Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:12 PM EDT
Mines been feeling like its fried for the last year or so. Anyone here had one done? How long is the re-coup period. TIA!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean rotator cuff?    I've heard it called both actually.

I have no idea how long recovery is, but it probably depends on the amount of damage and what tissue is involved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy Glaus (3rd baseman for the Anaheim Angels) had his done in June... He is back as of a few weeks ago.

gotta remember too that he uses his RC to the maximum capabilities.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Totally depends on how bad it's damaged.

Treatment can run from anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy, to arthroscopic surgery to clean up a tear, which leaves only small hole, to a full surgical repair involving pulling the cuff up and literally tacking it back into place.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]

I tore mine in a road racing accident back in '99

Crashed at aprox 140mph on the front straight at the Blackhawk Farms track. Fractured both my elbows so I really didn't know how bad my rotator cuff was for a month or two. Went to the doctor and here's the test  - - - Take the arm that feels bad. Hold that hand on that arm out in front of you like your holding a drink. Now, tip that hand back towards you like you're spilling your drink on your shirt or looking at your watch. Have your elbow level (at the same height) as your hand. NOW have someone (or yourself) prevent you from raising your arm. They don't really push down, but keep you from raising it any higher by putting preasure on your wrist. WHEN YOU DO THIS if you can feel a pretty decent pain/good amount of discomfort it's time to see the surgeon.

I had the surgery where they go into your arm through little holes and use a camera rather than cut your shoulder all the way open. They proper name for this procedure escapes me currently. BOTTOM LINE is this - 2 weeks of very limited movement followed by 2 or 3 months of therapy. At first it's 3 or 4 times a week and by the end it's usually once a week to make sure everything is moving properly and other muscles aren't compensating. By about 6 months you will be 100%! No more pain and back to full movement. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top