Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 10:51:58 PM EDT
Remember when you could watch TV without seeing commercials for credit cards, prescription drugs, and low-life lawyers?

Remember the days before paid programming?

I need to dig some of my old TV tapes out and watch them just for the commercials.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, seems most of those are own late at night or middle of the day
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. LOL.

Remember when you could just walk down the block to just about any store, plop down some cash, and walk out with a brand spanking new weapon? And carry it home under your arm without getting a single stare? No wait, no check, no fuss, no muss. Cash and carry.

It wasn't that long ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yep. LOL.

Remember when you could just walk down the block to just about any store, plop down some cash, and walk out with a brand spanking new weapon? And carry it home under your arm without getting a single stare? No wait, no check, no fuss, no muss. Cash and carry.

It wasn't that long ago.

I got to fill out a 4473 but no check with CCW here.  Nearest gunstore is kinda far away though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember  when there weren't any "watermarks" in the bottom right hand corner of the TV when you watched a show on network TV? God now they have animated advertisements. Those stupid NASCAR ads on TNT piss me off. They even have sound. WTF?!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remember  when there weren't any "watermarks" in the bottom right hand corner of the TV when you watched a show on network TV? God now they have animated advertisements. Those stupid NASCAR ads on TNT piss me off. They even have sound. WTF?!

Those little watermarks kill me when I tape things.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yep. LOL.

It wasn't that long ago.

I walk in, pick one out, fill out the 4473 and state form, pay my money, and walk out the door.

I wish VA would exempt CHP holders from the check.  At least we're exempted from the 1 gun a month law now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Remember when you could watch TV without seeing commercials for credit cards, prescription drugs, and low-life lawyers?

I need to dig some of my old TV tapes out and watch them just for the commercials.

Remember when cable tv first came out?  It's selling point was that you were paying for it, so no commercials and they could use profanity and show nudity anytime.  Also, remember when MTV played music videos?!?!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember when cable tv first came out?  It's selling point was that you were paying for it, so no commercials and they could use profanity and show nudity anytime.  Also, remember when MTV played music videos?!?!  

I didn't have cable until 1989, when we moved to town.  Before then all we had was an antenna and NBC.  When we did get cable, we got 7 channels.  PBS, WGN, NBC, TBS, ABC, CBS, and CMT.  

I can remember my grandparents having cable as early as 1984ish, and they lived in the sticks of WV.

Speaking of MTV and music videos, I was surfing the channels at home yesterday evening.  Go by MTV and see Lenny Kravitz.  Think, "Wow, a music video at 4PM on a Sunday afternoon on MTV?".  After about 20 seconds, it turns out to be a fucking GAP commercial.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Remember when the news consisted of 1/2 hour of national and 1/2 hour of local from 3 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC)?

Remember when they at least TRIED to confirm facts and display SOME objectivity?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Remeber when you could run down the street play war games with the nieborhood kids with cap guns and no one gave you a second look as you fought over who shot who.

ETA:
your dead I shot ya!

No you didn't you missed.

No, I got you when you took cover behind the dog.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remember when the news consisted of 1/2 hour of national and 1/2 hour of local from 3 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC)?

Remember when they at least TRIED to confirm facts and display SOME objectivity?

Never missed it in my younger days.  I remember spending many a winter evening watching the local & national news on NBC at my grandparents house.

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a national news broadcast on any of the three major networks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Remeber when you could run down the street play war games with the nieborhood kids with cap guns and no one gave you a second look as you fought over who shot who.

You still can't do that?

There was a Family Circle comic to that end in Saturday's paper.  Billy was pointing his index finger at Jeffy and saying "Bang Bang!".  Then their mother entered the picture and his words changed to "Squirt, Squirt!" and Billy had a frown on his face.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cable was touted, IIRC, to be commercial free because you were paying for it.
Now it's all infomercials after hours and the monthly bill is rediculous!

I think about that every month when I pay my cable bill.

Imagine that, actually paying to watch advertisments.

We're crazy, aren't we?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Remember when there was an AWB!!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
And when paying in person, standing in a long line makes it all worth while.

That's why I mail mine.  Cheaper for me to slap a stamp on the envelope than to drive to their office.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I drive right past Adelphia's main office daily, 26 miles away, pocket the 37 cents...oh boy!

Damn I hate Adelphia.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I miss records. Putting an LP on the turntable, putting a couple drops of cleaner on the pad, letting it run a couple revolutions, putting the needle over a track, and flipping the switch. Now me, 27 other people, and DJ's are the only people who like records.

Oh, and the main problem? I was born after the advent of CD's. 'Course, my father, sort of an audiophile himself, has amassed a large collection of the classics...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't miss vinyl at all.  Don't miss vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes in the least bit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:39:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Remember when you could remember?

AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top