Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 4:15:21 PM EDT
Just for a change from all the AWB sunset threads, I thought I'd start a malicious 7.62 vs. 5.56 thread
to end the Love fest and get everyone fighting again.

To start, I've never seen anything but G-3's in use by the Norwegians,  though I've read on the
internet  they also have G-36's.  The few times I've seen soldiers on maneuvers in or near  
metropolitan areas in their home country, they've always had the G-3.  I'm assuming they
practice like they would deploy.

And though Sweden has the FNC in 5.56, they actually prefer the G-3 for Urban Comabat due
to it's better penetration of structures, according to this  website I stumbled across today.

www.wendel.se/rswa/stdssk.htm

Though great in endless tracts of Evergreen wilderness, I think the G-3 is a strange "preferred"
choice for Urban combat, anyone else?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I could see it for urban combat but for CQB like clearing a building I would much rather have an M-4.

Just my .02

AKASL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think that a military force would be plenty justified in preferring a round that penetrates walls...but law enforcment and civilians don't have that pleasure.  We have to worry what is on the other side of them.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Could those be Swedish Home Guard troops, practiging securing urban areas (since Home Guard are local units)?

IIRC the Home Guard still are issued G-3, whereas regular army are issued FNs
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Also - a G3/HK91 is not very long for a .308.  It's actually shorter than an M16A2.  I'd still prefer one of my M4s but a G3 would get it done through walls and such.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Could those be Swedish Home Guard troops, practiging securing urban areas (since Home Guard are local units)?

IIRC the Home Guard still are issued G-3, whereas regular army are issued FNs

The pics are regular Army, and the website link below the pics mentions the G-3 and M-240 as the arms issued to Urban Combat Units

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top