Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:44:23 PM EDT
In the weeks before the ban, I got all kinds of stupid responses from local dealers. Most of it was because it was speculation. Everyone generally agreed they thought the ban would sunset and that LEO marked stuff would be okay but didn't know for sure.

So, I thought that given the letter on the FRONT PAGE OF THE ATF Website, that this would all be a thing of the past today.  So I go to buy a Colt 6920. One guy can order them, but tells me the ban won't end until tomorrow. I mention the ATF letter, and he says "yeah, that's what I thought too, but my distributor tells me that's wrong and won't give me pricing until tomorrow". So, I call around. I find a guy who has them in stock.  The guy who has them in stock has two of them but tells me the ban actually doesn't end until tomorrow so he won't sell it to me until tomorrow. I mention the ATF website and letter and this genius actually tells me "Yeah, for some reason the ATF posted incorrect information on it's website. The ban doesn't end until tomorrow". I incredulously ask him if he's serious, that he really believes what he just said. He becomes kind of tweaked at that point and is about to hang up. I ask him if he's taking a deposit and he says yeah, he can take a deposit and sell me one of the rifles tomorrow. Since I couldn't make it over there today anyway due to work I decide it's okay to give this guy my patronage and I give him my credit card for a deposit. As he's saying goodbye he tells me "If the ban ends up not sunsetting, I'll refund the deposit back to your credit card". h.gifedited: to correct a spelling mistake or two
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a good experience at one place I went to here, a class 3 dealer.  Took my upper reciever to him to have threaded, finally.  It was a lot busier in there than normal too, and the local news came out, and did an ultra short piece on it, didn't interview anyone, just mentioned the ban was gone and showed a couple scenes, and that was it.  I'll probably head to the other place and see what goes on there in a couple days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i hate people that begin believing there own bullshit just because its all they know or understand
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Wiating a few days here, I'll still have to deal with it I expect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, three local places lost my busisness when they refused to believe me that the ban had expired on Monday at 0001.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
AMAZINGLY, the store here actually knew it was gone.

This is the typical place that deals only in hunting firearms and a small selection of pistols.  I told the guy I'd be wanting some 13 round mags for my Glock 23 and asked him how much they would charge.  His response:  "Well we're hoping they'll be the same price as our 10 rounders but ya never know what will happen with the market as the demand for them goes up."

I almost had to congratulate him for not being his usual uninformed self.

I debated going to the other store where I stood and had a discussion with the owner about "another ban that was passed in '96 that outlawed high-cap mags".  He tried to tell me that the AWB didn't cover the manufacture of magazines and that the OTHER ban wasn't going to expire until 2006.  I have no idea how this guy managed to create his own non-existent law.  I would love to walk in and tell his dumb ass to check the ATF website.  He is so convinced he is right, he probably wouldn't believe it even then.  When we had the discussion, I couldn't help but wonder what he is gonna do when all the new pistols he orders start arriving with normal capacity mags...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Local paper did an article on the ban. The gun store owners had no clue, saying "We have never sold automatic weapons" and "If you can get 10 rounds on target the next 5 shouldn't matter..."

These are FFLs. Grrr...

The one really decent serious 2nd Ammendment FFL in the whole bloody place got recalled and is now in the sandbox. The rest of the cretins here are just ignorant beyond belief...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet there will be a few dealers swapping out the new high caps for the old 10 rounders they have in stock on new pistols they get in. May want to keep an eye out for that for the next few months. Of course, they'll always be willing to sell you the high caps for a higher price though.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I would never give any business to a gunshop that pulls the "no honest person needs more than 10 rounds" crap
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would never give any business to a gunshop that pulls the "no honest person needs more than 10 rounds" crap

+1

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The one really decent serious 2nd Ammendment FFL in the whole bloody place got recalled and is now in the sandbox. The rest of the cretins here are just ignorant beyond belief...

Yeah, I just found out a few weeks ago that he closed shop.  Was a good one at that.  The one in the farmers market is getting better, the one on Rt11.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I wished we had a spot on here to list recommended dealers in all 50 states as well as the ones to avoid. There is not one single gunshop around here I would buy from. One shop takes the extra mags out of the box and trys to sell them. Another wants 10% plus $50 to order a gun for you, the list goes on.

I love firearms but the dealers are pond scum, right next to pawn shops.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#12]
<---Has no worries, nearest dealer is Ohio Rapid Fire.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, three local places lost my busisness when they refused to believe me that the ban had expired on Monday at 0001.

Exactly what happened to me!!!! Hell I had just got off BATF site and went so I would the law..If I was in the gun dealing buisness I think I would have looked to???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wished we had a spot on here to list recommended dealers in all 50 states as well as the ones to avoid.

Maybe this is something that we could ask GB about tacking at the top of each of the states'
Hometown listings. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wished we had a spot on here to list recommended dealers in all 50 states as well as the ones to avoid. There is not one single gunshop around here I would buy from. One shop takes the extra mags out of the box and trys to sell them. Another wants 10% plus $50 to order a gun for you, the list goes on.

Its just you dude. They know how you are and have a story lined up just for you. I guess they dont want you in their store. Anyway what do you need a gun for? You just kill people with you fists because you are a real man and not a pussy, right?

This cracks me up. They tac on 10% and $50 just because its you. There is justice afterall.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its just you dude. They know how you are and have a story lined up just for you. I guess they dont want you in their store. Anyway what do you need a gun for? You just kill people with you fists because you are a real man and not a pussy, right?

This cracks me up. They tac on 10% and $50 just because its you. There is justice afterall.

76 you lil wimp, why aren't you in the pit yet? We are all waiting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what happened to me!!!! Hell I had just got off BATF site and went so I would the law..If I was in the gun dealing buisness I think I would have looked to???

One of my co-workers feed me that crap too after he heard about it from a (former SF right) FFL.  This guy also told him a transfer would cost $40 because of all the paper work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]

There is not one single gunshop around here I would buy from.

As someone that has been looking for almost two years for a Springfield mil-spec 1911 for a relative and hasn't seen one for less than $750 yet, I agree with you.  I will never pay almost 50% over MSRP for anything.  Also, I've seen working pump shotguns for sale in Atlanta for $125.  Excluding the big retailers like Wal-Mart which I won't buy from, around here I've never seen one, used or new, for less than MSRP plus then some.  $250 for a beat-up Mossberg that I can buy new for less from Wal-Mart is ridiculous.  Where are the shops that sell for less than MSRP and sell used guns at reasonable price?  They don't exist around here, so I've just stopped even going in the shops.z
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I was told on monday that Glock wasn't producing high cap magazines yet because they thought somone was going to "sneek in" a last minute ban
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Must be certain areas I guess.
Mine is the same way. Not one decent gun shop in the immediate area. Have to drive up to Denny's just to get a guy who has some idea what the hell he's talking about.

The shops in my area are filled with morons.
They don't seem to care if they are right, just as long as you buy their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Gun store commando's.  I love them.   What I find really humerous is when they don't have what I am looking for I'm always told to go get it at a gun show.  Now this is from the gun store.  Employees are telling me to go to a gun show to buy.  Brilliant people we deal with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top