Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 7:52:02 AM EDT
"Anyone who illegally possessed, manufactured, or transferred semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices before the bans sunset still have violated the law since their possession, manufacture, or transfer was illegal at the time."

Does this mean if one had a post baned AR15 during the ban, then after the bans sunset  install a flash hider, tele. stock, etc. the rifle becomes a preban status rifle but was purchaced during the ban?

Do they want one to buy a new reciever made after 09/13/04 to be legal if it has all it's features?

Some what confusing and leaves interpertation conflict.

www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-factsheet.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone that mated a pre-ban upper with a post-ban lower prior to the sunset broke the law.  Anyone who used post-ban "hi-cap/LE only" magazines in a post-ban firearm prior to the sunset broke the law.  

After the sunset you can do whatever you want.  

They are just saying that if you didn't wait until the sunset, it was illegal.  If it can be proven, you can still be charged.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You're both wrong.

That's all I'll say...it's been explained a million times. I'm tired.

The AWB never existed. Remember that, and from now on, you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone that mated a pre-ban upper with a post-ban lower prior to the sunset broke the law.  Anyone who used pre-ban magazines in a post-ban firearm prior to the sunset broke the law.  

After the sunset you can do whatever you want.  

They are just saying that if you didn't wait until the sunset, it was illegal.  If it can be proven, you can still be charged.  

*sigh...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
What they are saying is that if you put the evil features on a rifle before the ban ended, you are still in violation of the law, because you did it at the time the law was still valid.

Just make sure you can prove that you built or modified your weapon after midnight last night.

I can't see this as being an issue.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're both wrong.

That's all I'll say...it's been explained a million times. I'm tired.

The AWB never existed. Remember that, and from now on, you'll be OK.

Maybe reality, but until challenged in court, the ATF says...

Anyone who illegally possessed, manufactured, or transferred semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices before the bans sunset still have violated the law since their possession, manufacture, or transfer was illegal at the time.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone who used pre-ban "hi-cap" magazines in a post-ban firearm prior to the sunset broke the law.  

dear...god.....you have got to be kidding me!!!! people on this board are that freaking uninformed!?!??!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What they are saying is that if you put the evil features on a rifle before the ban ended, you are still in violation of the law, because you did it at the time the law was still valid.

Just make sure you can prove that you built or modified your weapon after midnight last night.

You don't have to prove you didn't until they prove you did.  I don't think anyone, even a democrat, will call them up and turn themselves in because they joined a preban upper to a post ban lower.

I can't believe anyone would be that stupid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top