Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2004 3:54:59 PM EDT
the cops are at the very bottom of of the job fatality rate.  they are one of the safest groups in the workplace.  my job is twice as likely as cops to experience a fatality, and has 4 times the number of job fatalities.

please give the whining a break, suck-it-up boys.

read the stats for yourself
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
shhh...everyone knows facts are offensive!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Could we please give the "Cop Bashing" threads a rest?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My profession involves the possibilty of dying on each and every jump.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My profession involves the possibilty of dying on each and every jump.

No it doesn't... it involves the posibility of dying on each and every LANDING!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I was an active-duty Police Officer.

The job was very dangerous.

Deaths were rare because we were careful and well-trained in our jobs.

That's the facts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And yet I can think of a half dozen officers known personally to me who died on the job.

I cannot think of another single person I know who died as a result of a job related fatality.

In 12 years I have seen 4 people killed in three seperate accidents at work. (aircraft mechanics)
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I know a few people who are missing Fathers , sons and brothers from the military. And some died while on training.

That is a job they chose, and I understand it is very dangerous at times, but that is the life they took.

P.S. Paratroopers are good to the last drop......
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the cops are at the very bottom of of the job fatality rate.  they are one of the safest groups in the workplace.  my job is twice as likely as cops to experience a fatality, and has 4 times the number of job fatalities.

As a LEO, I've never argued that police work is THE most dangerous out there, although it has its' inherent dangers.
The real danger in LE, as any police veteran will tell you, are the MENTAL dangers.
Cops deal with the common aggravations of any job, and on top of that theres the backbiting, politics within the dept, the hours, the constant adrenlin dumps, the very real possibility of lawsuits, departments not backing their officers....I could go on, but if I haven't made  my point by now I won't.
I know many a cop with stress induced health problems, we rank real high in divorce, alchoholism, premature cynicism, the list goes on.
The problem is, by the time a lot of this catches up with an officer, he's got too much time invested in his department to quit.
I hope I don't come across as some kind of whiner by pointing some of this out, I'm responsible for the gig I chose.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was an active-duty Police Officer.

The job was very dangerous.

Deaths were rare because we were careful and well-trained in our jobs.

That's the facts.

I used to work gathering work-related stats for the Los Angeles County, being in the LE is was relatively safe, of the people working in the safety series jobs, the fireman at that time was the most dangerous because you breathe all of those fumes and gases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Could we please give the "Cop Bashing" threads a rest?

Why ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
sigh.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a LEO, I've never argued that police work is THE most dangerous out there, although it has its' inherent dangers.
The real danger in LE, as any police veteran will tell you, are the MENTAL dangers.
Cops deal with the common aggravations of any job, and on top of that theres the backbiting, politics within the dept, the hours, the constant adrenlin dumps, the very real possibility of lawsuits, departments not backing their officers....I could go on, but if I haven't made  my point by now I won't.
I know many a cop with stress induced health problems, we rank real high in divorce, alchoholism, premature cynicism, the list goes on.
The problem is, by the time a lot of this catches up with an officer, he's got too much time invested in his department to quit.
I hope I don't come across as some kind of whiner by pointing some of this out, I'm responsible for the gig I chose.

Something else I'd like to add;  unless I read it wrong, those stats are sheer numbers rather than a proportional balance of various jobs.  Theres obviously a hell of a lot more truck drivers, construction workers and farmers in this country than there are cops, and a lot of those injurys are accidents rather than criminal assaults.
Another thing, I don't mean to demean any police force in the country, BUT there is a stratification for the danger factor in police work.  Common sense says that a cop working in a rich suburb or small rural town faces less dangers on a daily basis than a cop working in the center of a ghetto in a major city.
Again, the Mental dangers of LE dwarf  the Pysical dangers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My job is twice as likely as cops to experience a fatality, and has 4 times the number of job fatalities

Sounds like you are bragging.

"Yup,  that deep fat fryer can be a real widowmaker.  The chicken breading machine can be a mankiller too"
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Riding around in a car sticking your nose in other peoples business and taking money from people all day could probably get very dangerous, at times.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#23]

I hope I don't come across as some kind of whiner by pointing some of this out,

No you don't.  I've know quite a few guys before they became cops and afterwards.  In every single case, they became complete jerks and eventually gave-up all of their friends that weren't cops.  The job did terrible things to them!  Getting killed isn't the only danger.z
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I hope I don't come across as some kind of whiner by pointing some of this out,

No you don't.  I've know quite a few guys before they became cops and afterwards.  In every single case, they became complete jerks and eventually gave-up all of their friends that weren't cops.  The job did terrible things to them!  Getting killed isn't the only danger.z

Cops giving up their non-police friends is the worst thing that they can do!
When I was a cop in Decatur IL I kept my non-police friends, and they kept me sane and grounded.

When I moved to the sun belt and joined the Dallas TX PD I knew no one except my academy classmates, then only other officers.  It took me a long time to meet friends outside of the job, and until I did I felt smothered in the job.
Cops that only have cop friends eventually become devoured by the beast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Male Pilot here who volunteers for the police! Planerench out.

BTW, I had an epiphany years ago, I will not die in a plane but in a freak bathing accident.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Riding around in a car sticking your nose in other peoples business and taking money from people all day could probably get very dangerous, at times.

This comment shows your ignorance of the subject.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I do not think there is any comparison between a cop who is feloniously murdered, Vs a logger or farmer who is killed by his own careless actions.

Exclude occupational accidents from your statistics. The most dangerous jobs will be military, LE, taxi driver, and night shift store clerk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
How odd it is that on a day like this some oddball wants to boast about jobs.  Can we forget this stuff and talk about where we can get the best deals on new mags?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
And yet I can think of a half dozen officers known personally to me who died on the job.

That is very tragic Styer, but can you answer this: How the fuck are you still posting????
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure this is do to the media with the end of the assault weapon ban.  In my opinion my job is no more dangerous today as it was when the ban was in effect.  As a public safety proffesional wether police, fire, or EMS I know a line of duty death is going to be a major news story.  THis doesn't mean my job is any more or less dangerous then any one elses just more reported on.  I am glad to see that the assault weapons ban reached it's sunset without being reauthorized as do most LEO's on this board.  In fact most officers on my department are glad to see it gone, as with any segment of society there are those who are not and our administration has their own views.  I wish the LEO bashing would stop but I know it won't.  

Have a good night.
Travis
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is more hazardous in police work, assaults of motor vehicle accidents?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]

I hate pork products. I've heard of more rent-a-cops getting killed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wow, Trucking, Construction, and Farming are quite dangerous.

Side note: The military numbers are obviously peace time ratings.

Actually, I don't  know about this time around, but in the first Gulf War the overall fatality rate was actually less during the war.  Apparently, there were so many fewer DUI/alcohol related accident(due to the countries they were in) that they "madeup" for the combat deaths.  Just a random thing I remember seeing somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is more hazardous in police work, assaults of motor vehicle accidents?

Jeepster,

Here is a list of  line of duty deaths.  Officer Down Memorial Page  It looks like gunfire is topping the list thus far this year.

Henny
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is very tragic Styer, but can you answer this: How the fuck are you still posting???? hr

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I hate pork products. I've heard of more rent-a-cops getting killed.

WTF???
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#42]
60 percent of LEOs die in accidents (mostly auto) NOT homicide.  56 LEOS died in homicides

178 people in sales occupations (mostly convenience stores, quickie marts, liquor stores) died in homicides.

AR15fan, I do not see the point in eliminating accidental deaths in one's consideration of danger.  You presume that farmers and loggers are killed by their own "careless actions."  Nothing could be futher from the truth.  Many accidents are unavoidable, or are in fact, caused by the negligence of co-workers or strangers.   For example, most farm workers die in highway accidents (as do truckers, obviously).   They may have been killed by drunk drivers, or by careless drivers who sideswiped them (happens to a lot of highway workers) as they stood roadside selling ears of corn at a farm stand.

Hey, after all, somebody has to perform these functions in our society.  Minimizing the danger involved just because they didn't get murdered isn't constructive or respectful.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Bingo!  We have a winner.

I didn't look at the list yet, but where does convenience store clerk rate on the list?  Man, talk about dangerous--here are people disarmed by company policy sitting ducks for any hoodlums who may wander by looking for a quick score.  I'd rather be a commercial fisherman!  

Want to reduce the physical dangers of police work about 90%?  End drug prohibition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Do you have people follow you home, put contracts on your life, harass your family, etc? Do people go out of their way to kill you simply because of your job? No? Then I suggest that it is YOU who needs to give it a rest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have people follow you home, put contracts on your life, harass your family, etc? Do people go out of their way to kill you simply because of your job? No? Then I suggest that it is YOU who needs to give it a rest.

tcd1236, If your attitude on the streets is anything close to what it is on this board, it wouldn't surprise me that these things are happening to you. I'd be surprised if they wern't.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#47]

I worked with a TV reporter that was doing a story on a company that did mock aerial combat.  The company was going to demonstrate what it felt like so they took her and a producer up in a pair of old Italian trainers rigged with video. The pilot my friend was with was a bit of a hot dog..he tried to do a loop and he crashed the both of them into the riverbed...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#48]
It goes along with the job, if you are not willing to do this, find another line of work.

akethan
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tcd1236, If your attitude on the streets is anything close to what it is on this board, it wouldn't surprise me that these things are happening to you. I'd be surprised if they wern't.

Roy

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Roy

Attitude? I don't have an attitude on this board. If anything, I am quite civil with you people.If you read more into my posts than simple informational posting,its you with the issue. And you fail to address my point that those things happen to officers, while they do NOT happen to people in other career fields.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top