Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 8:21:56 PM EDT
So here I am taking off the fake stock from my bushmaster and all these small parts go flying all over the place....   and now I am missing stuff....    did I really need thoes springs and the buffer dent in the first place....I guess I will have to order replacements
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
LMAO!!!!!

Dude, sorry but that is hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
somehow I knew this would be about removing a buttstock...ask me how I know
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So here I am taking off the fake stock from my bushmaster and all these small parts go flying all over the place....   and now I am missing stuff....    did I really need thoes springs and the buffer dent in the first place....I guess I will have to order replacements

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why you put a sheet over your head when you'll be working with springs, ect. that'll go flying. That way they hit the sheet and stop under it so you can find them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
somehow I knew this would be about removing a buttstock

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's why you put a sheet over your head when you'll be working with springs, ect. that'll go flying. That way they hit the sheet and stop under it so you can find them.

+100

FWIW I ran my AR for awhile without the buffer retainer, works find, just catch the buffer when you disassemble
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Same fucking thing happened to me, I'm too old to be on my hands and knees looking for those damn things, guess I'll wait till morning and have another drink!!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah and it don't get any better when you take the handgrip off either!!!

A good Armalite OD green repair kit is around thirty bucks(has all your springs,detents and firing pin ,cam pin,and trigger springs as well)  nice thing to have in your BOB!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a feeling we will be seing this frequently in the next few weeks....

MT
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup me too!  Oh well found it and all is well.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
it'll work just fine. might wanna get the buffer retainer spring & cap sometime though.

funny though, i had an a hour long stare down with my colt. finally, i couldn't resist. i just had to know what kept the gun together. i got about 10 minutes into the operation when the same thing happened to me.

you'll be fine & you'll learn. enjoy your new stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Heh. I bet Bushmaster is going to ship a bunch of springs and detents tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It depends on what all you lost:

Typically, what goes flying when you remove a stock is the buffer pin and buffer pin spring:

However, if you lost the rear takedown spring and detent (see pic) then you DO need those.... or your takedown pin will back out....  (altho this is not likely you lost these.... maybe just the spring)

Just find the damn things!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Typically, what goes flying when you remove a stock is the buffer pin and buffer pin spring:

www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/partsbig.jpg

However, if you lost the rear takedown spring and detent (see pic) then you DO need those.... or your takedown pin will back out....  (altho this is not likely you lost these.... maybe just the spring)

I have both the spings but they are damaged.... As to the location of the buffer pin....I think it is with all my missing left socks.......a small price to pay for freedom
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I see your problem:  you have left and right socks?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Just pull one of the maganets off of the Fridge and run it over the spot where you think the parts are, if they're there it'll pick them up, or if you've got a bagless vacume you can use it to pick up the parts then check the lint/dust container for the parts.  Either way I'm sure you'll find them one way or another even if you step on them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
rookie!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I did that my first time too, but that was over 20 years ago. Good luck finding everything.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Been there done that.

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

www.kevinholman.com/byor/lower/partsbig.jpg

I lost the stupid takedown detent spring and tore the place apart when it happened to me...found it under the carpet somehow
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
LMAO !

I did the EXACT same thing.......  luckily I found the spring and detent pretty quickly !

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Try this:

Turn off any lights.

Use a strong flashlight to sweep the floor at an acute angle (hold the flashlight almost horizontally and nearly touching the floor).

With luck, as the flashlight sweeps the offending part, the part will cast a large shadow making it much easier to see.

(Note that you’ll also find a lot of dead spiders and such with this technique.  )  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
For future reference:

Take it apart in your bathroom with the door closed and the sink.tub drains closed/covered over.

Get a cat and let them look for the springs when they go flying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm saving all these tips for when I get back stateside when I can un-f*ck my Post ban!!!  I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:31:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I replaced six A2 grips with Hogue grips tonight. On the fifth one, the selector spring was stuck in the grip(), when I went to pull it out, it flew behind me and landed in a candle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I replaced six A2 grips with Hogue grips tonight. On the fifth one, the selector spring was stuck in the grip(), when I went to pull it out, it flew behind me and landed in a candle.

Aw jeez, were those banned too? All these years...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aw jeez, were those banned too? All these years...

No, but I had about $3k worth of parts and receivers sitting around for three months that I hadn't had time to put together.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#28]
... A big plastic bag in these matters is you friend!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:37:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Brownells sells the detent springs in five packs for about a buck a pop.
FIVE packs, thats gotta tell you something about how often they get lost.
Always wear eye protection when dealing with those little bastards:

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
rookie!

+1  Mine is feeling better already
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Did the same thing also, he he, I don't even think I was drinking. Last few threads and boing , WTF was that.  Then did the hands and knees thing for 1/2 hour but found all.  Amazing how lessons like that are the ones that stay with us the longest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#32]
put some of your wife or girlriend's panty hose over a vacuum nozzle and run it around in the area.  An old, weak vacuum works best.  Otherwise it may pull the part right through the panty hose.  Also,  put on a clean bag first in case it does get through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top