Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 3:20:34 AM EDT

Three Dogs Shot During Police Chase
Officer Encounters Three Dogs While Chasing Assault Suspect

POSTED: 12:49 pm PDT September 13, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- A man plans to file a legal claim against the city after police shot and killed his dog and wounded two others in his back yard while pursuing an assault suspect.

The officer crossed through the back yard of Luis Mendivil late Saturday night in Hemet, about 35 miles south of Riverside. The officer encountered the man's three pit bull terriers while chasing the suspect, who was later arrested in a nearby yard.

Mendivil was not home at the time but his two nephews were watching television in the house.

"I just heard 'boom, boom, boom, boom,' and then the dogs started yelping," said 12-year-old Adrian Mendivil.

He and his brother went to see what happened but officers ordered them inside.

Police Sgt. Jeff Pinney said Sunday that one pit bull bit an officer and a police dog. He said the officers used pepper spray before resorting to their guns.

"In an ideal world, we would have had time to plan and get less lethal guns," he said.

Mendivil's mother, Hilda, said she saw an officer fire three shots at the family's 6-month-old pit bull terrier, Root Beer. The dog survived. Its mother, Maria, was killed. A third dog, Luigi, was shot in the jaw and survived.

Mendivil, 27, said his dogs have never shown aggression toward people and that there were no signs of pepper spray use on the two animals when he took them to his veterinarian the next day in Mexico. He questions whether police followed proper procedures.

In June, Beaumont city officials agreed to pay a Beaumont man $5,000 after police killed his Rottweiler while responding to a silent alarm call. They later learned that the officers were at the wrong house and that the alarm had come from the man's neighbor.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3726784/detail.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Totally fucked up, the dogs were defending their teritory (back yard), and the cops put themselves into the situation.
LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
wow....I guess I'll be the first

"Ban dogs for the children"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe this is a dupe. The other one was locked because the moderators apparently thought it was headed in a wrong direction. IBTL
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
At least the officers went home safe.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]

They later learned that the officers were at the wrong house

There's no problem in defending yourself against an animal attack, but why do they so often end-up at the wrong address?  In all but one SWAT raid I've read about in the local paper, the local (keystone) cops have kicked-in the wrong door.  In an apartment complex I've worked part-time as a maintenance man, I've seen them enter the wrong apartment four out of four times so far.  The building numbers are clearly marked with the letter on the door in bright brass.  I can understand getting in a hurry, but not when it happens so often!z
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe in the world of John Kerry and Treza Heinz, the world of Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham, the world of the Democratic party, the world of the religion of peace and I beleive that this topic will not degrade into another "ARF cop-bashing" thread.

Quoted:
I believe this is a dupe. The other one was locked because the moderators apparently thought it was headed in a wrong direction. IBTL

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
DUPE. IT ran 10 pages before it got locked.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=274103
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
duplicate thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top