Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 9:14:47 AM EDT
I've been skimming the threads and although some people have asked similar questions, I haven't seen a serious response...How much will prices really be affected by the sunset? My guess is that rifles formerly known as 'pre-ban' will be similar in price to rifles formerly known as 'post-ban', say around $800-$900...Obviously, rifles formerly known as 'post-ban' will be worth much less after the sunset...I'm thinking I should have sold mine a few weeks ago...

Thanks...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless a rifle has some particular collector value the market will dictated price. A few Colt models and some variations that are no longer produced might hold on to higher prices. But why pay a higher price for a “pre-ban” that is exactly the same in appearance and function as a new rifle.

Unless a “pre-ban” is in some other way special there is no reason to pay extra for it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I see what you're saying...rather than buying a rifle that was a 'pre-ban,' just buy a new rifle that has been manufactured after the sunset...

Still...I'm curious to know what opinions are about ballpark prices...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the big change will be magazine prices, especially Glock and 10-22.

17 shot mags for my G17 for only $20!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't see why "pre-ban" guns could possibly stay high in price, but I'm sure dealers will try to get the money out of them.  As for "post bans," why would their value go down?  When I'm shopping for a rifle, I'm looking at  wear and functionality.  If it's in good condition and my requirements don't include pre-ban features, I can't imagine seeing a price cut.

I have a couple of "new in bag, unused" Butler Creek 25 rd mags for the 10/22.  I've seen them at guns shows going for $65, but when I see new ones on the shelf for $10 at Walmart, I can't see dealers keep that price because of "historic value."
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"historic value."

I can see it now at the gunshow... a little cardboard sign for "historical magazines banned in 94' - extremely rare" $65each.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I am expecting a very very small decrease in prices. Basically just enough to catch the eye of a shopper. Just as dealers and vendors prey on the uneducated consumer, they will continue to do so after the ban.

After a few months of people finding the real deals will the other dealers and vendors realize the futility of charging such a high price.

It will take 2-3 months before the majority of vendors come back down to earth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget, it is still illegal to have AR15 in the side of your rifle. That may be worth something to some collectors.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't forget, it is still illegal to have AR15 in the side of your rifle.

Not as of Monday, it won't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't forget, it is still illegal to have AR15 in the side of your rifle. That may be worth something to some collectors.

???? Not after the 13th. The law that specifically bans the "AR15" IS the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a rise out of you guys!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Got a rise out of you guys!

I really do not expect mag prices to go to the original lows--but I do expect a LOT more "mag whores" now that we all know what can happen.  I expect many of our guys to have several hundred mags--just for the "comfort factor" of possessing them--and this will serve to keep prices up.  With my FFL, the first Beretta 92FS mags I bought were $11.38 each--then $14.50 right before the ban.  They quickly went to $60 each following, then more recently back to around $40.  Time will tell, but I don't think "cheap" mags are coming around any time soon.  

Bite your tounge Mike, I am seeing glock mags for $18 and 25 rd 10/22 for $20. It could happen, if you believe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
‘Pre-Ban’ is the only reason those OLD rifles went up in value. Now those ‘Pre-Ban’ rifles are nothing but OLD rifles and should only be worth what a OLD rifle is worth, nothing more!

And I don’t feel sorry for those that will lose out when no one will pay the $1500 and up price for these OLD rifles.

SSD
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#15]
By the way...if anybody is interested, there is a pretty good article on what will be changed by the sunset in the October issue of Shot Gun News...

Thanks for the replies...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I would expect used pre-ban rifles to be worth only slightly more than used post-ban rifles of similar condition.  NIB pre-ban rifles will be worth slightly less than brand new production rifles.

That is how I will value them anyways...which seems like a perfectly logical approach.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It won't be illegal to have now(or was it then,after the ban) just if Colt decides to make some new rifles with Colt Government,or AR/15  then the old rifles will have no collectability!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My expectation is that mag prices will fall fairly slowly, reaching '94 levels in a few months or so. At first, the extra demand for new highstandard capacity mags and the rush to produce and ship more may keep the prices high, depending on how well it was all planned, but everything should normalize fairly soon.

I wouldn't expect to see much change in the price of new rifles. They may drop somewhat over the next couple of years as customers don't feel that "get it before it's banned" urgency, and suppliers become more willing to invest in producing those rifles when it becomes clear they won't be banned again at any moment.

Former pre=ban rifle prices have probably already been falling to new rifle levels. I expect they'll stay there or lower, unless there's some reason for them to be collector's items. Of course, some asshats will probably continue trying to get ban prices for their stuff, but that sort of thing's nothing new.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I think mags are gonna drop pretty quickly in price also remember that pretty much all manufactures still produce full capicity mags (not high capicity mags like the gun grabbers like to call them) also alot of the newer mags will probably have for law enforecement officers only but since the sunset this wont matter they will be equally legal for both law enforecemnt and civillians so dont freak out if someone trys selling you one. Also those 25,30 and 50 round mags for 10/22 might be labeled for export only since canada has always allowed them.  I have emailed people selling leo mags and have been quoted $50 for 10/22 drums and seen beta mags for less than $250 after the ban so thats about half what they were before. I can also see alot of post 94 rifles going for cheap for example I will be selling my post ban ak for whatever I can get for it in order to pick up a new underfolder
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I sold off all my pre-bans for a tidy price I might add!  That was about eight months ago,and I had all these 1960's Colt mags!    So I tried to get what I thought was a fair price for them(since ban or no they would never be made again) well did I get my ass handed to me in e-mails!!!

So I will keep these First Colt Mags and buy another rifle to go with them!!

I have a line on the PWA with Colt SP1 upper no BD that I might just be able to buy back now that the ban is over!!!

It's all about timing or lack of that makes the difference,I don't concider the PWA any better or any worse than any other AR/lower!!

But I like that Colt SP1 upper(even if it is 1/12 and pencil)!

Yes I think the AR/15 prices will go down!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top