Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:38:11 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=1&u=/nm/20040912/ts_nm/korea_north_explosion_dc

SEOUL (Reuters) - A huge explosion rocked an area in North Korea (news - web sites) near the border with China three days ago and appeared to be much bigger than a train blast that killed 170 people in April, Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday.

"There were rumors that the explosion was much bigger than the one at Ryongchon train station and the United States is showing a big interest as the blast was seen from satellites," Yonhap quoted an unnamed source in Beijing as saying.

The cause had yet to be determined but the source said Washington was not ruling out the possibility that the blast may be linked to a nuclear test.

Yonhap reported that a mushroom cloud up to 2.5 miles in diameter was spotted after the blast in remote Yanggang province in the country's far northeast.

The New York Times reported in its Sunday editions that the Bush administration had received recent intelligence reports that some experts believe could indicate North Korea is preparing to conduct its first nuclear weapons test explosion.

South Korean government officials were not immediately available for comment.

Thursday was the 56th anniversary of North Korea's founding. The reclusive communist state often stages extravaganzas and big events to mark important anniversaries.

Train cars exploded at the Ryongchon railway station on April 22, killing 170 and wounding an estimated 1,300. The blast was believed to have been caused by a train loaded with oil and chemicals hitting a power line.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like they are getting ready to flex some muscle
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was a nuke, we already know it due to the unique flash signature of a nuclear detonation.  It would be a matter of the .gov deciding WHEN to tell us.  But if it is, NOT good.  I'm sure it would be typical NK.....piss poor shoddy construction, and spew dirty waste over a wide area.  Wonder where the fallout would come down?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There are satellites that detect the gamma rays emitted
when a nuclear device is detonated.
That 2.5 mile diameter cloud is pretty damn scary for a
"regular" explosion.
Anyone who know any military personell stationed in SK?
Maybe they went to some alert.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
pffft,  probably the mother of all tannerite  detonations.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't sound too good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I suspect there are a few trident subs close by.

I'd have to say, indeed!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are satellites that detect the gamma rays emitted
when a nuclear device is detonated.
That 2.5 mile diameter cloud is pretty damn scary for a
"regular" explosion.
Anyone who know any military personell stationed in SK?
Maybe they went to some alert.

No, it would be scary if the Fireball was that size.  That would mean it was Hydrogen bomb.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
... Sobering indeed. More here:

SEOUL, South Korea - A large explosion rocked the northern part of North Korea (news - web sites), sending a huge mushroom cloud into the air on an important anniversary of the communist regime, South Korea (news - web sites)'s Yonhap news agency reported Sunday.

Citing an unidentified source in Beijing, Yonhap said the explosion happened on Thursday in Yanggang province near the border with China. The damage and crater left by the explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county was big enough to be noticed by a satellite, the source said.

"We understand that a mushroom-shaped cloud about 2.2 miles to 2.5 miles in diameter was monitored during the explosion," Yonhap quoted an unidentified diplomatic source in Seoul as saying.

North Korea was founded on Sept. 9, 1948. Leader Kim Jong Il uses the occasion to stage performances and other events to bolster loyalty among the impoverished North Korean population.

Experts have speculated that North Korea might use a major anniversary to conduct a nuclear-related test, though there was no immediate indication that the reported explosion on Thursday was linked to Pyongyang's efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

Kim Hyong Jik is reported to hold a major missile base. North Korea, which has a large missile arsenal and more than a million soldiers, is dotted with military installations.

South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said Sunday the government is in the process of confirming reports that there were signs of an explosion in North Korea.

"I am not aware of details such as the size of the damage," he was quoted as saying by Yonhap after a National Security Council meeting.

On Saturday, North Korea said recent revelations that South Korea conducted secret nuclear experiments involving uranium and plutonium made the communist state more determined to pursue its own nuclear programs.

The South Korean experiments, conducted in 1982 and 2000, were likely to further complicate the already stalled six-nation talks aimed at dismantling the North's nuclear development. South Korea has said the experiments were purely for research and did not reflect a desire to develop weapons.

On April 22, train wagons at a railway station exploded in the North Korean town of Ryongchon, killing 160 people and injuring an estimated 1,300, according to some estimates. The blast was believed to have been sparked by a train laden with oil and chemicals that hit power lines.

The source in Beijing that told Yonhap about the explosion last week said it was reportedly bigger than the train explosion in Ryongchon.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They don't have to be all that close.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope we don't have to nuke them. All this is becasue Clinton didn't have the balls to stop them earlier.

God, why do we send thses asses food aid? Why didn't we just let the N Koreans starve themselfs them out? This is aweful.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]
There is no way in hell some of the major players will let this stand. NK  may have really screwed up.
They may try to play that stupid "We will stop if you pay us" crap again. It's past time for that stunt to work
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, an unnamed source!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope that N Korea really isn't nuclear. Kim Jong Ill is a psycopath and would nuke the US or they would give Nukes to the Terrorists.

We need to pray it isn't what we think it is. I would hate for the US to have to use nuclear weapons in a war with N Korea.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing is being said about it on either fox or cnn?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't be surprised if one of their Ammo Depots blew up, given NK incredible adherence to safety.  A large Ammo Depot high-ordering would be just like a small nuke going off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked the USGS site. No seismic activity
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember news stories saying we had found two nuclear tipped SCUD missiles incased in concrete in Iraq too, but that never amounted to anything. While this may be true, the lack of coverage is suspect.

Let's wait until all the details come out before we jump to conclusions. This is NK we are talking about. Large explosions are fairly common there because: a) they suck at safety, b) they have an idiot for a leader who doesn't care if some die when things go boom and c) they have lots of shit that can explode. North Korea doesn't have OSHA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#21]
ammo dump blowing up and just happening to create a mushroom cloud????
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

yeah, did you see that video of the ammo pile going up in iraq?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't have to be all that close.

Are we sure that this isnt our pre-emptive explosion? Are we running SPECOP's tonight?I hope that it is our boys letting the shit fly!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Latest story on NK blast is that it was from a Glock in which someone had fired a reloaded round.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yea......8,000 miles would be close enough. Shit they wouldn't have to leave Kings Bay!

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've heard that one of our land based nukes can be delivered anyplace in the world in 30 minutes or less or the next one is free.

Fuckin A!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

From Cam Rahn Bay - a bunker with 26 500lb GP bombs going off.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#30]
if it was a nuke test, i'm sure we would know it....?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Gee, thanks Ms. Allbright. Stupid cunt.

This isnt really news, just a confirmation.
Guess what? WE have to nuke them now, sooner or later.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#32]
You know I dont understand why the North Koreans express thier hatred for us so much.  

They hate the US and its allies why?  Because we fought against them in WW2 and the Korean war?  

The korean war was fought because North Korea tried to invade South Korea and take it over.  That is immoral.  All because South Korea established a more democratic government then North Korea.  

Since North Korea has proved they are of less intelligence then South Korea and the civilized world.  They have no regard for human life.  They only care about their little third world hell hole and preserving and expanding their power at all costs.

Well this explosion should in my opinion not be the last to hit North Korea.   Its not like Kim JOng Ill appears to have a head about him.  The only statements I have seen from him are "Kill America,  They are evil,  If America tries to invade N KORea they die,  We will attack America anyways and we are already at war with them".

Our military needs to take the flower out its ear and rain hell on N Koreas military and try and save the damn children.   God.  Why would they hold such hatred for one of the most safest countries to live in.  The one who has commited less attrocities then any other.  The one who tries  to help the world.  The country you can rely on to help you in a time of need.

They are fucking lunatics who think they are so different then us.  THey forget we live on the same sphere in space.  WE arent all that different.  All they think is what their government tells them to think,  and well most of them WANT to beleive we are evil.  Never met a N Korean who had a sense to talk logically on why they think like they do.

Please for the love of GOD do something about this shithole that is only going to get worse.  It breeds hatred and terrorism.  I dont want my grandchildren to grow up in a world where N Korea is sitting with Nuclear weapons and extremely strong anti american views.

But just make sure you take out their damn submarines.  They are tunnelers.  They relish in confined spaces like submarines and tunnels.  I dont doubt they have a shitload of subs and tunnels all over.  

Crazy Chinks.  I dont think they take us seriously enough.  Understand that the US is a powerful country,  because when you do the right things and value life you make alot of friends.  

N Korea are not humans.  NUKE THEM.  NEUTRON BOMB THEM.  PLEASE GET RID OF THE FUCKING CRIMINALS FROM MY PLANET SO I CAN LIVE IN PEACE.

You know im going to walk up tot he next Korean person I know and ask him how he thinks.  If he even tells me that he doesnt like America I am going to fucking put a bullet in his leg.  Im so sick of all this Anti american propaganda.  We ARE THE NICEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.  WE HAVE SAVED BILLIONS OF LIVES.  We have given Help to whoever has needed it, even our enemies.  We beleive in all religions. And we always defend what is right.

And you want to take advantage of that?  You want to be so close minded and arrogant that you want to say we are not good?

The fucking war begins.  Fuck them.  They cant even think right.  You know if they showed some proof on why they think we are evil then they would get better responses.  THEY ARE ALL TALK AND FUCKING PROPAGANDA WITH NO BACKING OR TRUTH WHATSOEVER.

Please just end them.   Make them go away.  They give me uneeded stress for no reasonw hatsoever,  besides they feel like it.  

BUSH DONT BE A HYPOCRITE.  TAKE IT TO THEM.  BACK UP ON YOUR WORDS THAT YOU WILL FIGHT WHOEVER POSES A THREAT TO THE US.  I CAN SHOW YOU A DOZEN VIDEOS WITH THELUNATIC TELLING US THAT HE IS AT WAR WITH US.

FUCK THE NORTH KOREAN GOVERNMENT AND ITS MILITARY
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#33]
[burys head in sand.]Just more communist posturing. Nothing to be concerned about.[/burys head in sand.]

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

nope, they dont work from close by, ballistic missles need distance to orbit and fall
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#35]
PyongYang needs to become a glass parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
maybe he needs a reminder that ours are bigger.

sad thing is kim jong ill is crazy and will use them. he has to be stoped!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Well at least we cant blame this on the religion of peace.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I always liked to think that the poorly explained trainyard explosion was one of those clandestine anti-terror ops we won't get to learn about for 30 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I personally don't think it's a nuke.  More than likely someone smoking at the local ammo dump.   A 2 mile diameter cloud isn't all THAT big, and the hole could be 100 ft across and be seen by satellite.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You know im going to walk up tot he next Korean person I know and ask him how he thinks.  If he even tells me that he doesnt like America I am going to fucking put a bullet in his leg.  Im so sick of all this Anti american propaganda.  We ARE THE NICEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.  WE HAVE SAVED BILLIONS OF LIVES.

Yes, we are so nice that we'll shoot someone in the leg if they disagree with us.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a friend in the Army...he's in SK right now...I wonder if he knows anything...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From Cam Rahn Bay - a bunker with 26 500lb GP bombs going off.
www.petester.com/vnpics/26_500.jpg

I saw video of Coalition forces blowing up an ammo dump in Iraq...that was a HUGE fucking explosion...looked like a small nuke...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
North Korea cloud 'not nuke blast'

Could it be a meteorite impact???  Remember Tunguska???
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Japanese Seismic Activity

This event took place at approx  02:05  09/10/2004 gmt
Roughly 17:05 09/09/2004 Korean time
Something happened !
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Something happened !

"Page cannot be displayed"
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something happened !

"Page cannot be displayed"

Double http...remove the first one...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Something happened !

interesting
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Still doesnt work
http://www.fnet.bosai.go.jp/freesia/waveform/prev.html

Page has all Japanese seismic stations choose "SELECTED WINDOW" and enter date.
Korean time is 09:00 offset of GMT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top