Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 2:40:28 PM EDT
Ok this is the 2nd time this has happen to me. Go out to a nice dinner, eat, and pay for dinner with my Bank check card(visa). Leave a Cash tip. Get home, check bank statment on internet, and the server has added a 20% tip to my Card on top of the cash tip I left. I am so sick and tried of that happening(yea two times, but two is still to much). Yeah I know I will get flamed for using my bank card, but that isn't the issue. They shouldn't be giving themselfs tips! Blah, 1st time got it taken care of, this time talk to manger and he is going to call me back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple to solve. Fill the space that says, "tip amount," with the word, "On Table."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I learned the hard way too. ALWAYS mark thru the tip line, put tip on table, straight slashing line, anything so they can not add something there. At least you got your money back, I never did.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a big line in tip part, learn that long ago. 1st time was a G-man girl in hershey pa, this time Ground Round, Greensburg PA
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The govt should pass a law saying that you can't automatically add the tip to the bill, maybe an extra service charge for large groups, but not a tip. That is real BS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Should be a criminal offense whether you wrote something on the tip line or not......

I always write "CASH" on the line.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The govt should pass a law saying that you can't automatically add the tip to the bill, maybe an extra service charge for large groups, but not a tip. That is real BS.

They are not adding tips, they are STEALING.

Some clown pulled this on me (changed a $4 tip to $8, on a $12 charge) at the Adam's Mark Hotel In Denver they fired him on the spot, right in front of me when questioned about it. Security walked him out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I always try and leave cash on the table.

When I get the CC slip I put a BIG FAT "0" with a slash through it on the "tip" line.  NFW are they going to be able to write ANYTHING in after the fact.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]

You've been robbed, buddy.  Time to call the Po Po!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I am giving them to tomarrmo, and will be requeting a free meal and job of server. Problem for me is its 3 hour drive from my house, so I can't just walk in and have it taken care of. Next time I will be up there is the 22nd of this month for my g/fs b-day. She is going to school near there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Just one more example that illustrates why restaurant owners need to start paying their staff a fair wage and put an end to the obnoxious practice of tipping.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
You can't contest the charges with your credit card company? You should be able to if you filled out your receipt and still have it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You can't contest the charges with your credit card company? You should be able to if you filled out your receipt and still have it.

Yes, in addition to calling the restaurant, you can contest the charge with the credit card company.

This isn't someone just giving themself a tip. It's credit card fraud, and a criminal offense. You can make a written report with the PD if you choose, after a phone call to them. You may or may not be treated as reporting the crime of the century, but it's still an offense and if you stick to it they will take the report.

By the way, I suppose everyone knows about servers in many restaurants using your credit card number for a little off-duty shopping? That's also identity theft, and another offense.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top