Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2001 9:22:48 AM EDT
I have one on layaway right now. I'm going to get it this week sometime. It is the fullsize parkerized w/novak sights. Its a 2000 model -before they started with the integral safety lock. I sure don't want a gun with a set of keys[>:/]
does anyone have one like this? if so what do think?
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Bricklayer

Are you a mason? I am a professional House painter. I was just wondering with the title bricklayer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.1911forum.com/[/url] .mmk
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Lougotzz,
Yeah, I'm a brick mason. plus I do block and stone work too. my favorite is doing fireplaces and brick work. My stepdad and I are partners and we have our own business. thus the name...... [:D]
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the exact model you described.  I boutht it when they first came out, and before the prices started to rise.  
I got it for $525, fully loaded with (2) mags.  No other work done on it.  In terms of reliability, it shoots exceptionally better than my custom carry Colt Commander (about $1200).  Fired about 200 rounds of various ammo- no glitches whatsover.  Accuracy?  About 3" at 25 yards- plenty accurate for combat.  Fit, finish, and overall quality?  What can I say, it's a typical Springfield Armory.  Which says a multitude in and of itself.  My only complaint is that the Springfield beavertail saftey digs into my palm a little more than the Ed Brown beavertail safety on my Commander.
If yours is anything like mine, you'll be real happy with it!
***ptp
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
What's this crap about new Sprinfields made with lock and key???

If so, they can kiss my business good-bye. I am right now still saving up for a loaded Champion model.

I might go Kimber now and be sure to write Springfield WHY I did so...
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
M4C,
Before you go ripping SA a new one, remember this:  certain companies were REQUIRED to add extra safety measure in order to continue to sell their firearms.  Kimber did the same thing. The only difference is that their safety measure is entirely internal.  Both safety devises DO NOT affect the SA or Kimber firearm's performance in any way.
I own H&K, Sig, Beretta, Smith, Colt, Bushmaster, Remington, and Springfields.  And I will tell you this: Of all the companies, overall customer service, supportive of gun rights, and product quality, Springfield Armory is my favorite.  H&K & Bushmaster prefer only dealing with government contracts- and when I was on the PD they weren't very well liked.  Colt quality has dropped.  Remington, Sig, and Beretta don't put that much emphasis on civilian gun rights.  Smith & Wesson?  Nothing needs to be said here.
None of these issues relate to Springfield Armory.  They are a very good company.
***ptp
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking Kimber is going to put some kind of lock on their guns too. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere lately. On the the new Springfields you could replace the mainspring housing and throw away the keys.
Right???
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Bricklayer,
That's actually correct.  However, unless you REALLY know what you're doing, I'd have a gunsmith do it for you.  Anytime you deal with the safety mechanism on a firearm, I don't go the quick or cheap route.
Again, I think you'll be real happy when you pick up your SA 1911.
Good shooting!
***ptp
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#9]
It will be my 1st .45 [bounce]

- bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Part-time Pork:
M4C,
Before you go ripping SA a new one, remember this:  certain companies were REQUIRED to add extra safety measure in order to continue to sell their firearms.  
View Quote

You mean SA did this to comply with CA's AB15, right?
Not for the rest of the country though?

I do agree that SA is a staunch supporter of civilian ownership.
You left out ARMALITE [:)] they're worth a mention too!
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#11]
In my very humble opinion Bricklayer, anyone's .45 collection would be complete with these two sidearms: a quality 1911 (Springfield, Kimber, etc.) and a Sig 220.  I've tried all the other .45's, and few compare to these two.  If you have one of each, I believe you'd have a .45 pair that would make any civilian, police office, or military op proud.
My .02c worth.
***ptp
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By the bricklayer:
I'm thinking Kimber is going to put some kind of lock on their guns too. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere lately. On the the new Springfields you could replace the mainspring housing and throw away the keys.
Right???
- bricklayer
View Quote

You'll need a new mainspring housing, mainspring cap, and mainspring cap retaining pin to restore a SA to original specs. If you are at all mechanically inclined it is a piece of cake, just get an exploded view drawing before you start.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#13]
It will be my 1st .45 [bounce]
- bricklayer
View Quote
[smoke]WELCOME TO THE 1911
FAN CLUB[smoke]I have a steel 1911-A1. SMOOTH. 10 shooting star mags.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Part-time Pork, what brand or type of ammo shoots best out of yours? just wondering...
thanks
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Bricklayer,
In terms of reliability, it shoots anything.  Accuracy wise, the Federal Hydrashocks and Remington Golder Sabers shoot pretty well (well under 3" at 25 yards).  Remember though, I've only shot mine a total of 200 rounds.
As a defense round, I carry the Ranger SXT's.  They're not the greatest, but their quality control is good, and I still get them at the law enforcement rates: $14 / box of 50.  
Hope that helps.
***ptp
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Part-time Pork, what brand or type of ammo shoots best out of yours? just wondering...
thanks
-bricklayer
View Quote

Don't be a fool with your money. Get some wad
cutters for practice; $140/1000, Corbon or Hydro
shock for outside carry; $11/20 and some Magsafe
for interior home defense. 230grain across the
board.
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, since Elcope is in reserves this weekend, I'll tell you all about his...  He got the loaded stainless SA (old style, pre lock on the mainspring housing)  We've burned 600 rounds through it so far.  1st 100-150 were various ball ammo, then we took it out a few times and shot a lot of my favorite load (200 gr. SWC over 5.3 gr. of VVN320, lit up by a Federal LP primer in any old brass)  His gun never choked once.  For the un-iniated 1911 people out there, it usually takes a quality gunsmith to perform some voodoo, black magic, and a throating job to get that kind of reliability with SWCs.  His gun needs trigger work and dehorned pretty bad, but other than that, I have no complaints on that piece.  And I'm one of those guys thats shot 5 1911s so loose that there was no help for them (back in my hey-day, I used to burn up 12-20K rounds a year)

Now, the latest scuttlebutt on Kimber is that S&W is the ones doing all their forgings.  Lots of people (including me) have sent them e-mails asking them about it, and recieved NO reply.  I like their idea for their new firing pin block safety though.  It'll be similar to a series 80, except squeezing the grip safety will disengage it.  If I were buying a "commander" or compact sized gun, I'd go Kimber.  Their slide travel is .400", same as full size guns.  Makes them a lot more reliable.  I'd really like to have a Pro Carry CDP.  I've got a buddy with one, and they are SWEEEEEET!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Lougotzz,
Yeah, I'm a brick mason. plus I do block and stone work too. my favorite is doing fireplaces and brick work. My stepdad and I are partners and we have our own business. thus the name...... [:D]
- bricklayer
View Quote

Good for you, glad to see another tradesman here. I know how hard you work. I think being a mason is the hardest trade. You guys work like dogs. I would say carpentry (framers) are next then I would say painters. I was an electrician before painting and I didn't work as hard. It was physical labor but not as bad as painting. Plumbers and steamfitters work hard but I still think painters work harder. Be cool
Link Posted: 6/3/2001 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope mine doesn't do this!!!!!!!
[img]http://frognet.net/~jmcadoo/Broken1911.jpg[/img]

I found this on the link MMK posted above.

<><>

Lougotzz, I bet the weather affects your work as much as it does mine. We can't seem to get much done for all the rain the last 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 6/3/2001 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to get one of their Longslides. That is a sweet pistol!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top