Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:27:03 PM EDT
I'm selling my Harley, and it just dawned on me (having never sold a vehicle before).  Am I going to have to pay (or collect?) sales tax on this thing?  I'm asking $7k, and at 6% that's $420!  That puts a serious damper in things.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
In VA the sales tax is collected when the new owner acquires their tags and registration.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, the burden of tax is placed upon the buyer, which is collected when they register the vehicle.

I am willing to bet it is the same in your state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
In GA there is no sales tax on private vehicle transactions.  In FL your mileage may vary.

** An after thought, call a local car dealer and ask them, they will know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#5]
In PA buyer pays when he transfers title. They also bring out the blue book and if you claim the vehicle was sold for significantly less than blue book they make you fill out and sign a form stating why. "Because paying sales tax on something that already had sales tax charged on it is fucking criminal" is not a valid reason.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In PA buyer pays when he transfers title. They also bring out the blue book and if you claim the vehicle was sold for significantly less than blue book they make you fill out and sign a form stating why. "Because paying sales tax on something that already had sales tax charged on it is fucking criminal" is not a valid reason.

Yeah think of cars that are sold 5 times the gubberment is bringing in some serious cash.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I was audited for tax paid on a p2p vehicle sale.  DMV thought the set of wheels was worth $6000, I paid $2000.  They sent me a demand to either pony up proof that I bought the vehicle for $2k, or cough up 6% of $4000.  Now, I got the car pretty cheap, but it wasn't worth over $4k.  I sent them a signed letter from the seller, which seemed to shut them up.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In my experience, the burden of tax is placed upon the buyer, which is collected when they register the vehicle.

I am willing to bet it is the same in your state.

It is... I have sold many vehicles to private parties.  If the guy you're selling it too seems OK, then list the price on the title lower than what he paid.  The buyer only pays taxes on the value written in the selling portion of the title.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe nobody has complained about the tax issue. The GOV is screwing us hard and nobody seems to care. The friggin bike was taxed when it was sold as new and that should be the end of the tax but oh no they want more.
We are a bunch of pussies to let the gov run over us like that. So go on watch that big screen TV while sipping on the over taxed beer and cruising in the SUV that uses tons of gas (mostly taxed) while our fine gov makes up more tax laws.

To your question the buyer will pay the illegal tax when he/she gets plates unless your a car salesperson.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has complained about the tax issue. The GOV is screwing us hard and nobody seems to care. The friggin bike was taxed when it was sold as new and that should be the end of the tax but oh no they want more.
We are a bunch of pussies to let the gov run over us like that. So go on watch that big screen TV while sipping on the over taxed beer and cruising in the SUV that uses tons of gas (mostly taxed) while our fine gov makes up more tax laws.

To your question the buyer will pay the illegal tax when he/she gets plates unless your a car salesperson.

Ummmm... scroll up 4 posts from your original.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Buyer pays or doesn't pay tax based on his own state's rules...

So if I buy a bike in IL, I pay WI state tax...

We don't do the blue book thing here, as I bought a bike for $65 (inoperative), put it on the form as 65 once I got it running, and no one cared...

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Buyer pays  on registration here in CA with a few exceptions on sales between family members.  And the list of family members has expanded slightly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is... I have sold many vehicles to private parties.  If the guy you're selling it too seems OK, then list the price on the title lower than what he paid.  The buyer only pays taxes on the value written in the selling portion of the title.

I'd be careful about this.  In some states this is a felony.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes in FL the buyer pays the tax when he goes to get tags for the bike,  but a common practice in FL is to write in $1 in the sale ammount so he doesnt have to pay the big tax
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yes in FL the buyer pays the tax when he goes to get tags for the bike,  but a common practice in FL is to write in $1 in the sale ammount so he doesnt have to pay the big tax

That used to work (30years ago), but they're more stringent these days.

"For vehicles purchased from a private person the 6% sales tax is based on the book value (NADA for vehicles seven years old or newer) or the purchase price, whichever is higher.   When the vehicle is more than seven years old, the bill of sale price is used to calculate sales tax.   If no bill of sale is shown, then book value will be used"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys, in retrospect that makes more sense.

Second question; how do I sign over the title?  I do hold the title on the bike (as opposed to a bank).  I am listed as the registered owner, with Harley Credit listed as the 1st lienholder (and they have since been paid off).  At the bottom I see a place for signature and printed name of seller, is this me?  I kind of would have thought that part would be the original HD dealer.

Also, shouldn't these signatures be notarized?  I don't see a place for that either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You should have gotten a "lien release" or something like that, when you paid the loan off

Hmmm, I think I did.  I'll have to look for that.  Good point.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
lots of guys never bother to file the lien release and get a new title without the lien on it,

I guess this is something I should do with my DMV?

God I hope not, being in an urban area makes trips to the DMV worse than going to the dentist to have an enema.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top