Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 7:36:15 AM EDT
First of all.  Even though I totally disagree with them, most of the country is either opposed to the sunset of the ban or completely indifferent about it.  I believe they are uninformed due to the media not giving TRUE crime statistics before and after the ban.  

It seems as though the AWB has taken the CBS document forgery story right off of the front page.  Here we have a major media station forging documents to smear the incumbent president and to try to influence a national election and that has quickly taken a back seat.

Unfortunately, most of the country doesn't see this as a restoration of our Constitutional rights.  THey see it as the President not supporting a measure he said he would support.  Now Kerry, preying on a country in the middle ofa War on Terror, is using the terrorist angle to even further misinform the public.  

Except within our own circle, I don't see how this helps GWB
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Gun Control helped the dems in '98 and AlGore in 2000. into early retirement
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Big time helps Kerry.

Who in their right mind wants fully automatic AK-47, UZI's and TEC-9's in the hands of gang bangers, terrorist, and our children. Now that the ban has lifted terrorist can walk into any gun store as ask for an AK-47 and their only going to hear one word "sure". The ban had limited clips to 10 rounds and now that it wasn't extened by W you can get five times that amount.

(pretty much how the argument is running on CNN now)

I concur... Now the libs can say "Bush wants kids/inner city youths/old people to die" because he didn't pressure anyone to renew the AWB.

I hate political rhetoric...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be all but forgotten next week, when the Bush crashed 6 planes ANG memos come out.

And when the swiftboatvetsfortruth come out with whatever bombshell they are supposed to release in October.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#5]
CNN stated that as far as issues concerning the election, guns was second from last in the list for voters.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
i think it'll be a hot botton. i also think that if kerrystien wins in nov, we'll be wishing the AWB got extended because there will be a new one that will be Kali style.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#7]
please. this isn't even a semi-important issue to the vast majority of Americans.  there is alot of talk on the cable news networks now b/c it just expired and it's a slow news day. 2 days from now it will be long forgotten.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
please. this isn't even a semi-important issue to the vast majority of Americans.  there is alot of talk on the cable news networks now b/c it just expired and it's a slow news day. 2 days from now it will be long forgotten.

Exactly...this will back down at the bottom of the most important issue list with the environment at the time of the election...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have heard at least two local radio sources saying that the Brady Bill has expired today.

The press is so stupid.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i think it'll be a hot botton. i also think that if kerrystien wins in nov, we'll be wishing the AWB got extended because there will be a new one that will be Kali style.

Damn straight, I have mixed feelings about it too.  At least while it was there we didn't a hornets nest of screaming soccer moms going insane over it.  The next ban they try to pass will not be friendly and soccer mommies love to support any bans cause guns are icky and overly 'man things'.  

I think the attention will die down quickly though.  After all this country has the collective attention span o... hey did I just see something shinny!

Then the other part of me says that it's awesome we turned around such a piece of crap law, that almost never happens.  So anyway... I JUST WANT MY DAMN BARREL TO GET HERE!!!!!!   I HATE WAITING.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, they will go back to evil SUV's killing soccermoms in minivans, global warming caused by Dick Cheney and Halliburton, and other such issues.  Pay no attention to the man behind he curtain.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

There have been 2 major incidents in Detroit this year involving Banned Assault Weapons:

1. In March, two days before the S1805 vote, a drug dealer and convicted felon shot up a crack house with an AK-47, killing 3 people and wounding one. The killer fled to Minnesota and was arrested about a week later. No one flinched.

2. The weekend before last some guy left a bar, and came back with an AK-47 that he had in his trunk. He killed a Detroit Police Cadet, and wounded another person. Again, zero movement.

ETA - The issues for this election have been decided already:

- Loss of jobs to forgein markets
- War on Terror
- Tax cuts
- Socialized medicine
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I think if it was going to be a hot topic, it would have been already.

If they make too much of a stink now, W can always ask, "Tell me.... If you're SO in favor of it, why did you wait for it to expire before raising hell? Politics? Are YOU playing politics with the safety of the American people, Senator?"

Throw it right back at them!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#14]
... Ask Al Gore
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is why it DOESN'T help Kerry...

Among gunowners, this is a big deal and the gunowners who care about this bill are active and vote.

Last night, I watched an ABC news discussion of the ban. They noted that among likely voters, the issue of gun control was ranked second to last in terms of importance. The people who support the ban are not very passionate about it and they really don't care about it, especially when they get informed and find out that the ban was mostly symbolic to begin with...

This is why the Dems keep stepping on their dick on gun control. They poll and find out that there is widespread support for it; but they never poll deeper to realize that the support is very soft and evaporates as soon as you actually explain the issue in something deeper than a 30-second slanted soundbite. So they push for more gun control; but supporters of gun control really don't care about it much and it ranks low on issues of importance for most of them.

The tiny fringe that makes up Brady, VPC etc. is just that... tiny. All the gun control groups in the U.S. combined are still barely the size of GOA - and that is being generous.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Frankly, the average person could give a shit about the AWB. It's sunset will be quickly forgotten, and will not be much of a campaign issue.

Remember '94; the politicians will. I lived in Houston at the time and EVERY Democrat incumbent was defeated, regardless of their involvement with the AWB. Democrats in Texas were jumping over to become Republicans in big numbers.

THAT'S what I call the People speaking.

Do you really think the politicians will stick their head in THAT noose again? I don't.

Ban dead. Forever.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually, on a CNN short piece on the AWB dying the reporter commented that when Americans were polled on important issues this year, gun control came in 2nd to LAST.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
No, it doesn't help Kerry. the AWB is popular with the Democratic base, but most of them are in safe Democratic states that Kerry will win anyway. The swing states are in places like PA and MI and Arkansas, and saying that you want to ban guns there is a loser.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Lets hope to God that there are no mass killings by anyone with an "assault weapon"  before the election.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not THE story, it's the story of the week. I think it will fade pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No, it doesn't help Kerry. the AWB is popular with the Democratic base, but most of them are in safe Democratic states that Kerry will win anyway. The swing states are in places like PA and MI and Arkansas, and saying that you want to ban guns there is a loser.

I concur.  And yet amazingly that is exactly what John Kerry was doing last week in Allentown, PA.  It's hard to imagine what was going through his mind, desperation, probably.  Hopefully he'll keep it up and stage a repeat performance of 2000.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#22]
According to the vote on MSNBC that is on the same page as the AWB poll Bush is beating Kerry by 11%.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I concur.  And yet amazingly that is exactly what John Kerry was doing last week in Allentown, PA.  It's hard to imagine what was going through his mind, desperation, probably.  Hopefully he'll keep it up and stage a repeat performance of 2000.

He probably assumes Pennsylvania is anti-gun since it's closer to Massachusetts than Texas.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I think it's great that this is happening now (the media blitz) because it will have died and gone when the election is here.  I think if the AWB expired 30 days or more down the road it would be more damaging to Bush.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think if it was going to be a hot topic, it would have been already.

If they make too much of a stink now, W can always ask, "Tell me.... If you're SO in favor of it, why did you wait for it to expire before raising hell? Politics? Are YOU playing politics with the safety of the American people, Senator?"

Throw it right back at them!

Exactly my thoughts, you beat me to the post.

-LS
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It seems as though the AWB has taken the CBS document forgery story right off of the front page.  Here we have a major media station forging documents to smear the incumbent president and to try to influence a national election and that has quickly taken a back seat.

A lot of people will recognize Kerry's antics as BS. CBS/news media has been looking for a little breathing roo  from the forged documents debacle. The forged documents will come back to the front pages after the news media tires of the AWs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#27]
The media desperately WANTS the AWB sunset to be the story, but it simply doesn't have legs.  It's not an issue and won't be one in the election.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of people will recognize Kerry's antics as BS. CBS/news media has been looking for a little breathing from the forged documents debacle. The forged documents will come back to the front pages after the news media tires of the AWs.

The should hang Don Hewitt from a yardarm!!! Does the Navy still have yardarms? Even if they didn't that cocksucker needs one built just for him! Oh, and by the balls!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Gun control is a losing issue. Name one gun law in recent years that was passed that did NOT result in politicians losing their jobs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
It hurts the Dems to be banging the anti-gun drum right now, especially using politicians like Feinstein and Schumer to do it--those two do not go over well in the heartland.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#31]
48 hours from now, nobody will remember the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And I hope the include the Dangerous Sniper rifles in too. With there telescopic sights it makes hitting your target at long range a snap. Maby that would wake the hunters up if there bolt guns were to be banned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The media desperately WANTS the AWB sunset to be the story....

Brother, ain't THAT the truth!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard a audio clip of a Kerry campaign speech.  Kerry flat out lied (no surprise there) and told his audience that police officers don't want to stare down the barrel of machine guns, but that is what they will have to do because GW didn't push for the AWB.

When it gets mentioned in the debates,  Bush ought to call Kerry a demagogue and a liar for scaring people into thinking that the AWB dealt with MGs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends on how you vote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top