Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 8:56:14 PM EDT
I finally broke down and bought myself a new kit.  It's the new for 04 Mapex Pro M Maple series.  5 piece, 18x22 kick, 14x6 maple snare, 10x8 and 12x10 racks, 14x14 floor.  I have the 16x16 on special order.  I really dig it!  Hope I don't seem like I am bragging too much, but I am really glad to have this.  I have done hundreds of shows with my old Yamaha kit over the last decade and then some, it sounds killer but looks road worn and the hardware is held together by hardware store bolts!  So I am grateful that I have been blessed enough to get this:

I had an endorsement offer from Mapex but I turned it down because I quit the gig I had at that time without having another one.  The President of Mapex USA left to start up his own distribution company and they realigned the management so I don't have any contacts there anymore, but Mapex is really good drums and priced very well.

I also have my project studio set up again for the first time since my divorce.  Gonna get back into recording stuff....I really enjoy that too.

16 tracks of ADAT, mixed to PC and mastered with Sound Forge.  I did one project with this setup before the big D, and it turned out very, very well, good enough to release.  I am stoked!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

Do you have any clips online of stuff you've  recorded or played?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF kind of gun is that?  If I didn't know better I'd say that you pissed away a shitload of money one day away from the lifting of the AWB. No way you would do something like that!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF kind of gun is that?  If I didn't know better I'd say that you pissed away a shitload of money one day away from the lifting of the AWB. No way you would do something like that!

You have me LMAO!!!!!!!!  Yes I did.  I actually got the kit a couple weeks ago, but just signed up for photohosting last night.  Music was what I was meant to do.  It's too bad real life gets in the way sometimes.  The kit was 1100 bux.  I have a few thou wrapped up in the recording gear, which is cheap.  But it's all handpicked for clarity and dynamic range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Cool.

I would have to researched.  There is a folk guitar guy named Kenn Fox who I did some drum overdubs for on a couple records, and some of his stuff is out there, but I don't know if the sample songs are the ones I played on.  Another band I was with for two years has a record out in stores throughout the midwest (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tower, etc.) but it was released right before I joined.  The next band I was with I did a three song demo with on my gear, but it was never released.  Then I played with Rex Carroll from the 80's band Whitecross for a year.  I am on four or five songs on the record he will be releasing sometime this year or maybe next.  Currently, I am discussing finishing a full length record with the band I had together before Rex, and arranging a distribution deal to get it in stores.  I am pretty sure we will record it, but releasing it depends on what kind of funds we can round up for marketing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
All kidding aside, if that's what you like, enjoy it!  Will you still talk to us if you turn into a huge star?

Remember, don't love anything that can't love you back.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool.

I would have to researched.  There is a folk guitar guy named Kenn Fox who I did some drum overdubs for on a couple records, and some of his stuff is out there, but I don't know if the sample songs are the ones I played on.  Another band I was with for two years has a record out in stores throughout the midwest (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tower, etc.) but it was released right before I joined.  The next band I was with I did a three song demo with on my gear, but it was never released.  Then I played with Rex Carroll from the 80's band Whitecross for a year.  I am on four or five songs on the record he will be releasing sometime this year or maybe next.  Currently, I am discussing finishing a full length record with the band I had together before Rex, and arranging a distribution deal to get it in stores.  I am pretty sure we will record it, but releasing it depends on what kind of funds we can round up for marketing.

www.kennfox.com/KennFox.htm
?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All kidding aside, if that's what you like, enjoy it!  Will you still talk to us if you turn into a huge star?

Star = I highly doubt it.  I have met and supported some very well known acts, and for real, I am as good or better than a lot of famous cats at what I do, which is pop/rock groove drumming.  However, talent is only a small percentage of what gets people famous.  I did snag a nomination from WAMI (Wisconsin Area Music Industry association) for "Drummer of the Year" for 2003.  The nominee that actually won was the guy who is playing with Daryl Stuermer (Genesis, Phil Collins).

I look at it this way: if God sees fit to bless me into that position, then I better stay humble and honor Him for it!    
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Star = I highly doubt it.  I have met and supported some very well known acts, and for real, I am as good or better than a lot of famous cats at what I do, which is pop/rock groove drumming.  However, talent is only a small percentage of what gets people famous.  I did snag a nomination from WAMI (Wisconsin Area Music Industry association) for "Drummer of the Year" for 2004.  The nominee that actually won was the guy who is playing with Daryl Stuermer (Genesis, Phil Collins).

I look at it this way: if God sees fit to bless me into that position, then I better stay humble and honor Him for it!    

wow, it sure would be cool if you could make a living off of playing
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool.

?

That's it!!!!!  Check out "Jazz Rat".

Backstory.  At that point, my drums had been stacked in my garage for four years and I hadn't played at all.  Ken, who I had worked with before, called me up out of the clear blue and asked if I would do some drum tracks for him.  So I hauled my kit out of storage and went in cold, learned the tunes on the spot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Hello, glad to see another drummer on board! I dont have pic's of the kit right now but will get some later for ya. Nice set up for sure, Mapex Maple's are sweet stuff. Im not yet quite there at the level your at, here's what I currently have:
Tama Starclassic kit, all birch
10",12" and 14" tom's, 22" kick
DW Maple 6" X 14" snare, I also have a Pork Pie little sqealer back up snare
Zildjian brass: Custom A 22" ride, Custom A 12" crash, 14" crash and dark K hi hats
I just got a new DW 5000 pedal

My drums are probably so-so, I have mostly spent some doe on hardware, I also just got a new rack to try out DW/Pacific, sure is easy to set up.

My wife is a guitar player and song writer of the band, (Christian band) she also is the recording addict in the house, we recently got a Korg D1600. I have no clue how to use it. I love checking out studio's and gear, our's is kinda trashed right now.
Thanks for the pic's
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool.

?

That's it!!!!!  Check out "Jazz Rat".

Backstory.  At that point, my drums had been stacked in my garage for four years and I hadn't played at all.  Ken, who I had worked with before, called me up out of the clear blue and asked if I would do some drum tracks for him.  So I hauled my kit out of storage and went in cold, learned the tunes on the spot.

Here is a link:
www.kennfox.com/_mp3/brave_face/11_jazz_rat_clip_hifi.mp3

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out "Zam" on "Epiphany".  Ken is kinda freaky, he claims we sound better if we just go in the studio and figure the arrangements out as we go, so I never knew what the hell I was doing.  I did one session for each record and just kinda banged it out.

Thanks for digging that up!!!!  It's been awhile since I checked up on him!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hello, glad to see another drummer on board! I dont have pic's of the kit right now but will get some later for ya. Nice set up for sure, Mapex Maple's are sweet stuff. Im not yet quite there at the level your at, here's what I currently have:
Zildjian brass: Custom A 22" ride, Custom A 12" crash, 14" crash and dark K hi hats

My drums are probably so-so, I have mostly spent some doe on hardware, I also just got a new rack to try out DW/Pacific, sure is easy to set up.

My wife is a guitar player and song writer of the band, (Christian band) she also is the recording addict in the house, we recently got a Korg D1600. I have no clue how to use it. I love checking out studio's and gear, our's is kinda trashed right now.
Thanks for the pic's

Awesome!  I used a Tama rack with my old Yamaha kit, it made setup and tear down for the festivals real quick and easy.  Good roadies help too.  I think I can link a pic to my old kit, let me check it.....

Here we go, a couple pics at the Brat Stop in Kenosha WI.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for the pic's

What kind of tone does the Starclassic have?  There is another drummer here that really digs them.  I know the old Yamahe birch drums were highly coveted.  I have an original DW Turbo 5000 double pedal, but the bearings are shot.  I have to order some parts from DW.  

DW drums = the shiznit!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
You ought to try Polka!  You in the right place for it and that might be your ticket to fame and fortune!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad you don't live in my neighborhood....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice kit!

My Tama Artstar (Cordia) are sitting in my utlity room...  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Mapex makes a nice set of drums. Congrats on your purchase.

I'd like to someday get a set of those to try out. I've owned and played many brands including Tama, Pearl, Ludwig and Yamaha. Never had a chance to play any Mapex yet but they are very well made.

But just about any premium set from a quality maker are good these days. It looks like you chose well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#19]
my ex drummer has those same drums...

great sounding kit with big sound, good clarity, and plenty of punch...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]
You sound good!

The drummer in the garage band I played during college couldn't hold a beat as the night wore on and he got tired.  I've found there seems to be a shortage of drummers at the garage band level.  Seems everyone wants to play guitar.

Nice looking kit.  Best wishes with the fame and fortune.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I too have been playing for years.  I currently use a set I bought new in 1980.  Rogers XP-8 with all maple shells.  The drums are in very good shape and they sound phenomenal.

This is my original set up.  I used this for a long time with various 'hair bands'.

During stints with country-rock bands and others, I used this 'Ringo Kit' for years.

I now use this set-up as it is very versatile and not too hard to move around.

Some pics of my current set...

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I too have been playing for years.  I currently use a set I bought new in 1980.  Rogers XP-8 with all maple shells.  The drums are in very good shape and they sound phenomenal.

This is my original set up.  I used this for a long time with various 'hair bands'.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ArtyZ/ArtyZ2.jpg

During stints with country-rock bands and others, I used this 'Ringo Kit' for years.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ArtyZ/ArtyZ.jpg

I now use this set-up as it is very versatile and not too hard to move around.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ArtyZ/ArtsDrums.jpg

Some pics of my current set...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ArtyZ/kira.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/ArtyZ/Art.jpg

Sweet!  You play a similiar setup as I do.  What's with the lefty config?  Ambi?  What software did you use for those config graphics?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sweet!  You play a similiar setup as I do.  What's with the lefty config?  Ambi?  What software did you use for those config graphics?

Born lefty.  Play lefty.  Makes it kinda hard to sit in with folks on their drummers 'backwards' kit.
Check out the DW Drums website.  Look for 'Kit Builder' and you can do the same thing as above.  It's very cool.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Would you be interested in purchasing another ADAT?  I have a XT that is mint, less than 120 hours on the clock, and I need to get rid of it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#25]
holy crap!  That is a Rogers set!  I grew up playin' on a Rogers.  Thing was built like a tank.  I sold it a couple of years ago.  I miss it now....

The Pig.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Pearl.
Zildjian.

Wish I could play more than "When the Levee Breaks" and "Rock Candy".
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Too bad you can't play!

Nice kit Kill...lemme know if you need any new chops to practice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
holy crap!  That is a Rogers set!  I grew up playin' on a Rogers.  Thing was built like a tank.  I sold it a couple of years ago.  I miss it now....The Pig.

Great set of drums.  They never let me down.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Too bad you can't play!

Nice kit Kill...lemme know if you need any new chops to practice.

Totally, and thanks!  Wait a minute, where have you heard me play?  

I was actually going to come down to Disneyworld for the big event this weekend but cancelled with the hurricane and all.  My current fave new artist is Jeremy Camp.  Stryper is a long time fave, and Greg H who is doing Stryper's website is also doing stuff for Rex.  If you have any leads in rockin' CCM artists looking for someone to provide the spine, let me know!  Jeremy is actually about my speed nowadays.        
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top