they took several shots. But I did mention the site she left the name out though.  here's the link.
The News Press

Don the shop owner spoke with the Tv station and he brought our his browning 1919 which is legal under clinton's ban. You should of seen their faces when they saw that. It was great.

J
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Was she hot?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
J, good job educating the press. Some of the stuff they've been running up here makes my blood boil.....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Was she hot?

only if you like over weight and short women.

J
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thats actually an almost decent article.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
and they still didn't get it right....fucking unbelievable..
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeha, I was thinking the same thing MrFloppy.

Not a bad article at all.

GJ  Aim4
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rifle you got there.....It looks evil!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]
That was a perfect opportunity to take a reporter to the range! At least you enlightened her a little. I say a little because it takes time to educate the ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
All in all, a pretty decent article.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Does this now qualify you as a pro-gun celebrity? BTW nice job informing the populace.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You were supposed to be wearing a Life, Liberty, Etc. shirt!  

+

He's lucky just to HAVE a shirt...IIRC, the Arfcom shirt was one of the few things he took with him when the hurricane took everything else.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#13]

"Now this is Super Evil Rifle,"

tada!!!!!!! isn't it all the more scary now????  Glad they caught your sense of humor.  

Pro-gun activists disagree, but even law enforcement officials are hesitant to say the ban lift will result in more crime.
"When you're talking about hardened criminals, a ban doesn't make a difference except for the fact we can hit them with another charge," said Larry Long, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. "If you have an individual intent on committing a crime and using a weapon, he's going to reach out and find any weapon he possibly can, whether it's an assault weapon, handgun or shotgun."

Thank you!  Kinda sick of hearing that all cops are shaking in their shoes over the sunset.

Good article!  Great job!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You were supposed to be wearing a Life, Liberty, Etc. shirt!  

+

He's lucky just to HAVE a shirt...IIRC, the Arfcom shirt was one of the few things he took with him when the hurricane took everything else.

DVDTracker sent J a bunch of shirts to replace some of the colthing he lost.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#15]
The caption under your pic is kind of misleading.  "became legal" as if it was illegal 5 days ago.  To the uneducated reading that, it's going to sound like every single thing about the rifle was unavailable before the sunset.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
The only range in the area for the public is closed on Mondays due to season.

I didn't know there was going to be media there . I was just going to talk guns. I had a ARFCOM shirt on that  DK sent me.  DVDtracker was very  nice and sent quote a few LLETC shirts. But no matter what shirt i had the logo would of been useless due to the picture they chose. I'm just glad i changed out of my uniform.  

The rest of the officers on the road like myself know this ban meant nothing.  I'm just glad i got the chance to express our opinion here locally.

After my shift i stopped in for a hair cut ( gotta have that every 2 weeks or i feel sloppy ) i asked the barber if he read the paper. He says what paper and points to the pegboard where my photo is hanging. Above it he wrote " nice hair cut"

J

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#17]
J, you did good man!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#18]
You did good.  Thanks for representing us.  The article was decently written, too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#19]

"Now this is Super Evil Rifle," he said

LOL awesome!

oh, wth kinda barrel is that??
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the reporter still needs an education.

The AWB did NOT ban the SALE or POSSESION of these "pre-ban" configured guns,(Pre-bans are still plentiful) it ONLY banned the new manufacture, and sale to civilians.
The AWB also didn't ban the SALE or POSSESION of hi-cap mags. It only banned the new manufacture and sale to civilians.

It frustrates me to no end...
You can explain this to people over and over again, yet they STILL fuck-up the facts...

SIMPLY AMAZING.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Well done! I love to see logic get a page in the paper. It seems that too often all these guys want to print are rediculas claims that they know is going to get the public all spooled up!

Bravo Zulu!

JIM
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Well done.

I work for a local radio station, and I did an hour with the host explaining the silliness of the AWB.

I TRULY beleive we MUST use the local media to educate people.

Letters to the editor, call in talk radio, whatever is available.

If WE don't educate the sheeple, the anti gunners will.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Looks like the reporter still needs an education.

The AWB did NOT ban the SALE or POSSESION of these "pre-ban" configured guns,(Pre-bans are still plentiful) it ONLY banned the new manufacture, and sale to civilians.
The AWB also didn't ban the SALE or POSSESION of hi-cap mags. It only banned the new manufacture and sale to civilians.

It frustrates me to no end...
You can explain this to people over and over again, yet they STILL fuck-up the facts...

SIMPLY AMAZING. hr

I can understand your sense of exasperation. Take heart, at least they didn't whip out that old saw about machine-guns, bazookas, flamethrowers, et al. Atwater got most of it right on. Kudos to her!

Samsong
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#24]

"But today, we have a war on terrorism waged on us and people should have the right to bear arms."

Damn Skippy!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Not surprised they took a picture of rifle that was tricked out to the max though. That thing looks scarier than most Hollywood guns... shit that would probably mae Ahnold tinkle in his pants. Where the article does some justice the pictue pretty well negates any chance of it doing any good. Should have picked the most generic, bare-bones AR for the photo. I wouldn't be surprised to see that one pop up again in another article somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Aim4MyHead: Your friend did good, but many times the guy in charge, editor or producer/director will override the reporter and write it this way. And the facts be damned.

A famous quote asked by a reporter of Micheal Roos(one of the origina supporters of Kali-fornia's original AW ban), "isn't this unconstitutional?" Roos' reply, "I don't care, we are banning assualt weapons."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
my friend? The newspaper reporter? Hadn't met that lady until she walked in the shop. She seemed like she understood our point though. We felt pretty good about what she took away.

J
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I think he deserves a free ARFCOM shirt for that one but with bigger letters
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Aim4MyHead,
You did well, baby steps is all we can hope for at this moment

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top