Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 8:54:31 AM EDT
I recall a thread a several months ago (or possibly longer) where it seems the USAF is testing out the YF-23 as a possible candidate for the new intermediate bomber project. I think I recall a version of the F-22 and perhaps some other aircraft also being involved. Just wondering if any more tesing or evaluating has taken place. It would be cool if we could have the F-22 taking care of air superiority needs while the F-23 goes in and knocks the hell out of something. I always loved both designs and think both are too good not to adopt. Having seperate missions would make that more feasible, even in this day and age of multi-role everything. Plus, the fact that the YF-23 has very promising air-to-air ability, it would be nice to have some of them around, just in case we ever find ourselves needing greater numbers of air-to-air capable advanced jets. Plus, I always wanted to get to see the two aircraft go head to head, to see which really is the best.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It hasn't happened yet, that was just a discussion of a proposal, and it was a long shot since it requires building new airframes.  The alternative is reengining the B1 with F119s.  But nothings been decided.  If they go for the new airframe route it would be 3 or 4 years before one flew once they decided to cut metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top