Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Gunman Shoots Officer Twice With Assault Rife, Police Say

POSTED: 5:13 am EDT September 12, 2004
UPDATED: 7:20 am EDT September 12, 2004

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. --

Police say this cruiser caught fire when a round fired from an assault rifle struck a gas line.  

Police say a gunman with an assault rifle opened fire on a Miami-Dade County police officer around 2 a.m., striking her twice and setting her cruiser ablaze.

The officer is expected to be OK. It's not known how many rounds the gunman fired, but one of them hit the police cruiser's gas line, setting it on fire. Police are looking for the gunman. They say they known his name, but are not releasing it to the public.

"Somebody that's going to fire on a uniformed officer in a police car with an assault type weapon. That person's obviously showing very disregard for any law enforcment or any authority," said Pete Andrew of the Miami-Dade

The officer was in the area of Northwest 183rd Street and Miami Avenue in Miami Gardens when she was shot.

Copyright 2004 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The officer was struck twice and is fine?

That is not a assault rifle, once again the media at work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]
See, the AWB saves lives and makes the streets safer for our police officers. Don't let this get spun! It is proof that even on the eve of its demise the AWB is powerless to stop criminals from being criminals. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Wait a second!

The AWB hasn't sunset yet.

Hence, there are NO ASSAULT WEAPONS littering the streets yet.

Hence, this officer much have been shot by another officer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to know exactly what kind of weapon was used.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. --

Police say this cruiser caught fire when a round fired from an assault rifle struck a gas line.  

Police say a gunman with an assault rifle opened fire on a Miami-Dade County police officer around 2 a.m., striking her twice and setting her cruiser ablaze.

The officer is expected to be OK. It's not known how many rounds the gunman fired, but one of them hit the police cruiser's gas line, setting it on fire. Police are looking for the gunman. They say they known his name, but are not releasing it to the public.

"Somebody that's going to fire on a uniformed officer in a police car with an assault type weapon. That person's obviously showing very disregard for any law enforcment or any authority," said Pete Andrew of the Miami-Dade

The officer was in the area of Northwest 183rd Street and Miami Avenue in Miami Gardens when she was shot.

Copyright 2004 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

So what did he have incendiary rounds?

Guess they should have watched myth busters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Sent them email & I'll post anything I receive....

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 7:57 AM
Subject: Gunman Shoots Officer Twice With Assault Rife

> POSTED: 5:13 am EDT September 12, 2004
> UPDATED: 7:20 am EDT September 12, 2004
>
> Please give more info about the type or brand and caliber of the
> assault rifle that was used.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Surveillance Photo Released:
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#10]

"Somebody that's going to fire on a uniformed officer in a police car with an assault-type weapon, that person's obviously showing very disregard for any law enforcment or any authority, and therefore, no gun law is going to stop them from using a particular type of weapon, banned or not." said Pete Andrew of the Miami-Dade County Police Department.

There, made it factual.

Actually, I should say they didn't get to crazy in this article with anti-gun rhetoric.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The officer was struck twice and is fine?

That is not a assault rifle, once again the media at work.

Quoted:

First , one ofr each of you'se guyz.

Yes if you are hit with 2 rounds from an assualt rifle............................you could be minimally injured or dead, it depends where those rounds hit. Also the officer might have been hit with bullet fragments, or other things likes glass fragments - caused by the bullets. Further since she was in a car, other objects being hit before the officer was hit could have taken a lot of "zip" out of the rounds.

.223/5.56 through a car door, through a prisoner cage, through a seat, might just be very stoppable by regular old concealable armor.

As far as "fire". I'm guessing that the car in question was running when it was hit. If the car is running, and leaking gas the exhaust, esp the catalytic converters, or other hot parts of the car COULD ignite spilled gas, or the vapor that that gas will form.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes if you are hit with 2 rounds from an assualt rifle............................you could be minimally injured or dead, it depends where those rounds hit. Also the officer might have been hit with bullet fragments, or other things likes glass fragments - caused by the bullets. Further since she was in a car, other objects being hit before the officer was hit could have taken a lot of "zip" out of the rounds.

.223/5.56 through a car door, through a prisoner cage, through a seat, might just be very stoppable by regular old concealable armor.

As far as "fire". I'm guessing that the car in question was running when it was hit. If the car is running, and leaking gas the exhaust, esp the catalytic converters, or other hot parts of the car COULD ignite spilled gas, or the vapor that that gas will form.  

"...might have been....could have...I'm guessing...."

You must be a cop....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"...might have been....could have...I'm guessing...."

You must be a cop....

Yeah, excuse me for figuring out how the officer could have been shot twice, and the car caught on fire, LIKE IS REPORTED IN THE STORY.

I suppose you could spend all your time working out an alternate explanation the expalantion for how that happened.

Because certainly NO ONE has ever been shot twice, and recieved minor injuries.

Nor has any type of gas powered vehicle ignited after the fuel system integrity is compromised. It's not like gas is flammable, and automobiles have heat sources on them sufficient to ignite that fuel.

Is it?

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
This story cant be true, we all know criminals wont have assault rifles until the ban ends.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#15]
They don't have a suspect or weapon in custody, yet declare it to be an "assault weapon?"

Any way you slice it, it's still baloney.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Confirmation.... LE officers are so predictable.  I could tell by your enthusiasm what your profession was.

Its media spin.  Don't buy into it.  We all feel sorry for the woman and hope she has a full and quick recovery.  We all want the criminal punished.  We all want media spin silenced.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#17]
just curious how they came to know it was an "assault rifle" Any rifle chambered in .223  considered an assault weapon now?  Could you really do ballistics on a the round after hitting that many layers of metal? I"m glad the officer is alright. We had a guy last year taking shots out our crusiers. It was very unsettling to be in the area of the shootings. I hope that was just merely a random act.

J
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They don't have a suspect or weapon in custody, yet declare it to be an "assault weapon?"

Any way you slice it, it's still baloney.

No actually it is a true assault weapon, it is a weapon used to assault someone......................that much is clear.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Gunman Shoots Officer Twice With Assault Rifle  

Just twice?

Dang, it's a good thing that gunman was there; if not for him, the rifle may have acted on its on and shot the guy 20 times instead of 2.

Hope the cop recovers. Hope they catch the bad guy.

Hope the reporter gets projectile-strength diarrhea for the next week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that in some cities for the next little while EVERY firearm used in a shooting is going to be a "assault weapon"
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#21]

"Somebody that's going to fire on a uniformed officer in a police car with an assault-type weapon, that person's obviously showing very disregard for any law enforcment or any authority," said Pete Andrew of the Miami-Dade County Police Department."

Ya think?

I hope the officer recovers quickly and I'm very glad she wasn't killed. On the other hand, if the above quote was made by their public information officer, they need to start looking for his replacement.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

an "Assault Weapon"  is any weapon used to assault someone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think that in some cities for the next little while EVERY firearm used in a shooting is going to be a "assault weapon"

Think about what you wrote.  Every weapon used in a shooting IS an assault weapon.  

"Assault weapon"  any weapon used to assault someone.

"assault rifle"  Select fire magazine fed rifle firing an intermidiate cartridge.

"semi-automatic assault weapon"  type of firearm banned, by name or features, by the federal AWB.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#24]
So if someone gets slapped with a fish - is that an assault fish?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#25]
You can thank trash like this for "educating" homie about such things as assault rifles. Before the commies made it such a media spectacle, the run-of-the-mill gang banger didn't have a clue about armament and typically went armed with a Jennings 25 ACP or something along that line. Thanks Fineswine. You've made us soooo much safer.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No, but it would be an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but it would be an assault weapon.

[monty python] oh! oh! and what about pointed sticks??? [/monty python]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Well this is how it is going to be from here on out. Every crime will be reported as having been committed with an Assault Weapon. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#29]
This lit my ass.......and I decided to call them just now.  Their number is listed on their website under the contact info.

I asked the idiot answering the phone (news section press 1) how they knew it was an assault weapon and he said they didn't know.  I then asked him if they didn't have a suspect or weapon how did they know?  He started blabbering something about if I want to know to call police department.  I then asked him how they can be sure of their information if it was only what the police informed them without any evidence???   He started his blathering again about calling the Police Department for info........as I hung up.  

This such a crock of shit and I was just cranky enough this morning.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Yup.  It's already starting.  There was a similar hyped news report here in Clevelend this morning.

Every shooting incident will now be reported as an "AK-47 Assault Rifle."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This lit my ass.......and I decided to call them just now.  Their number is listed on their website under the contact info.

I asked the idiot answering the phone (news section press 1) how they knew it was an assault weapon ...

So your opionion is that either the officer was not assaulted, or that a weapon was not used?  I can understand having a complaint with the speculation that an assault rifle may have been used. However an assault weapon, was clearly used.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I love how the media interwines assault rifles and so-called "assault weapons".  It helps to further the confusion, an witnessed by the answers to another thread on this board.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked the idiot answering the phone (news section press 1) how they knew it was an assault weapon ...

So your opionion is that either the officer was not assaulted, or that a weapon was not used?  I can understand having a complaint with the speculation that an assault rifle may have been used. However an assault weapon, was clearly used.

My opinion is that this screwy news station decides that everything the police say is gospel, the truth and that they can recite it chapter and verse.............and in this case WITHOUT a weapon they KNOW it was an assault weapon.  Very good possibility it was a Mod 7660 Pump action Remmy 270 or any rifle.
But then again try to explain this to an apologist is like talking to Dan Rather thru my TV....
it just don't work.

Facts are:

NO WEAPON as evidence
NO PERSON in custody
NEW STATION decides to Report on specualtion on wether or not was an assault weapon or if it was more than one perp.

Just because the cops say it doesnt make it true but this prolly doesn't go well to a Po Lease Occifer right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#34]
gee.... if an assault weapon is any weapon used to assault someone then isn't that a little redundant?
after all, isn't it's use to assault someone what makes something a weapon?
after all, fish aren't designed as weapons and their primary use is not as weapons. as far as i can tell what makes the fish an assault weapon is that it was used to make an assault in the hypothetical. this, strangely, also makes it not only a weapon but an assault weapon?
following this logic is it possible to have a weapon that is not an assault weapon?
would an assault weapon be something designed as a weapon but not used to assault?
can a weapon be used without making an assault of some kind?
can we really be sure that the fish was used as an assault weapon and not a defensive weapon?
do you really think that a fine point can be put on these words or is it all a bunch of nonsense bullshit semantics. hmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think about what you wrote.  Every weapon used in a shooting IS an assault weapon.  

"Assault weapon"  any weapon used to assault someone.

"assault rifle"  Select fire magazine fed rifle firing an intermidiate cartridge.

"semi-automatic assault weapon"  type of firearm banned, by name or features, by the federal AWB.

You sound like Bill Clinton arguing about what the deffination of  'is', is.

BTW.  Your thread sig. is very appropriate...........resident  jbt, police apologist indeed.....shot any poodles lately, ??? Asshole....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My opinion is that this screwy news station decides that everything the police say is gospel, the truth and that they can recite it chapter and verse.............and in this case WITHOUT a weapon they KNOW it was an assault weapon.  Very good possibility it was a Mod 7660 Pump action Remmy 270 or any rifle.
But then again try to explain this to an apologist is like talking to Dan Rather thru my TV....
it just don't work.

Facts are:

NO WEAPON as evidence
NO PERSON in custody
NEW STATION decides to Report on specualtion on wether or not was an assault weapon or if it was more than one perp.

Just because the cops say it doesnt make it true but this prolly doesn't go well to a Po Lease Occifer right?

he's playing word games with you
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. --

You can set a car on fire by shooting it.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#38]
i highly doubt by shooting a hand full of rounds from a supposed assult rifle its probally not even a black rifle
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm dyin here.... tears streaming down.......

You remind me of the trooper giving the ticket to the motorist who was freaking out!!!!

I got a picture of you talking to one of your "customers", like that......

Beautiful............

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's side are you on?  Technically you are correct.  However, the sheeple will not interpret it the way you do.  The sheeple will read this and think the streets are flooded with "assault rifles".  This shit needs to be reported factually, as in "shot with a semi-automatic rifle/shotgun/pistol or unknown firearm" rather than buzzwords like "assault weapon".  It damages our cause, especially because the way the sheeple READ it, it's bullshit most of the time.  Just because you are technically correct doesn't mean you are right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Aw geez not this shit again!!

For the record:

An "Assault Rifle" is NOT the same thing as an "Assault Weapon"

"Assault Rifle" = select-fire or full-auto
"Assault Weapon" = semi-auto ONLY

I can't believe people on THIS BOARD are STILL ignorant about what an "assault weapon" is.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it just don't work.

Facts are:

NO WEAPON as evidence
NO PERSON in custody

Any weapon used to assault someone is an "assault weapon"
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
gee.... if an assault weapon is any weapon used to assault someone then isn't that a little redundant?
after all, isn't it's use to assault someone what makes something a weapon?
after all, fish aren't designed as weapons and their primary use is not as weapons. as far as i can tell what makes the fish an assault weapon is that it was used to make an assault in the hypothetical. this, strangely, also makes it not only a weapon but an assault weapon?
following this logic is it possible to have a weapon that is not an assault weapon?

Yes. A defensive weapon. break out your legal sourcebook sometime. "the manner in which it is used defines the tool"
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

For the record:

I can't believe people on THIS BOARD are STILL ignorant about what an "assault weapon" is.  

Are you refering to a "Semi automatic assault weapon" as defined by federal law?  If so please use the correct term so you dont further the ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the record:

Are you refering to a "Semi automatic assault weapon" as defined by federal law?  If so please use the correct term so you dont further the ignorance.

The term "Assault Weapon" did not exist until it was created by Dianne Fineswine and the rest of the ignorant antis when they decided to make up a new term for guns they wanted to ban because that looked really scary to them back in the late 80's.

"Assault weapon" is a completely CONTRIVED and ARBITRARY term that means NOTHING outside of an anti's gun-ban law.

Show me ANY legal or authoritative firearms reference to "assault weapon" OUTSIDE of the context of a gun-ban. The term "assault weapon" NEVER existed before until it was MADE UP by the antis.

"Assault weapon" is not a full-auto - that's ASSAULT RIFLE.

"Assault weapon" is not just any gun used to assault weapon otherwise even a revolver would be an "assault weapon".

Astounding that this much confusion still exists on THIS board.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's fuel for the fire.  (not the car)

Maybe,  just maybe,  the police are calling it an assault weapon because the victim officer SAW IT!!!.  After all, getting shot at tends to attract your attention.

Whaddya know.  A reliable witness.   Add other evidence such as (example) recovered 7.62x39 brass, and VIOLA! Assault rifle/weapon.   I suppose it COULD be a rare Belgian Drilling with two 7.62x39 barrels over a 28 ga shotgun,  but personally,  I'd go with the far more common assault rifle.

You guys never thought of becoming a rocket scientist have ya?  Of course,  the people actually on the scene have it wrong,  the experts at ARFCOM have spoken.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the record:

The term "Assault Weapon" did not exist until it was created by Dianne Fineswine and the rest of the ignorant antis when they decided to make up a new term for guns they wanted to ban because that looked really scary to them back in the late 80's.

"Assault weapon" is a completely CONTRIVED and ARBITRARY term that means NOTHING outside of an anti's gun-ban law.

Show me ANY legal or authoritative firearms reference to "assault weapon" OUTSIDE of the context of a gun-ban. The term "assault weapon" NEVER existed before until it was MADE UP by the antis.

"Assault weapon" is not a full-auto - that's ASSAULT RIFLE.

"Assault weapon" is not just any gun used to assault weapon otherwise even a revolver would be an "assault weapon".

Astounding that this much confusion still exists on THIS board.

Try to pay attention.  The term you are looking for is "Semi automatic assault weapon".  THAT is the term codified and defined in the federal law that is about to sunset.

"assault weapon" Any weapon used to assault someone.

"Semi automatic assault weapon" type of firearm banned by name or feature by the Clinton crime bill.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try to pay attention.  The term you are looking for is "Semi automatic assault weapon".  THAT is the term codified and defined in the federal law that is about to sunset.

"assault weapon" Any weapon used to assault someone.

All ya' gotta do is cite ANY legal or authoritatve firearms reference that defines (or even uses the term) "assault weapon" outside of a gun-ban context.

EDITED TO ADD: Bottomline - the term "assault weapon" did not exist at all until it was invented by the antis - and so on today - the last day of that god-awful ban - I don't want to argue, I just want to celebrate and thank God, the Republicans and the NRA that that fuckwrangled ban is DEAD, okay?  

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#49]
All this bickering over terms is worthless and serves NO purpose.  Even if you use large red type.

I swear,  if you all were in a sinking ship you'd be arguing whether the water is rushing in or the air is rushing out.

Let me break it down for you.  It's all you need to worry about, and I won't use big words.

A THUG

Used a GUN

To shoot a COP

Sheep now wantYOUR  guns.

Does that help?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top