Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 10:36:37 PM EDT
What do you do when you know a friend is unhappily married, and always seems to complain about their marriage? I always end up dumbstruck. I don't know what to say when friends mention this stuff. The other situation I tend to be in, is a friend who is unhappy, but doesn't talk about it. I feel their marriages are none of my business, but want to be a good friend. Listening works, but then come the questions. They start asking me what I think, and if I would put up with the things their spouses do. Everyone knows someone unhappily married, and most people wind up hearing about the marriages of others. How do you respond, or avoid responding?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Unhappily Ever After.   That was a cool show, better than the bundies I thought.

Be supportive and just listen, but dont start asking for any thing more than whats mentioned.  You dont want to get yourself dragged into anything, having to take sides and what not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Unhappily Ever After.

That was a cool show, better than the bundies I thought.

I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I stay out of it. It can never go right when you get messed up in their mess.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What do you do when you know a friend is unhappily married, and always seems to complain about their marriage? I always end up dumbstruck. I don't know what to say when friends mention this stuff. The other situation I tend to be in, is a friend who is unhappy, but doesn't talk about it. I feel their marriages are none of my business, but want to be a good friend. Listening works, but then come the questions. They start asking me what I think, and if I would put up with the things their spouses do. Everyone knows someone unhappily married, and most people wind up hearing about the marriages of others. How do you respond, or avoid responding?

I would avoid answering such questions altogether. I would just offer words of sympathy and get the hell out.

In this case, it really is a trap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If they want to talk, be a listener. My philosophy on marriage is simple. Marriages are as unique as the individuals in the marriage. No two are alike. They can not and should not be compared. What is unacceptable or unbareable to one couple might be perfectly fine with another and vise-versa.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would avoid answering such questions altogether. I would just offer words of sympathy and get the hell out.

That could be true. I first don't like to comment because it is none of my business, but I have a feeling if I say what I really think they will later be angry with me. I hate to sound uninterested in their lives, but I don't want to be toooo involved with other people's marriages either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That could be true. I first don't like to comment because it is none of my business, but I have a feeling if I say what I really think they will later be angry with me. I hate to sound uninterested in their lives, but I don't want to be toooo involved with other people's marriages either.

Offering any kind of advice in such situations, and the other spouse might blame you if something goes wrong, and it could get ugly quick from then on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard that the "Lifetime channel" gives great advice on these matters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Unhappily married????  I guess that would describe me.  In the process of divorce now.

I can tell you that it is very hard to not want to confide in friends at this difficult time.  Myself, I just talk to my very closest friends.  I try to see both sides and not bash the other half too much.  Usually they just listen to what I have to say and give very limited advice.

My other half, however,........tells fucking everyone our business.  Probably in the effort to make me look as bad as possible to as many people as possible.  It's frustrating for me, but I do try not to join in on that kind of fun--we have kids.  I try to be the bigger person through all of this.

Anyway, most of the time when someone confides in you as a friend, they just want to be listened to and validated for their feelings.  Most are not getting that at home.  

If you are friends to both in the marriage, my suggestion is that you run fast and run far.  Even if you don't pick sides, one party is always going to think that you are.  Can mean losing both as friends.  (Maybe that wouldn't be a loss)

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Personally, I stay out of it. It can never go right when you get messed up in their mess.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I heard that the "Lifetime channel" gives great advice on these matters.

Their advice would be something along the lines of 'have an affair since that will strengthen the relationship'.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

That gets my vote

J
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe try to point out some divorced people that are having tough times.

Too many people jump into seperation and divorce w/o thinking it through.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I always say, "That is a decision left solely to you."

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Can I get an AMEN!!!  

Venting is what women do to their girlfriends.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants me to, but I'm not gonna sit there and listen to someone bitch about the same thing over and over when they won't do anything about it.

Quoted:
Just tell them to keep you out of it if all there is goiing to be is bitching and no action.

They don't want your advice/opinion anymore that people on AR15.com who post for other's opinion do.

They just want you to agree with them.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Be there for your friends.  They will control how much/when they want to talk.  Don't pry on details, but if they haven't said much in a while, it doesn't hurt to ask how they are doing.  Trust me, they will talk  however much they want.  Don't pry.

JMHO

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Just about every time I was un happy in my marriage it was because I was not doing enough for the wife...never has it been because SHE wasn't doing enough for me.

Something to think about....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

That gets my vote

J

+2
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#20]
If their (relationship) will fail, it will.  Perhaps they'd be better off.  If all signs point to failure what's the point of suffering?  It'll be a bad deal no matter what.  

On telling your friends: if they ask your opinion, go ahead.  They asked you for your thoughts. In my experience, really bad relationships are doom to failure anyway, and seem to have been one of those "I told you so" or "why didn't you/anyone tell me?"  I know that sounds crappy, but face it, we've all seen-or have been through-it i.e., if I only knew then what I know now.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If their (relationship) will fail, it will.  Perhaps they'd be better off.  If all signs point to failure what's the point of suffering?  It'll be a bad deal no matter what.  

Well, the point is that they will never learn.  So even if they do get divorced chances are that they will have the EXACT same problem as before.

My .02 cents.  Either they meant their marriage to last forever or they did not.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Listen but stay the hell out.  That way you still have a friend after the divorce.

my .02
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Personally I'd tell them I'm not the person they should be talking to, their spouse is.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#24]
People Always bitch and moan.  It's human nature.  Tell them to count thier blessing, quit PMS'ing, get a PMA, and STFU!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"If you love her, let her go.  If she doesn't come back, she's with me."

SHe'll be RUNNING back within a day!

SGatr15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top