Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 1:32:29 AM EDT
Hawaii's Mauna Loa shows signs of erupting

Monday, September 13, 2004 Posted: 8:56 AM EDT (1256 GMT)

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) -- Earthquakes have been rumbling more frequently deep beneath Mauna Loa, suggesting that the world's largest volcano is getting ready to erupt for the first time in 20 years, scientists said.

"We don't believe an eruption is right around the corner, but every day that goes by is one day closer to that event," said Paul Okubo, a seismologist at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory on the Big Island.

Mauna Loa erupted for three weeks in 1984, sending a 16-mile lava flow toward Hilo. Since then, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that more than $2.3 billion has been invested in new construction along Mauna Loa's slopes.

Since July, more than 350 earthquakes have been recorded far beneath the 13,677-foot-high Mauna Loa, said Don Swanson, scientist-in-charge at the observatory.

"Mauna Loa is grumbling, growling and getting ready to come out of its den," he told West Hawaii Today for Sunday's editions.

The earthquakes have been what seismologists call "long period," which means their signals gradually rise above the noise generated by usual seismic activity.

"Such a concentrated number of deep, long-period earthquakes from this part of Mauna Loa is unprecedented, at least in our modern earthquake catalog dating back to the 1960s," Okubo said.

While forecasting an eruption cannot be exact, Okubo noted that the mountain today is wired with more state-of-the-art tracking and measuring technology than ever before.

The definite sign of an impending eruption is an earthquake swarm -- a dramatic increase in the number of daily tremors from a handful, to dozens to ultimately hundreds, Okubo said.

Mauna Loa is within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, which also contains the well-known Kilauea volcano. Kilauea has been erupting continuously since Jan. 3, 1983.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quick, somebody throw in a virgin.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Mauna Loa erupted for three weeks in 1984, sending a 16-mile lava flow toward Hilo. Since then, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that more than $2.3 billion has been invested in new construction along Mauna Loa's slopes.

How much of an IDIOT do you have to be to build ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST ACTIVE VOLCANO ON THE PLANET?

Pele does NOT suffer fools and she is going to fuck you up for being so damned stupid.  Must be a bunch of haoles, couldn't be locals that would do this.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How much of an IDIOT do you have to be to build ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST ACTIVE VOLCANO ON THE PLANET?

Pele does NOT suffer fools and she is going to fuck you up for being so damned stupid.  Must be a bunch of haoles, couldn't be locals that would do this.

Dont worry, its probaly insured.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
The most ironic thing....

This is coming from a fellow Alaskan who is so far from "tropic paradise" it isnt even funny  ;)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF not your taxes (or an increase in them) will pay for their new homes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is coming from a fellow Alaskan who is so far from "tropic paradise" it isnt even funny  ;)

Ha!  I bet we are closer to Hawaii than you are.  A quick 3 hour plane trip away.

Hey, I bet you live on the Columbia River Basalt flats.  Wouldn't want to have been there when that was formed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There's a string of volcanos across the Cook Inlet from Anchorage.  No lava when they blow, but they rain volcanic ash (fine grit sand that gets into EVERTYHING) on us.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Airwolf, where you from? you kinda talk like a "local"
fyi to raven Maui has the biggest hole, the big island of Hawaii has the highest hole
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
ive visited that place, you can see where the lava just ran over everything, including a road, where you cacn drive right to the spot where the lava went over
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
and the best part is that when it erupts and takes billions of dollars of homes and businesses with it, the rest of the country will be footing the bill  with federal tax dollars - all because people realized whatever  financial risk there was would be mitigated by good old uncle sugar.

Federal disaster relief: Helping make stupid decisions lesson free for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If I dig up my notes from my old college classes, id probably remember what kind of volcano that was Raven :)

All kidding aside, Alaska has more islands formed from volcano's than any other place on earth.

Cant wait to move back up there ;)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I house sat for some friends about 2 years ago.

There house was on the mounain.  Beautiful place on the north side of the Big Island up in the hills.
If that volcano blows I guess they would be toast.  Plus all the big hotels north of Kona.   Lots of money went into those hotels, i guess they knew the risks.

Its kind of like playing in the street, you may get away with it for a while, but someday your going to get hit by a car.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
fyi to raven Maui has the biggest hole, the big island of Hawaii has the highest hole

I was BORN there (Honolulu - 1957.  It wasn't even a state yet ).  Dad was Navy.  Came to the Mainland shortly after but went back for a few years in the 60's and visited a number of times after (last time over was mid 90's).

I hurt so much seeing the paradise I remembered so fondly turned into just another "paved over L.A. with more palm trees" that I have no interest in returning.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IF not your taxes (or an increase in them) will pay for their new homes.

I got news for you pal. FEMA money is loans, not gifts.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was BORN there (Honolulu - 1957.  It wasn't even a state yet ).  Dad was Navy.  Came to the Mainland shortly after but went back for a few years in the 60's and visited a number of times after (last time over was mid 90's).

I hurt so much seeing the paradise I remembered so fondly turned into just another "paved over L.A. with more palm trees" that I have no interest in returning.

I here you! & I live on Maui. Besides Kali havin so dumb gun laws I alway look forward to trips to your neck of the woods(Holly, Disney, Knotts, Lego, Univer, ect.) If I did'nt have a house & family here who knows AZ.?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You and me both....the only island I can STAND anymore is the garden island....spent every april for almost 4 years there. And today, its starting to look alot like a tourist attraction..."Outbreak" and "Indiana Jones" sets....Sugar Cane factory sure changed too....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Ahhhhhhhhhh. Freaking hurricanes every few days. Tornadoes ravaged the countryside during May. Now volcanoes?

Folks, with the number and ferocity of natural disasters this year, I'll bet we have a pretty home insurance bill when it comes due again.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Mmmmm, as long as it spews forth all those yummy macadamia nuts, I'm Ok with it erupting.

BTW, don't build under a volcano, in a flood plane, on an island in hurricane territory, or on landfill in earthquake territory.  Just your friendly informational reminder.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I hiked up to the top of Mauna Loa in the late 70's.  There's a cabin 1/2 way up and one at the top. Stayed at both.  There was an outhouse at the top with no front door.  You sat there not far from the steaming sunken caldera and did your business.  Somewhere I have a picture taken through the crescent cut in the back of the outhouse showing the caldera.  It is pretty damn impressive looking down into areas where it looks like the bottom fell out for a few hundred feet.  Came down in a hailstorm, ...nowhere to hide.

This guy's account makes it seem harder than I remember but it was 25 years ago.

About 50 yards north of the cabin is an outhouse with what has been described as the greatest view in the world.  The outhouse straddles a narrow but deep crack at the edge of Moku'aweoweo.  When answering nature's call, there is a million buck view into the caldera and an eye-opening whoosh up one's tail if the wind is blowing just right.

www2.hawaii.edu/~turner/ohe/Aug98/mloa.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't know people from CA knew how to spell "haoles", or even know what the word means....
Goodonya Airwolf.

Maybe if Mauna Loa shakes and rumbles, makes noise and spits a bit, people will leave and the islands will return to there former beauty.  

Sheeple are like ants.   And there are too many.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Sheeple are like ants.   And there are too many.

Agreed....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top