Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2004 12:42:52 PM EDT
I've met lots of cops who have a pretty dim view of humanity because they deal with the worst of it.  I've met EMTs that think that all motorcyclists will wind up splattered on the pavement because that's all they ever see.  
I've met ER doctors and nurses that take  a pretty dim view of the world because of the things they see.
Most people that work for .gov beaurocracies wind up pretty cynical about those sorts of things eventually.
Lots of old teachers are extremely cynical about the state of both today's youth, and the education systems.

On a different level, I work in the construction industry.  I am in commercial, but I am extremely cynical about residential construction because of the things I've seen.

Has your business made you cynical about anything?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have discovered that many people have zero work ethic. Sad.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
its really a matter of attitude over the long haul.  
no matter what you do, it affects the way you see things.

i work in a gov't job and yes i am cynical about gov't operations, so called "efficiency", etc.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ironically, the only people my profession has made me cynical about are the people IN my profession.

There's a disturbing number of incompetent assholes and arrogant posers among the ranks of "researchers" that wouln't know quality research if it bit them on the ass.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Truer Words Have never been Spoken  

Quoted:
Ironically, the only people my profession has made me cynical about are the people IN my profession.

There's a disturbing number of incompetent assholes and arrogant posers among the ranks of "researchers" that wouln't know quality research if it bit them on the ass.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in a factory, I dont put anything past anyone anymore. When you think you can trust one of your co-workers, they will stab you in the back quicker than shit. Same goes for mangement.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Good question ...... Has my profession made me cynical ?

Let's see ..... I work on vehicles .

People will spend a $200 to fix a $400 TV , yet many of those same people  piss and moan to spend  $200 on a $30,000 vehicle .

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Has your business made you cynical about anything?

Of course.  The average person is a functional idiot.  I'm surprised they survived to adult hood.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a cynic long before I got into this business.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent 18 months doing telephone and e-mail tech support for a now extinct dot-bomb (before that 10 years in other IT related occupations).

I thought I knew just hopeless people and humanity in general were before that, but I never knew just how deep it REALLY went.

I see and interact with individuals that prove that not EVERYONE is total tard but as a species we have so badly short-circuted Darwin that overall we are going downhill at warp speed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
as a species we have so badly short-circuted Darwin that overall we are going downhill at warp speed.

Correct.  Modern medicine and the nanny state have allowed those who would have previosly been thinned from the heard, to survive to reproductive age.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
as a species we have so badly short-circuted Darwin that overall we are going downhill at warp speed.

Correct.  Modern medicine and the nanny state have allowed those who would have previosly been thinned from the heard, to survive to reproductive age.  

Fine - I promise I won't reproduce.

Happy now?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I agree 100% , I always say the same exact thing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

On a different level, I work in the construction industry.  I am in commercial, but I am extremely cynical about residential construction because of the things I've seen.

I'am in commercial, myself. what makes you cynical about residential construction?

Scab labor?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I graduated college in May of 03 and got a job with the Department of Energy. After a week at work I was still without a Computer and Office Supplies because of bureaucratic BS. I had a project assigned to me I needed to get moving on. So I come into work about half an hour early to take care of this stuff. My department had different hours than the rest of the lab.

I come in and bump into the HR director for my division and he snaps at me for being in early. So after that I said fuck it.  I came in bright eyed and bushy tailed with a strong work ethic and got scolded. And the same thing happened with my line managers; I would finish projects and not get assigned new ones, tools and parts I requested wouldn't get ordered.

My "Project" moved to a new facility that was still being completed. We hand moved delicate equipment to the new facility and let the hired movers do the rest. Well we went for a month and a half without our offices, documents, and non delicate equipment. The movers lost a truck. Then the bureaucrats decided to take what good furniture we had to furnish offices up stairs and left us working on folding tables. Then this month they ask for there tables back.

So I am cynical, damn cynical. And my work ethic has gone to shit. Before this job I thought "Corporate Culture" was a junk HR term. But it's real a company has a "culture" and it can break your work ethic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So I am cynical, damn cynical. And my work ethic has gone to shit. Before this job I thought "Corporate Culture" was a junk HR term. But it's real a company has a "culture" and it can break your work ethic.

I agree completely.  First of all I think the concept of "work ethic" is just a scam that the upper class uses to motivate the lower class, but that's neither here nor there.  I have seen several companies complain that they can't find any good help, and when they do that good help inevitably turns to shit.  Gee, I wonder why that is....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah, but you're in academe...  That's an unfair question to ask you.  Have you ever attended Faculty Senate?  That'll make you a cynic in no time.  Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'am in commercial, myself. what makes you cynical about residential construction?

Scab labor?

Just curious.

I work in residential as a finish carpenter, and I can tell you that quality has gone to SHIT. Just TRY hanging a door where the framed opening legs are 1 1/2" out of parallel! Wages are stagnant AT BEST, and actually trend downward. The "brown" framers and drywallers are forcing the long time people out because of wage competition, and too many contractors willing to look the other way for those cheap wages. The displaced people think "well, I have been in construction for years, I can do finish woork...maybe not as well as the finish guy, but I'll do it cheap.
Contractor sees that and says to us "do it cheaper, or not at all".
Go into any residential development these days and yell "INS!"...that jobsite will be a ghostown inside of 3 minutes.
Can you tell that I hate my job?
I am going to school to hop to a different profession-can't wait to ditch what I am doing now.

Nick (I'm NOT bitter)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I spent 18 months doing telephone and e-mail tech support for a now extinct dot-bomb (before that 10 years in other IT related occupations).

I thought I knew just hopeless people and humanity in general were before that, but I never knew just how deep it REALLY went.

I see and interact with individuals that prove that not EVERYONE is total tard but as a species we have so badly short-circuted Darwin that overall we are going downhill at warp speed.

I've been in tech support for going on 8 years now, and I definitely got around when the market was hot.  Yes, it's made me more cynical.  The absolute worst people to have to support though, has GOT to be medical professionals.  Their technical ability normally is in inverse proportion to their education.  Doctors are the absolute worst. They'll have their head rammed chin deep up their ass on a technical matter, blame it on the tech, the net, whatever.  Then they'll demand to have it "their way".  Often "their way" will be patently impossible due to the laws of nature and/or physics.  Millions will be (and have been) spent trying to do it that way though, out of the simple arrogance of a PhD and his inability to be wrong.  Nurses are pretty damn bad too.  I live with one, and if she weren't so damn cute, I'da replaced "her" laptop with a putty-colored etch-a-sketch a loooooong time ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in a 9-1-1 dispatch center, I really try hard everyday to remmember that Im in the customer service business, but some days it is really hard!

On the other hand, I will say that the highest amount of "dumbass" comes from the other side of the Radio (with city police officers in the lead, followed by a private ambulance company, the Sheriffs deputys and then the firefighters), the people sitting next to me, and then at the bottom of the chain citizens....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I am an Attorney.

Very Very Very Very Cynical
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, and it also tends to make you hate people to be honest.  I've worked in law enforcement for almost 6 years now and dealt with the cruelest and dumbest of society.  Kinda makes ya wonder how they made it this far in life.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I tend to divide work life from everything else....
As a C.O. you get to deal with some of the dumbest individuals in society as well as some of the most evil. The crazy ones aren't bad... they're kinda fun, but that's 'cause they're crazy....
As a gov't run operation... they talk all the time about "accountability", but there really isn't any...
Corrections is highly politicical... and we the staff and the "clients" are the ones who pay when some dumbass elected rep. who's never seen the inside of a jail makes some idiotic decision or change to the system.
It's all smoke and mirrors to give the appearance that something worthwhile is being done... The public have no idea what's really going on....
But after 14 years I've learned to take it for what it is... And laugh at it while collecting the fat paycheque and booking lots of time off to do the things I like...
Cynical yeah... but I don't let it bother me....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i work in a gov't job and yes i am cynical about gov't operations, so called "efficiency", etc.

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I graduated college in May of 03 and got a job with the Department of Energy. After a week at work I was still without a Computer and Office Supplies because of bureaucratic BS.

ORNL?  At LANL, it took almost 2 months to get a PC through "Just In Time" procurement.  I was using my personal notebook the whole time so I could actually get work done.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I work in residential as a finish carpenter, and I can tell you that quality has gone to SHIT. Just TRY hanging a door where the framed opening legs are 1 1/2" out of parallel!

Yep.  I was trying to put up rails for shelving in my house a few months ago, and I'll be damned if I could find a single plumb stud in the whole house!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a Chiropractor.
I hate the profession.
I 've helped alot of people but I know my limits, all these other Docs think that they can fix everything, giving the profession a bad name.
My school lost its accredidation while I was there, big political mess, went from the largest school to the smallest that quick.
I hate that people think Chiropractors are sub-standard Doctors.
Becomming a Chiropractor is one of the most diffucult educational programs going.
100 credit hours per year, clinic during your last year and a half,  a maximum of 9 parts of boards, 4 min.

Blah, blah....

I start M.D. school in Jan.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]
My last job was a call center help desk... helping engineers, lawyers, and draftsmen figure out how to turn on a copier.

Now I sell cars via the internet, and for a deakership in a "sub-prime" market.  I can't remember the last credit report I saw that was over 500, aside from my own.

Between those two jobs, I'm firmly convinced that at least 75% of the population is a waste of oxygen.  If any of that 75% is a member here, I'm sorry if I've offended you.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#29]
No, life has made me a cynic not my profession.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I work in residential as a finish carpenter, and I can tell you that quality has gone to SHIT. Just TRY hanging a door where the framed opening legs are 1 1/2" out of parallel!

Yep.  I was trying to put up rails for shelving in my house a few months ago, and I'll be damned if I could find a single plumb stud in the whole house!

Its actually a waste of time and effort to make every single wall stud "plumb".  Not to mention that most of the studs themselves have a bit of warp to them.  It's really only important to get things like corners & door frames square.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#32]
My last job before starting school was in DSL Tech Support for BellSouth. I would come home everyday feeling like my brain had been raped. One day I sat down and realized that I would rather go on a rampage than take another tech support call. I got up, turned in my ID and key-card and walked out. It was the best decision I made this year and, depending on the outcome of the next 2 years in school, it may be one of the best in my life.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My last job before starting school was in DSL Tech Support for BellSouth. I would come home everyday feeling like my brain had been raped. One day I sat down and realized that I would rather go on a rampage than take another tech support call. I got up, turned in my ID and key-card and walked out. It was the best decision I made this year and, depending on the outcome of the next 2 years in school, it may be one of the best in my life.

What're you going to school for?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree completely.  First of all I think the concept of "work ethic" is just a scam that the upper class uses to motivate the lower class, but that's neither here nor there.  I have seen several companies complain that they can't find any good help, and when they do that good help inevitably turns to shit.  Gee, I wonder why that is....

The idea of work ethic is a scam? Are you serious?

I guess that would make sense being that you are in commercial work.

Sounds like a Union attitude to me!

I mean seriously, I live in a town where the unemployment rate is VERY low. And luckily we don't have the same problems that some of those in Texas and other areas have in the construction trade (or wages are still up, and no lack of work).

My wife also manages a retail store.

Lack of work ethic is a VERY tangible problem around here. It is incredibly difficult to get people to understand that by working hard, and being reliable, that you can actually get somewhere in life. That is because it is easy to live here (low cost of living, and again low unemployment).

Dealing with that alone is enough to make one a cynic.

But believe me, it didn't take that.

I think it started when I was about 8.........

Growing up fast does that to a person.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have learned many sad things as a result of my job.  

1.)  The vast majority of people are worthless.
2.)  The vast majority of people feel as though you owe them something.
3.)  People have no sense of personal responsibility.
4.)  If it isn't the way you want it, it must be someone else's fault.
5.)  If it isn't listed above, sue someone, 'cause somebody's got to pay.

Did I mention how disappointed I am in humanity?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What're you going to school for?

Nursing, however the eventual goal is to be certified as an Anethesist(sp), hopefully within the next 4-6 years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nurses are pretty damn bad too. I live with one, and if she weren't so damn cute, I'da replaced "her" laptop with a putty-colored etch-a-sketch a loooooong time ago.

Stuff it in her pooper and post pics.

That'll relieve some of your stress.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Including those who don't know the difference between a group of cattle and the past tense of "hear."  Sorry to be such an ass, but my profession has made me, well, cynical.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I've met lots of cops who have a pretty dim view of humanity because they deal with the worst of it.  I've met EMTs that think that all motorcyclists will wind up splattered on the pavement because that's all they ever see.  
I've met ER doctors and nurses that take  a pretty dim view of the world because of the things they see.
Most people that work for .gov beaurocracies wind up pretty cynical about those sorts of things eventually.

I'm a firefighter / paramedic for a "economically challenged" municipality, that, despite being "...the Democratic (party) jewel in the crown of Lake County" consistently hires one of the top union-busting law firms to fight us tooth and nail negotiate our contract evry 3 years. They "promoted" our company officers (supervisors) from Lieutenants to "Shift Commanders" in the middle of contract talks a few years ago , but didn't expand the slots for Lt.'s - now we have non-union psuedo-managers filling union Lt. slots, but the City says they can "do both jobs", despite the stomewall on upward mobility.

(Why are unions supposed to vote Democrat again? [>:|]  I don't - both for the lib agenda overkill and the crap like this that they pull on a local level.)

Many of our officers are political hacks (some of whom initially failed the entrance exam ) who refuse to take stands on issues (like spending $$ on staffing or equipment) that the pols might not like for fear of losing their positions within the department; they refuse to encourage education and continually belittle anybody with more than HS/GED; they don't encourage officer development for fear that they would either have to attend (and might not pass), or be held to the same standard as the new officers, and they tell us to "make do" with equipment that is broken or irrepairable.

Most of our customers are regular folks, but we have a high degree of entitlement mindset - the kind that thinks we should be grateful to take the single mom to the ER with her baby...

Who's "got the flu", and has for 3 days....

But she hasn't taken the baby to the County clinic, because she's "too busy" being unemployed...

and because "Medicaid don't pay for no taxicab..."

Hmm... cynical.... what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Heh. Sounds like where I work. I started out in the Call Center fielding customer support calls. On top of that I had a sales quota I had to meet. It was mind-numbing to say the least, and you really hit it on the head with the mind-rape thing.

If people don't end up quitting, they end up getting terminated because they can't meet sales quota or quality standards.

I'm a statistical anomaly; I actually survived the Call Center and moved on to a different position within the company.

There's nothing quite like tech support to make a person cynical.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm a Chiropractor.
I hate the profession.
I 've helped alot of people but I know my limits, all these other Docs think that they can fix everything, giving the profession a bad name.
My school lost its accredidation while I was there, big political mess, went from the largest school to the smallest that quick.
I hate that people think Chiropractors are sub-standard Doctors.
Becomming a Chiropractor is one of the most diffucult educational programs going.
100 credit hours per year, clinic during your last year and a half,  a maximum of 9 parts of boards, 4 min.

Blah, blah....

I start M.D. school in Jan.

I'm an M.D. and I refer pt.'s to chiropractors and get referrals from them.  Just like M.D.'s, the vast majority are good.  I'd definitely keep your accreditation with chiropractic medicine because it will give you another option in treating patients depending on what specialty you go into.  If you become a neurosurgeon then you probably won't use it.  You'll probably see more of the underbelly of society in your M.D. training.  It can get very ugly.  Good luck with your studies!

I have become more realistic about what I can do for people.  I'm also more astute in determining what they actually want from me and I do my best to give it to them.  I'm no longer surprised by what people do to themselves or to others.  Maybe that is becoming cynical.  I think it makes me a better doctor since I cut through the B.S. and get to the heart of the problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sales manager for a residential metal roofing manufacturer--I couldn't be more optimistic. We've seen steady growth since the company's 1980 inception and have grown explosively in the last 2-3 years. The industry seems somewhat "recession proof" in that, when people are not moving and building new homes, they invest more in their current home. Either way we sell roofs. I work with wonderful people, and have extremely loyal customers. Things almost couldn't be better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Most of our customers are regular folks, but we have a high degree of entitlement mindset - the kind that thinks we should be grateful to take the single mom to the ER with her baby...

Who's "got the flu", and has for 3 days....

But she hasn't taken the baby to the County clinic, because she's "too busy" being unemployed...

and because "Medicaid don't pay for no taxicab..."

Hmm... cynical.... what do you think?

I was at one time a Fire Figther / EMT too and I know the feeling. I think another part of the problem with Emergency Medical calls is the fact everyone depends on 911. Even folks who have insurance call 911 for bullshit now, it's like they can't handle anything themselfs. For years the Emergency Services community pushed 911 and now they got it  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
 The idea of work ethic is a scam? Are you serious?

Absolutely.

Work smart, not hard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell no!

Now what the fuck are you looking at? What is in the bag you liar?! Got any dope in the car?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Now what the fuck are you looking at?

From my prior contacts with XXX I know that he recognises me as a police officer. As I drove by he held his hand in the air with one finger raised. I believed XXX was waving me down and wanted to speak to me. <g>
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I work in a factory, I dont put anything past anyone anymore. When you think you can trust one of your co-workers, they will stab you in the back quicker than shit. Same goes for mangement.

+1

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to think I wanted to run for office, until I worked in politics.  I've now been working in politics since '99 and I will NEVER run for office or even work for a legislator.  Whores are more respectable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a zero work ethic is one thing.

But to blindly give 110+% on a daily basis is a quick way to dig your own grave.
Its been my experience that supervisiors are seldom satisfied with just an "honest days work".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top