Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 4:18:48 PM EDT
I stopped by the Portland Expo show with a couple of friends today.

Probably the worst show I've seen in years. Very little of real value/interest for sale. On the few interesting items I noticed, the pricetags were through the stinking roof.

What amazes me more than anything is the complete idiots that tend to pass for dealers these days.

I was at this one fellows table for less than two minutes before he started in with some obviously bogus nonsense about how he was a SEAL turned Delta and had just gone off of active duty. Seems he thought he could put his Super Ninja abilities to use selling firearms. Dunno.

After walking around for a bit, I spied a table with a decent selection of M1A's. I went over and started checking prices and what not and spied one of the new Springfield SOCOM models. It caught the eye of my friend and, with the dealer far to busy chomping down on a plate of bento to sell his wares, I volunteered what I knew of the rifle.

I mentioned to my friend that I wished Springfield had put a flash suppressor on the rifle as opposed to a muzzle break. At this point, Bento Eater nearly choked on his food. He finally managed to tear himself away from his plate to not-so-politely inform me that putting a flash suppressor on an M1A such as the SOCOM would be a violation of the AW Ban: I'd have to "wait until next week".

I politely informed him that the AWB still "allowed two evil feautres on post-ban rifles and that since the only evil feature on the SOCOM was the ability to accept a detachable magazine, one could add a pistol grip OR flash suppressor, etc. and still be "compliant".

At this point, the joker smugly chimes in that I've "forgotten about the other existing feature on the SOCOM: the 16" barrel".

I say "a 16" barrel is not a feature regulated by the AWB".

Bento Eater laughs and tell me that I better get my facts straight or I'll end up in prison.

...and so on and so on and so on.

WTF happened to gun shows? I can remember not so long ago counting the days until I could go to a show and blow some cash on a bit of hard to find equipment, get some greasy grub and pal around with the guys.

Between people offering free samples of Indian bead art, $25 katanas, blow hards, Mall Ninja FFL types, high prices, jack-booted local law enforcement, etc. etc. etc. I have half a mind to simply mail order whatever I need or buy it private party.

Then I can spend the day at the range instead of dealing with a bunch gunshow mongoloids.

Anyone else feeling the same way?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]

"forgotten about the other existing feature on the SOCOM: the 16" barrel".

what a moron

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with gun shows is that you don't have to know anything about guns to get in. This causes numerous uninformed buyers to walk in, allowing SOME money hungry dealers to prey on them. Hence the $5000 preban ARs that were sighted at shows this weekend. Since many people don't know anything about guns except that they want one, they are easily suckered by these dealers. This issue is make worse by the many dealers who don't really know much about guns themselves. Evidently many dealers have become convinced that selling guns makes them the living equivilent of John Wayne, and they have fabricated stories to match this persona. What this leaves us with is an uninformed, price gouging asshole. He thinks that he is Sgt Stryker, Jane's Recognition Guide, and the Blue Book of Gun Values all rolled into one. He sees everyone as a mark, and seeks to publically discredit anyone who may blow his cover.

Enter you, the informed buyer. You know the law to the letter. As a gun lover, you probably also have an interest in military history. You can identify every black rifle on the table, and know the fair market value for them. You are a decent guy, so it bothers you that he would not only try to rip you off, but he wants to rip off those who know nothing about guns. This is because that kind of asshole makes all of us look bad. You know he is lying, and it offends you.

Unfortunatly , like the rest of society there are assholes in the gun business. Since they treat people like shit, there is no way they would ever be able to keep a fixed gun business. So, they take to the road, hauling their overpriced guns and their overinflated egos from town to town, where they think nobody can see what they are. By the time most customers realize that he was a lying price-gouging fuckhead, he is packed up and gone, never to be seen again. While there are certainly some good dealers at gunshows, many are nothing more than gypsies wih FFLs. They ruin it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The Gun Shows in the metro Detroit area have gotten extremely lame lately.  Not even good for ammo any more.  Same dealers trying to dump the same shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
North Carolina has a lot of gun shows. The top three are:
  1. The Raleigh gun show, NC State Fairgrounds: "Dixie Gun and Knife Classic"
  2. Greensboro Gun Show, Greensboro Coliseum
  3. Charlotte Gun Show, Metrolina Exo Center
Absolutely worthwhile.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The Pope Show in Nashville is still pretty good. Large selection of guns, ammo, and accessories with plenty of good people. I don't recall ever seeing Beenie Babies at a Pope Show,
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The show at Knob Creek is the only one I really enjoy.

All the weapons dreams are made of and the best deals around on mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in So. calif. we get so many people selling beanie babies, beef jerky, and just junk overall. They should change the name from gun and knife show to knife and odds & ends show.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The only real good gun show I have found is the WANENMACHER'S gun show in Tulsa Oklahoma. It's the world’s largest gun show and if I don't like someone I can always find an item at another table. I also like it because if I'm looking for accessories I can bounce prices between dealers and get an awesome price.

If you’re around Tulsa go here

Jerad
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I will have a sign at the next Monroe show that lets everyone know the ban is over and not to be fool'd by the sharks behind the table.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have to agree with you. Knob Creek is the only show I still walk around in with any anticipation at all. Some years I don't even walk down the firing line. Talk about same 'ol same 'ol.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude you beat me to it!

I just got back from EXPO and was gonna post a thread titled "Just did my LAST gunshow ever".

The Expo USED to be a pretty decent show but the FLEA MARKET that's replaced it sux!

BTW, the "Bento eater" you talked to was Kieth of Kieths Guns (The largest stocking dealer in Oregon).

I went to the show to buy a couple of BCCH combo's and check the prices on the "Pre-Bans" in their last hours of life.

Buddy of mine still had his PWA "177" at ONLY $1,500 and another had a couple of beater Colt HBAR's for $1,300.

I'm done with that show.  Puyallup last month up your way didn't seem to be alot better either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Here in Phoenix, Arizona.  We are having the fourth annual SAR SHOW. December 3, 4, and 5 2004

This is Small Arms Review and Crossroads of the West  joining together. It's getting bigger and better every year.

The link is            www.smallarmsreview.com/  

Warning! If Fullauto weapons offend you, don't click on the link above.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Oklahoma and Indianapolis are the last of the guns shows

Knob Creek stands on its own
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
this one in Charlotte is usually a good one.
www.cegunshows.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Not in Southwest VA/Northeast TN.

The shows in Kingsport TN and Gray TN are suck.

The only VA show I've been to is Salem, and it wasn't much.  C&E shows are suck.  Salem was better than the NETN shows.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When is the Indy show? Got link? I think I have some friends up there but have never been given the heads up.
Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#17]
We used to have a bitchin' show in Grayslake, at the Lake County Fairgrounds.

It was fine until the village annexed the area a few years back.

Then the gun grabbing bitch of a mayor and her flunkie Chief of Police in Grayslake set up a "sting", where plainclothes cops (obviously over 18) were sent in to buy ammo. Out of the 100+ dealers there, they conned two into selling to them w/o ID, claiming they were "from Indiana" and they had "left their wallet in the car out in the lot". They charged the offending dealers with unlawful sales.

Using this, and the omnipresent 3-5 guns stolen from each show*, she claimed that the gun show was a "public nuisance" and ordered it closed.

But it's OK to have the antique shows, and RV shows, etc.

NIMBY strikes again.

*anybody ever hear of a 200+ dealer show where something didn't get lifted? No difference. This is the one case I have personal knowledge of that sent chills down my spine when I hear about the "would LEO seize guns if they were illegal" scenarios. These guys played on the "good 'ol boy" factor at gun shows to squeak around a law. It was wrong, and I'm not arguing for that. I'm P.O.'d that they didn't do it as part of a consistent enforcement program - they did it as rats, and 1 <2% violator factor was used against the whole show.

Hey wait.... AWB's account for <2% of guns in crimes.... coincidence?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to agree with you. Knob Creek is the only show I still walk around in with any anticipation at all. Some years I don't even walk down the firing line. Talk about same 'ol same 'ol.

Bob

KNOB CREEK
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm glad i did'nt go to the rose city show this weekend.  any good deals are offset by the ever rising cost of admission and parking.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
North Carolina has a lot of gun shows. The top three are:
  1. The Raleigh gun show, NC State Fairgrounds: "Dixie Gin and Knife Classic"
  2. Greensboro Gun Show, Greensboro Coliseum
  3. Charlotte Gun Show, Metrolina Exo Center
Absolutely worthwhile.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When is the Indy show? Got link? I think I have some friends up there but have never been given the heads up.
Bob

It was a couple of weeks ago and I 'll check but should be October 29, 30, 31, 2004

Yep here is the info

Indianapolis Indiana: World Class Gun Show - Indiana State Fairgrounds - Oct 29-31 2004 405-340-1333
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

It was a couple of weeks ago and I 'll check but should be October 29, 30, 31, 2004

Yep here is the info

Indianapolis Indiana: World Class Gun Show - Indiana State Fairgrounds - Oct 29-31 2004 405-340-1333

Is there a link where I can find this out for myself without bothering you? Will you be my friend?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bob

Yep here is the info

Is there a link where I can find this out for myself without bothering you? Will you be my friend?

Bob

OK You don't need me anymore

http://www.shotgunnews.com/gunshow/

Gun Shows

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The only real good gun show I have found is the WANENMACHER'S gun show in Tulsa Oklahoma. It's the world’s largest gun show and if I don't like someone I can always find an item at another table. I also like it because if I'm looking for accessories I can bounce prices between dealers and get an awesome price.

If you’re around Tulsa go here

Jerad

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I went to one and it beat what Im used to by alot.  I seen a few better but it worked for me.

I always go to them becuase if I dont go there will be someone selling $500 M16s and they are covering the cost of the tax stamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top