Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 5:50:31 AM EDT
I will be in the DC area this week on business.  I took an earlier flight today in order to go to Arlington.  I will be visiting the grave of a Green Beret who was killed in Afghanistan.  His widow is one of my wife's best friends.  I told the wife that I would be going to pay my respects today.  She appreciated it and let me know that today Sep 12 is the 1 year anniversary of his burial.  She said that most or all of the Afghan/Iraq war dead are buried in the same area.  Hallowed ground indeed.

I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it.

My trip was to pay my respects to this man. Mitch Lane, Green Beret

Tomb of the Unknowns

Audie Murphy, headstone just like everybody else

Pentagon in the background

Memorial Amphitheatre

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It would be nice if you took a pic and posted it.  I'd like to see how they've honored him.

Have a safe trip.  I'm sure that man will be looking down and thanking you for your visit.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I went to visit my dad there yesterday.  I love/hate the place.  So much history, make sure you set aside enough time to ses the changing of the Guard at the Tomb.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I am bringing my digital camera.  I will post pics this evening.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You will be carrying the respect, and gratitude of the AR15 board, while you are visiting, for those of us who are not there.  
Please say a prayer, from us, while you are there.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]

You will be carrying the respect, and gratitude of the AR15 board, while you are visiting, for those of us who are not there.
Please say a prayer, from us, while you are there.

prayers will definatelty be outgoing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for those photos.  I personally appreciate it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Great pics..thank you for the reminder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]

I really hope you took this one on HIGH resolution. This is an EXCELLENT picture.

Thank you.  All of them are saved as 1600x1200.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]

L to R Columbia Memorial, Iran Hostage Rescue, Challenger Memorial
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope to someday visit....

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I went for my second time last year on my vacation. I went to see the grave of Ira Hays and the Iwo Jima memorial. I walked around the whole day just reading the inscriptions and imagining the stories. I cried a lot that day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]

I attended my uncle's funeral there in 1998.  Incredibly moving ceremony - I cried a lot.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
One more bump.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#19]
It the most peaceful, and most solemn place I have ever been.  It you don't get a lump in your throat while there, you are already dead.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Beautiful photos (especially the amphitheatre --  WOW!).  I am ashamed that in the four years I lived in Arlington, I never made it to the Cemetery.  I was always "too busy."  Now I live a little further west (Fairfax), but I will be making the time to go soon.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421553535/4.jpg
Memorial Amphitheatre

I really hope you took this one on HIGH resolution.  This is an EXCELLENT picture.

yep... can we get the high res image, or would you mind IM'ing it or emailing it to me.
Make a beautiful desktop.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
anyone that wants it can email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you for sharing this. I owe each and every man a debt I can never repay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#24]
tagged...

I visited Arlington back in June....i'll toss up a few of my photos if you guys are interested, but I'm at work right now.  

It's a truly humbling place to visit.  I could never express my graditude to all who have died to give me my freedom.  

The ampitheater picture is outstanding!  Wish I had that lighting when I was there.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have visited Arlington many times as I have some friends that are resting there. I have always had two thoughts while standing on the top of the hill of the Arlington house looking down on DC.  I have always wondered how General Lee felt the night he decided to go with the confederacy and knowing it meant giving up his magnificent farm that overlooks DC, that he was turning his back to a country that he had fought several wars for and was now going to be taking up arms against that very same country and that many Americans were going to be killed in the coming conflict.

My second thought is that I pray that the folks down on capitol hill will step out on the front step of the capitol and look up on the hill at Arlington and think deeply about the decisions that they are making because their decisions may damn well be directly proportional to how many more white grave markers will appear on the hills of Arlington.

If anyone is visiting Arlington plan for a least a half a day or more visit to the Cemetery in order to see the important parts of it. It is filled with many interesting pieces of history and interesting experiences. Oddly enough it is not a sad place even if you want to or do cry. I can't explain the feeling because it is something you will have to experience for yourself but you are very proud and you are amongst the bravest American's to have ever walked the face of the earth. Make sure to make the changing of the guard and visit the Arlington house and walk around the garden.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have visited Arlington many times as I have some friends that are resting there. I have always had two thoughts while standing on the top of the hill of the Arlington house looking down on DC.  I have always wondered how General Lee felt the night he decided to go with the confederacy and knowing it meant giving up his magnificent farm that overlooks DC, that he was turning his back to a country that he had fought several wars for and was now going to be taking up arms against that very same country and that many Americans were going to be killed in the coming conflict.

IMHO, back then his "Country" was VIRGINIA.  He wasn't turning his back on his "country" he was fully supporting it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree with you 7 Lee's loyalty was with the South but I bet it was a difficult decission to make for a number of reasons. Have you ever read the book "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaaara about the civil war? It is a very good book to read!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#28]
WRONG Lee's loyalty was with Virginia and had Virginia not left the Union he wouldn't have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#29]
PaDanby I believe you are correct but every time I visit Arlington I enjoy standing around in front of the Arlington house and think about General Lee walking around his farm and the thoughts that must have been going on in his mind. Because he was a gentleman and a very intelligent one at that I can only imagine some of his thoughts especially considering he only had about two or three days to make these decisions.

On another note as someone that was born and raised in Colorado I love my state for its personality and the personality of the native Colorado people.  But I have to tell you I have learned to love Virginia and most of the people there. You all have a beautiful state and I can easily understand how Lee felt. If I have to relocate to the east coast I would for sure move to Virginia.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
WRONG Lee's loyalty was with Virginia and had Virginia not left the Union he wouldn't have.

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's not hijack this guy's thread with North vs. South again, okay?

Back on topic....

My grandfather is interred there, or his ashes are.  I went to his funeral there and it was simply amazing.  Horses, carriage, firing of hte (7?) gun salute, etc.  He was a B-24 pilot in WWII and flew from Italy over Germany.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's a couple pictures I took while I was there back in June.  It was truly humbling to be surrounded by thousands of men and women who have given their lives to secure our freedom.  I'm glad I went.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top