Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 8:06:18 PM EDT
This would be a good opportunity to help Florida and make some money for some of you entremanures. All the Home Depots, Lowe's and local lumber yards are out of plywood here in the Panhandle. Most of it went south during past few weeks and now Northwest Florida is sol when it comes to plywood. 1/2 inch ply is going for $15-20..3/4 in is $20-25. There are people who are nervous from Pensacola to Appalachicola right now..and the local news said we are out of plywood, most of Alabama has sent what they have. Soooooo, I thought maybe some of you within striking distance of Northwest Fl. might want to load up and set-up in a parking lot down here.

Beware though...don't try and gouge us, the local LE's have already been doing checks on the generator sleuths and others who want to take advantage. I think adding the price of time/gas for your troubles, you could come out with a pretty good profit without gouging.

The local Lowe's was selling the last bit of pressboard at about the same price as plywood and they won't have any trucks coming to replinish..everything is going South.

If you got a truck and a trailer you could have a good trip down here. I'm not sure how much you could bring...but it would be gone within hours. Especially monday.

Just a heads up...we need the ply, so why not ask for it?

IM me if you have any questions, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the HomeDepots and Lowes here in Tampa/Brandon are out, but the local lumber yards are well stocked such as Robbins Lunber and 84 Lumber.  I would recommend looking in the phone book for lumber yards. Anybody else in Tampa nervous about this one? Tyron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for a lumber compan, was thinking about ways to profit from your misfortune.

But we dont make plywood, and we're about as far away as you could possibly be.

I'd love to ass-rape you on lumber, but I can't do it.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

This would be a good opportunity to help Florida and make some money for some of you entremanures. s.

No, it's not.

WARNING - THE FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL WILL PROSECUTE YOU IF YOU CHARGE EXTRA

So, stay home in Utah, Michigan, where ever, and just sell your plywood there, since you can't get extra $$ for the trouble of going to Florida.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would be a good opportunity to help Florida and make some money for some of you entremanures. s.

No, it's not.

WARNING - THE FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL WILL PROSECUTE YOU IF YOU CHARGE EXTRA

So, stay home in Utah, Michigan, where ever, and just sell your plywood there, since you can't get extra $$ for the trouble of going to Florida.

Yeah you can, its called emergency shipping fees.  Additionally, according to the AG rules, you have to INCREASE your price.  If someone from NC came down and sold wood at double the market value, its legal, since market value is not what is important, only that a company in state increased their prices in light of an emergency.  The services, if I recall correctly also have to be necessities, like shelter, food, water, etc.  Gas may even be on that list.

Its all a moot point since no one is going to drive down with wood, but I felt like arguing, so there!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah you can, its called emergency shipping fees.  Additionally, according to the AG rules, you have to INCREASE your price.  If someone from NC came down and sold wood at double the market value, its legal, since market value is not what is important, only that a company in state increased their prices in light of an emergency.  The services, if I recall correctly also have to be necessities, like shelter, food, water, etc.  Gas may even be on that list.

Its all a moot point since no one is going to drive down with wood, but I felt like arguing, so there!

Okay, well that's more like it.

I just hate to see the .gov  screw up the free enterprise system and leave no incentive for people to travel to Florida with supplies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
.... 1/2 inch ply is going for $15-20..3/4 in is $20-25. ....

Excuse me, but I think I will take a truck to florida, buy your cheap plywood and sell it back here for a profit. And I'm not entirely kidding either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
the real money would be in selling storm shutters that are permanently installed
assumingyou can convince florida people those are a good idea. Although seeing that so many people are rushing to buy plywood I don't think they could be convinced
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#8]
"Profiteering" is nature's way of saying PREPARE.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the real money would be in selling storm shutters that are permanently installed
assumingyou can convince florida people those are a good idea. Although seeing that so many people are rushing to buy plywood I don't think they could be convinced

After this hurricane season is over, I'm getting those heavy-duty metal shutters installed...those are supposed to stop 200 MPH projectiles...I'm not fucking around with getting plywood anymore!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just hate to see the .gov  screw up the free enterprise system and leave no incentive for people to travel to Florida with supplies.

Charging $25 instead of $20 a sheet for plywood is not gouging...charging $100 IS gouging, and will land you in jail in Florida...so please, price accordingly...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Profiteering" is nature's way of saying PREPARE.

Yes, it pisses me off when people complain about price gouging right before a disaster.  This hurricane was plotted to hit Florida A WEEK AGO.  Not to mention we have been through two other hurricanes in the past five weeks.  It isn't as if anyone didn't have plenty of time to prepare.  Plus, the local news channels always do LOTS of specials about hurricane preparedness at the start of EVERY hurricane season around here.

If people choose not to prepare for a hurricane well in advance, they shouldn't bitch about what happens to them later.  It is no one's fault but their own.  

My family has a pantry full of canned goods, five gallon buckets full of rice, beans, and sugar, 60 gallons of stored water, plus bottled water for drinking, 10 gallons of gasoline (frequently rotated), and other necessities as well.  I have had all of this in place for AT LEAST six months.  Anyone with half a brain down here would do the same.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:46:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup...my wife and I have enough supplies to get us through nuclear winter...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.... 1/2 inch ply is going for $15-20..3/4 in is $20-25. ....

Excuse me, but I think I will take a truck to florida, buy your cheap plywood and sell it back here for a profit. And I'm not entirely kidding either.

No kidding. Here in Norfolk plywood is $31 for the nasty looking stuff. When I built my bench I spent a whole $2 extra for a pieve of Birch plywood. Now I have a purdy bench.

Sorry to  hear of your troubles in FL though, GODSPEED.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Why don't people save the plywood after they take it down?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why don't people save the plywood after they take it down?

That's a damn good point...after all, it's already cut and drilled to fit...just stick it in the garage or something...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#17]
WE NEED HORNY CHICKS IN CONNECTICUT!!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 25 sheets of 4'x8' 5/8 plywood in Boynton Beach FL. Anyone wants to buy them from me for what I paid is welcome to it. IM me.

Short notice, I realize, but hey, it's all I can offer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Nope.   Nobody thinks and plans for the next disaster.

Every power outage I have a couple buddies that ask me about generators.  And after the lights come back on, they forget all about it in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
[Beavis]Heh heh heh ... you need "wood" ... heh heh heh[/Beavis]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
After charley we had guys selling your plain-jane chainsaw for $500, 20 amp generators for 2 grand. People who prey upon those in need burn me up. We posted signs on the interstate coming in that let everyone know non-licensed contracting violates FL law and is a felony.

J
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charging $25 instead of $20 a sheet for plywood is not gouging...charging $100 IS gouging, and will land you in jail in Florida...so please, price accordingly...

There is no such thing as gouging, there is selling at what the market will bear.  Capatilism is a good thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top