Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 8:32:33 PM EDT
Who came up with this bright idea?

Inmates Milk, Inject Spider Venom To Get High
Thursday, September 9, 2004

SYDNEY, Australia -- Inmates in an Australian prison have been caught breeding deadly redback spiders that they milked for venom to inject themselves for a high, according to government records.

Four spiders -- with venom that can kill children and the elderly with a single painful bite -- were found in Grafton maximum security prison in New South Wales state on Feb. 15, documents released Tuesday by state opposition lawmakers said.

Prison authorities suspect inmates found the spiders, which are common in Australia, in the prison nursery. They bred the spiders in jars, milked them of venom which they diluted with water before injecting, opposition Liberal Party justice spokesman Andrew Humpherson said.

"It just shows how comfortable they are -- actually accessing and in this case breeding their own source of venom; their own source of drugs," Humpherson told reporters, in an attack on the Labor-led state government's law and order policies.

The Liberals accessed the state prison records under freedom of information laws.

The records also showed that a 16-inch marijuana plant was found growing in another prison in February.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/archive/2004/09/09/spiderhigh.DTL

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That's certainly not reform.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
hell, give em cottonmouths, cobras & gila monsters

GO DARWIN!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
A liberal politician complaining about prison being too comfortable?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
have heard of homeless folk injecteing beer or liqour directly into bloodstream to get drunker cheaper...not sure about it though...just heard it
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Well people will do just about anything to get high if they really want to.  Huffing Paint, gas, diesel, carb cleaner, eating hotshot on sugar cubes, or trying just about anything they hear of.  

If someone wants to get messed up they will find a way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just OD them and blame it on the spiders.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
have heard of homeless folk injecteing beer or liqour directly into bloodstream to get drunker cheaper...not sure about it though...just heard it

the guys in Motley Crue would do that.  Pretty sick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
who givies a Fuk,,let them die......
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
and I thought toad licking was freaky
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

... diesel

[homer]... ummmm diesel [/homer]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Australian liberals are different to American liberals.  Vastly different.  The current government is Liberal and as you can see, we are part of the "War on Terror" and support the US.

The jail with the marijuana plant is Longbay prison, another max security prison.

And redbacks can kill healthy adults too...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ban all spiders !!!     It's for the children !

What the hell will they think of next, sheesh...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
A mans gotta do what a man's gotta do
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
"youve been milking my cat you sick son of a b*tch!".....or spider in this case
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
See what the Aussies have had to resort to since their gun bans went into effect?

Its a damned shame.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

One of those Jackass videos, I think Steve-O, did this.  He had an EMT start an alcohol IV.  Talk about dangerous and stupid.  I swear those guys do cocaine.  Watch the vids and you'll see why.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Would have been funny to see them try it with funnel webs...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Is mainlining diluted spider venom common among unincarcerated Australians, or do they just huff petrol like the losers here who can't get their hands on real drugs?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
and I thought toad licking was freaky

You read my mind. BTW, love the avatar!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Just so you guys would know what they look like...

They remind me a lot of our Black Widows.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I havent seen Black Widows latley, I had some recluses living at the house last year.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Uh, how does one "milk" a spider?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is mainlining diluted spider venom common among unincarcerated Australians, or do they just huff petrol like the losers here who can't get their hands on real drugs?

First time I heard of it.  Yeah people just huff petrol.  Damn losers.

You provoke it so it gets aggressive on you, some drops of venom should appear on its fangs, which you can collect.  Well thats how you milk funnel webs anyway....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]

a tiny bucket, stool and very small hands
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't know how they do it in prisons, but in labs they shock the venom glands and then the venom is collected from the fangs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:25:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Speaking of spiders...

I went outside and put on my sandals and there was a wolf spider or something.  Harmless so i left it alone.  

Had to move some bricks cos we are getting a renovation and while moving them, I realised I was walking through funnel web and other spider territory...and that moving the bricks could disturb one and bite me on the hand...

So I shrugged it off and kept working but I got lazy and stopped.

Note to self:  Do not work in sandals with dry leaves and shit everywhere
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw a documentary about Australia’s venomous creatures the other night. They have 1/3 of the world's venomous snake varieties there. The funnel web spider, red back, some other spider that can stay for prolonged periods under water (they had a dramatization of a little girl getting bit by one in her pool). The great barrier reef has just about every kind of venomous creature you can imagine. Even the freakin' platypus has venom!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I saw a documentary about Australia’s venomous creatures the other night. They have 1/3 of the world's venomous snake varieties there. The funnel web spider, red back, some other spider that can stay for prolonged periods under water (they had a dramatization of a little girl getting bit by one in her pool). The great barrier reef has just about every kind of venomous creature you can imagine. Even the freakin' platypus has venom!

Crocs dont have venom, thats why we wrestle them.

You need venom to survive as an animal here.  The terrain is too harsh to do without.  Makes for fun times for us humans when we get bit.

My friend and I were talking about snakes today.  In the local Reserve, theres heaps of snakes and we both knew people who were walking home and there was a friggin red belly black snake or a brown snake in their path.  My friend had a red belly black snake in her backyard once so they had to call some govt department to get it out.  I dont go in the Reserve much so I dont see the snakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top