Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:41:59 PM EDT
About an hour ago, I hear kids yelling outside, just thought some neighborhood kids playing around. Five minutes later there was this really loud, awful scream. I open my front door, in the front yard of a house three doors down, I see two kids crying(four of five years old), screaming and waving there arms in the air. I grab my Kimber and run over there and the kids were just crying hysterical, I look at the front door and the glass in it is broken. The kids could only say "mommy". I know that there are three kids that live in the house and I only see two. I peeked through a window and see a lady covered in blood laying on the living room floor. I grabbed the two kids and ran them over to my house, gave them to my wife and told her to call the police and an ambulance. One of the kids says Nathan, there brother is laying under his mother in the living room!  I run back to the house, take out my Kimber and carefully walk over to the mother. I can see two babies feet sticking out from under the mother and the feet are not moving. As I pulled the baby out, the baby starting crying. The mother had obvious gun shot wounds to the head.  I quickly checked the pulse on the mother, there was none. Then I high tailed it out of there with the other baby to my house. The police came, searched the house and did not find anyone, an ambulance came and took the children.

I knew this lady was separated from her husband, he would still come over and hang out with the kids, take them to the park, etc.. I've only lived here for two years and have talked to both the husband and wife in the past. He seemed like a real nice guy and she seemed like a real b!tch, always yelling at the husband AND kids, always running her mouth in the street, typical trash.

After talking with the police and neighbors, they say he was around the house all day today and he was seen walking out of the house and down the street a couple of minutes before the kids were screaming in the yard. Apparently they have closed off the two bridges near my house in hopes of catching him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes

Good reaction on your part.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
damn...hope they get him
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit.

Now some  people will say you shouldn't have gone in. But damn. SOMEONE needed to do something. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thanks for at least acting.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Prayers out to the family. Domestic Violence is so senseless and unnacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Good job getting those kids to safety!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit batman!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The cops are knocking again.......be back later.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
... It just breaks my heart to think of the trauma kids that aged have to suffer
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You done good, palmer.  Hope they catch the bastard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Horrible situation but you sound like a good neighbor to have. Prayers out for the children.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
you didnt hear a gun shot??

I feel so sorry for those kids to have to go threw that
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
holy shit, man. sorry you had to see that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy flirkin shnitz. Good reaction. Hope they catch the guy, if he did it. Which he probably did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Horrible situation but you sound like a good neighbor to have. Prayers out for the children.

++1

Wonder if she comitted suicide?  Since he was seen leaving before you heard a gunshot/kids screaming. *shrug*
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You done good, palmer.  Hope they catch the bastard.

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope they don't arrest you for something.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Well done. It has occurred to me that any human may from time to time be pressed into service as an angel. Clearly, you were.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most don't.  Unless it's a hand cannon, it's really pretty quiet from home to home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Way to stay cool and keep your head. You reacted well.

Poor kiddies though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn. So Sad for those poor kids. You probably saved the babies life. Good Job Man. The world needs more people to not be afraid to help those in need.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No I didn't, I had my A/C running, windows shut.

Yeah, it really sucks for the kids man.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Yikes - what a story! I'm glad you took charge of the situation and got the kids to safety and notified the authorities.  Hopefully they catch whomever did this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

++1

Wonder if she comitted suicide?  Since he was seen leaving before you heard a gunshot/kids screaming. *shrug*

Multiple head shots, can't be suicide.  If the kids were screaming in the house, I would not have heard them. He must have left the kids inside and when he left, they walked outside and started screaming.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Way to stay cool and keep your head. You reacted well.

Poor kiddies though.

yup
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+2
The rest couldn't be helped (crime scene, exposure to possible threat, etc etc).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]
That's absolutely horrible.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the children and family.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]
that is terrifying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn dude!! what a shame!! How were the Cops toward you and what you did?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#31]
tagged.........
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Damn dude!! what a shame!! How were the Cops toward you and what you did?

There were fine, I'm retired LEO. I just explained everything and showed my ID and CCW.

BTW, the body is still in the house. One of the detectives told me the baby has a fractured arm, I guess from mom falling on him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Stuff like that sux. Regardless of which parent did what or why they hated each other, the #1 priority was the kids. But this jackass had to go off the deep end and not only kill her, but mess up those kid's lives forever.

So often cases like this involve kids. You gotta wonder what people are thinking when they do this. Now the mom is dead and the dad is gone to prison. Now who's gonna care for the kids? Fucking idiots like that make me sick.

BTW, you did well. Most would have just have let whatever happened happen.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
That sucks..poor kids, now they lose both parents
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#35]
You did good. Real good. I'm glad that you took a chance. Most wouldn't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn. Just damn.

Those poor children.

You Sir, are an outstanding of a human being, a person and a gun owner.
I salute you!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
About an hour ago, I hear kids yelling outside, just thought some neighborhood kids playing around. Five minutes later there was this really loud, awful scream. I open my front door, in the front yard of a house three doors down, I see two kids crying(four of five years old), screaming and waving there arms in the air. I grab my Kimber and run over there and the kids were just crying hysterical, I look at the front door and the glass in it is broken. The kids could only say "mommy". I know that there are three kids that live in the house and I only see two. I peeked through a window and see a lady covered in blood laying on the living room floor. I grabbed the two kids and ran them over to my house, gave them to my wife and told her to call the police and an ambulance. One of the kids says Nathan, there brother is laying under his mother in the living room!  I run back to the house, take out my Kimber and carefully walk over to the mother. I can see two babies feet sticking out from under the mother and the feet are not moving. As I pulled the baby out, the baby starting crying. The mother had obvious gun shot wounds to the head.  I quickly checked the pulse on the mother, there was none. Then I high tailed it out of there with the other baby to my house. The police came, searched the house and did not find anyone, an ambulance came and took the children.

I knew this lady was separated from her husband, he would still come over and hang out with the kids, take them to the park, etc.. I've only lived here for two years and have talked to both the husband and wife in the past. He seemed like a real nice guy and she seemed like a real b!tch, always yelling at the husband AND kids, always running her mouth in the street, typical trash.

After talking with the police and neighbors, they say he was around the house all day today and he was seen walking out of the house and down the street a couple of minutes before the kids were screaming in the yard. Apparently they have closed off the two bridges near my house in hopes of catching him.

Geez man. That's a sucky thing to have to deal with. Good luck....

Well, if you are a retired LEO, then you have probably seen this sort of thing before.

This is why marriage and divorce are such problems in our country. People get married without real deep thought about who they are marrying, and they end up in situations like this. Of course, some people are just plain psycho and you don't find it out until after they are in your house...

Any case, I hope they catch the sucker and deliver serious justice.

Good job in going in to get those kids out. That was an extremely dangerous situation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#38]
the kids trrauma wount be that bad- they have their caring father to look after them now...oh wait...

glad he did not decide to "take the kids with him" - or their mom in this case.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Sad very sad.

Thank you palmer for doing what you did.  I hope the children will be allright from now on with good family.

Edited to say: Your quick action is life saving...Thank you.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Great job on getting the kids to safety. Can't imagine something like that happening, much less a couple of doors down. Hopefully the children have a close relative to care for them. Let us know how the investigation turns out, interesting to see if it was the ex or not........
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:26:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds to me like you need to move to a better neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Good job Palmer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#43]
You saved the babie's life.....good call.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#44]
damn......
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:40:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Awesome action on your part, and I'm glad the dude didn't shoot the kids too, which happens way too often.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh...damn!

That really sucks...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#48]
I hope the children can recover from this experience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Man that sounds horrible but you did the right thing.  I feel very sorry for those kids...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1

+2

Prayers sent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top