Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 11:43:13 AM EDT
I never understood why this part of clinton's "crime bill" had an expiration date. Don't laws normally stay as law until they are overturned by a court?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how did it happen that this law was only to be in effect for 10 years unles renewed? Was this the only way the anti freedom bastards could get it passed? I don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Was this the only way the anti freedom bastards could get it passed?

BINGO!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, that was a compromise on their part to get it passed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#3]
had a sunset clause. thank god.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Christ man do we really need another AWB topis here.  Your question is in dozens of other threads here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it there were not enough votes to pass a permenent ban back in 1994. The Dems had to add a sunset date to get enough votes for the ban.

2 years later, the House changed hands! Bill Clinton even acknowledged that the AWB was the reason!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you know the Patriot Act has sunset clauses in it?  And they're about to take effect next month?

So much for the Chimpler police state, huh?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did you know the Patriot Act has sunset clauses in it?  And they're about to take effect next month?

So much for the Chimpler police state, huh?

Fortunately, that law will not be allowed to die...

The 'police state' stuff is BS, anyhow...

They also put a sunset date in the tax-cuts, which needs to be removed...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Christ man do we really need another AWB topis here.

Yes
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If you think about it, you have to laugh because we got them coming and going.  Yeah, the antis got a bill passed, but it sure as hell didn't prevent me from buying pretty much any gun I wanted these past ten years.  The expiration clause is now just pure insult to injury since now everyone can afford to buy the guns they want.  

In two weeks, the media event will be long forgotten and we will be enjoying ourselves without that albatross that Clinton jammed through the system.  And then all we have to do is make sure the bastards don't pass another one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Was this the only way the anti freedom bastards could get it passed?

BINGO!

They were trying everything.  It came to a vote..and didn't pass.  I watched it live.  Then there was much attempted dealmaking.  One proposed deal by the liberals was to remove the Colt AR-15 from the list, so it would be legal...maybe that would be enough to swing a couple of votes?  It didn't work with that clause.

The next day, Speaker Foley brought it back up for a vote...and it barely passed with the people they got to change their vote.

I mourned...and I just stopped mourning today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christ man do we really need another AWB topis here.

Yes

Timmay!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top