Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 4:51:07 PM EDT
What do u guys think Tactical thigh holster? Or On the belt?

Edited to add-  I might either use XD-9 15 Rds,USP .45 Fullsize,or 1911 Fullsize .45
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
kydex belt holster
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yikes! Double-post!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on where you're camping, what kind of camping you're doing and what the weather's like. How's that for a vague answer ? I tend to camp in the boonies (off-road, a little backpacking) in a reasonably gun-friendly state. Since there will certainly be "trou-droppage" over the course of the days I'm out, I tend to go with paddle holsters or, if I'm bundled for winter, shoulder rigs (the only time I'll use a shoulder rig, really).  If it's just a day trip, any belt holster will do.

Since we're being all warm and fuzzy for the two trillion site guests, lets say that I don't carry concealed on those rare times I'm in a national park....

And, regardless of what style of holster, I always go with a safety-strap. Last thing you need is to realize you dropped your pistol somewhere in the 20 square miles of forest you've been stomping, climbing and falling over!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Fobus paddle or a plain jane Uncle Mike's Sidekick cordura.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
bumped
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
belt
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
as silly as the Tac thigh holster will look while camping, it will make impossible any charges of 'unlawful concealed carry'.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
kydex belt holster

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
thigh, it wont interfere with the backpack, if your using a hip belt
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If your concerned about not freaking out the sheeple, or if you need some protection for your piece (ie: if you're rock scrambling or whatnot) check out the Safepacker by Wilderness.  Dillon carries 'em for most common pistolas, and Wilderness will make you a custom as well.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=8&min=0&dyn=1&

As I heard it, the guy that started Wilderness was into SAR and wanted to be armed without drawing a lot of attention to the fact.  These things are quite low key, provide very fast access, have absolutely secure belt mounting (can also be strapped on a canoe thwart or something similar) and provide excellent protection for your pistol.  

After buying one from Dillon for my Sig 228 I had Wilderness make me a custom unit for my 629-2 Mountain Revolver round butt, fits it like a glove.  I use that setup for mountain biking in remote areas where there's a risk of bear, big cats, and 2 legged coyotes.  Very comforting to have, and if I crash on it neither the pistol or I will be worse for the wear.

The autoloader models carry one spare magazine in addition to the pistol, the revolver models accomodate 2-3 speedloaders in addition to the pistol.

-Eric
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
6004 -  open carry....fuck em, its legal ;)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Around camp, definitely go with a belt holster.  You wont look like a nut to non-gunny passerbys.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If your concerned about not freaking out the sheeple, or if you need some protection for your piece (ie: if you're rock scrambling or whatnot) check out the Safepacker by Wilderness.  Dillon carries 'em for most common pistolas, and Wilderness will make you a custom as well.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=8&min=0&dyn=1&

As I heard it, the guy that started Wilderness was into SAR and wanted to be armed without drawing a lot of attention to the fact.  These things are quite low key, provide very fast access, have absolutely secure belt mounting (can also be strapped on a canoe thwart or something similar) and provide excellent protection for your pistol.  

After buying one from Dillon for my Sig 228 I had Wilderness make me a custom unit for my 629-2 Mountain Revolver round butt, fits it like a glove.  I use that setup for mountain biking in remote areas where there's a risk of bear, big cats, and 2 legged coyotes.  Very comforting to have, and if I crash on it neither the pistol or I will be worse for the wear.

The autoloader models carry one spare magazine in addition to the pistol, the revolver models accomodate 2-3 speedloaders in addition to the pistol.

-Eric

Considered concealed in cali =/
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thigh holsters are nice for urban stuff where you aren't moving very far. They will wear a hole in your leg if you are trekking with one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thigh holsters are nice for urban stuff where you aren't moving very far. They will wear a hole in your leg if you are trekking with one.

Ahhh..yeahh i think were gopnna do quite alot of hiking
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Belt holster unless you will be back packing.....my rucksack straps get in the way all the time....but I can toss my carry weapon in a side pocket on the bag if im on the move.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I use one of the Wilderness Safepackers attached to my waistbelt on my pack. Holds my Glock 17 and an extra mag. Protects the gun, allows for a pretty speedy draw and doesn't draw attention because no one expects it to hold a handgun.

thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/18?osCsid=8babc6ba832222735ee27f8967d618ca
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Go for the belt carry w/1911. I just spent a week in the Sierra's at a campground and carried my 1911 all day and night in plain view (brought my XD and thigh holster also, but never took them out). For some reason I felt like I would be a poser if I wore the thigh holster.

I got a few looks from people in the campground from time to time, but no one ever said anything derogatory. I did get one "what the heck?" from a little kid.

We had a big-time bear problem where I went. The bear got a little unpredictable and even slightly aggressive at one point. Another camper commented to me the next day, "I'm glad you had a gun." This comment caught me off guard 'cause many of the folks that come to this particular campground are from the Bay area...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
tactical drop thigh holster, well lets just say it screams POSER, unless you are doing something where it makes sense and I can't think of any in camp.  Backpacking, well it gets things away from your belt area where your belly band is, but as noted it is probably going to chafe a lot.  With a daypack the drop would make sense.  High belt holster is better most of the time.  What I have done is strap a holster on a daypack  for an over the left shoulder cross-draw or an off the back cross-draw.  On my big backpack, the  holster got strapped, again, over the left shoulder between the pack and sleeping bad stuff sack.    Out of the way, not real visible, but easily reachable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Disagree.....carried a 6004 on a 14 mile hike....no complaints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top